What's new

Battle-Winning Role of the Gunners in Kargil War

Like someone above commented,I can't give thanks for this post.Because I know only too well how does it feel like to loose someone we hold dear to us at the hands of those barbarian bastards.I for one can not glorify or even fathom someone's death by calling him a martyr.To me,every soldier's death is sad.
RIP to your cousin.
You can think of the word 'martyr' as an acknowledgement that he died in a good cause, that others may live. It doesn't have to be for glorifying the death itself, which is usually done by the religiously brainwashed.

One of my Cousin was at Kargil when this war happened, He had just joined IA. I was quite young then. He told me about how IA fought but being too young I cant remember much. Wish I could ask him now.
Wow! I didn't know most of you guys were little kids during the Kargil war!! :woot: You missed all the fun! :rolleyes1:

Ok, seriously, check out what Pakistan General Jamshed Gulzar Kiani, ex 10 Corps Commander had to say about Indian arty shelling - see from 6:30 onwards. He says that the Indian artillery responded which such intense shelling that there is no parallel to it!!

He further goes on to say that though the PA fought extremely well, they didn't have a chance against the massive Indian artillery onslaught as the Pakistanis lacked adequate cover and were therefore forced to withdraw.

The destruction of the Pakistani logistics base at Mantho Dhalo by the IAF, signaled the end of the Kargil war as vital supply lines were destroyed and the PA were out of ammo, water, and rations. Mush's grand design of capturing Siachen lay in tatters.

There are multiple WLR in development I think .

One of them was ordered by the military .

But could not find any source that they are operational.
I don't think there are "multiple" one's under development,but a single one.
BEL WLR (Swathi), derived from Rajendra PESA radar of Akash SAM project,of which 28 no were ordered,and an more advanced version of the same is said to be under development.

There are multiple WLR in development I think .

One of them was ordered by the military .

But could not find any source that they are operational.
BEL WLR (Swathi), derived from Rajendra PESA radar of Akash SAM project,of which 28 no were ordered,and an more advanced version of the same is said to be under development.

Wow! I didn't know most of you guys were little kids during the Kargil war!! :woot: You missed all the fun! :rolleyes1:

Ok, seriously, check out what Pakistan General Jamshed Gulzar Kiani, ex 10 Corps Commander had to say about Indian arty shelling - see from 6:30 onwards. He says that the Indian artillery responded which such intense shelling that there is no parallel to it!!

He further goes on to say that though the PA fought extremely well, they didn't have a chance against the massive Indian artillery onslaught as the Pakistanis lacked adequate cover and were therefore forced to withdraw.

The destruction of the Pakistani logistics base at Mantho Dhalo by the IAF, signaled the end of the Kargil war as vital supply lines were destroyed and the PA were out of ammo, water, and rations. Mush's grand design of capturing Siachen lay in tatters.

Also I wonder what if IA had access to WLRs at the time of Kargil maybe there would have been much less casualities in IA & the war may have been over earlier. :undecided:

Also I wonder what if IA had access to WLRs at the time of Kargil maybe there would have been much less casualities in IA & the war may have been over earlier. :undecided:
Weapon Locating Radars are used for counter mortar/counter battery fire to silence enemy artillery guns. The irony of the Kargil war was that Pakistan could not afford to use its artillery in the way it should have, as Mush had told the world that Pakistan has nothing to do with Kargil as it was an indigenous Kashmiri uprising by the Kashmiri 'freedom Fighters' and that the Pakistan Army wasn't involved!! And obviously, if they were freedom fighters, how could they be supported with artillery that they didn't possess?

As a result, neither could they use their air force, nor artillery with any effect.

Last edited:
Weapon Locating Radars are used for counter mortar/counter battery fire to silence enemy artillery guns, The irony of the Kargil war was that Pakistan could not afford to use its artillery in the way it should have, as Mush had told the world that Pakistan has nothing to do with Kargil as it was an indigenous Kashmiri uprising by the Kashmiri 'freedom Fighters' and that the Pakistan Army wasn't involved!! And obviously, if they were freedom fighters, how could they be supported with artillery that they didn't possess?

As a result, neither could they use their air force, nor artillery with any effect.

But I read somewhere that 80% of the casualties on Indian side were because of enemies Artillery...Ain't there no truth in that?

OK , I was wrong . It looks like there is only one WLR Swathi as you mentioned.

BEL+%25281%2529.JPG

It's exhilarating to hear the acknowledgment of our action by enemy himself ...

thanks for posting this video ...

Well,WLRs are much less effective in rugged mountainous terrain,let alone in the Kargil and surrounding sectors.The reason why Pak arty was so deadly accurate and effective because Pakistani FSOs were sitting atop the peaks overlooking the highway and other IA positions and directing their arty forces.........not because of some WLRs.

Well,WLRs are much less effective in rugged mountainous terrain,let alone in the Kargil and surrounding sectors.The reason why Pak arty was so deadly accurate and effective because Pakistani FSOs were sitting atop the peaks overlooking the highway and other IA positions and directing their arty forces.........not because of some WLRs.

Hmm...Thanks mate for clearing the doubt...

But I read somewhere that 80% of the casualties on Indian side were because of enemies Artillery...Ain't there no truth in that?

Actually, it was the other way round. 80% of enemy casualties were due to our Arty firepower.

Propaganda!! Though there were a few casualties due to Pakistani shelling, it wasn't much to write home about. There is absolutely no comparison between the massive Indian Arty barrages, especially with the Bofors that plastered the enemy, and the sporadic Pakistani shelling.

Propaganda!! Though there were a few casualties due to Pakistani shelling, it wasn't much to write home about. There is absolutely no comparison between the massive Indian Arty barrages, especially with the Bofors that plastered the enemy, and the sporadic Pakistani shelling.

Yeah, the role of Bofors cannot be denied but still we are yet to procure a single piece of Artillery. Pvt players showcased their designs but nowhere to test. M777 deal yet to be signed. Thanks to Babus.:frown:

Yeah, the role of Bofors cannot be denied but still we are yet to procure a single piece of Artillery. Pvt players showcased their designs but nowhere to test. M777 deal yet to be signed. Thanks to Babus.:frown:

And now M777 production line is about to be closed down.I think IA should now instruct DRDO to retro fit the upgunned M46 howitzers with an digital FCS,ACCS,an ammo craine,autoloader etc and induct them en mass.

Even I know 2 guys from engineering branch. They told me how they built the roads under heavy artillery shelling from Pakistan's side and fear of mines in that region.. Pakistanis used to pound 50 - 100 shells daily on the them but work used to continue even in heavy pounding by pakis.

Back
Top Bottom