What's new

Battle Report #13 - Battle of Jhelum/Hydaspes 326 BC

This piece is a gem @AUSTERLITZ sir.
If anything this shows that the people to the east (and to the immediate west) of river Indus have always been an unruly lot who never lacked the will or courage to vehemently oppose oppression and would never willingly cede their freedom to a foreign invader before putting up a fierce resistance;those ill-fated 7000 Indian mercs were a signing example of the courage and devotion of the people of this valley.My salute to them who tried to resist the ferocious Macedonians till their last drop of their blood despite of losing their commander,getting battered and exhausted by constant fighting.Moreover, even when overwhelmingly outnumbered and hopelessly outgunned and totally unprepared they chose to fight instead of taking the easier and ignominious way of pleading for their lives.This same thing was observed during the British rule,especially in the eastern India.

SORRY for this off topic post op,but I just couldn't resist showing my respect and gratitude to the fallen of our land.

PLEASE carry on this great analysis of historical conflicts from purely strategic and tactical pov.

Siege Of Aornos

Even as the siege of massaga was proceeding,Alexander as usual thinking ahead had dispatched several of his commanders to proceed forward and take the neighbouring smaller strongholds to follow up his seizure of massga.This was done to prevent the inhabitants from fleeing and joining forces with indian tribes further inland.he issued the following orders, Coenus was to proceed to an oppidum by the name of Bazira—he expected this town to capitulate as a result of Massaga. Simultaneously, he sent Alcetas, Attalus and Demetrius to Ora with the very specific orders to blockade the oppidum of Ora until he could arrive himself and take it.

At Ora things went relatively well ,the macedonians easily beat back a sortie of the inhabitants and proceeded to besiege it.At Bazira however,situated on a steep rock ,Coenus made no progress.Alexander with massaga taken,moved at first towards bazira but changed plans and reidrected his main body towards Ora when he learned that Abhisara[Abhisares],the king of hazara.(A small kingdom north of taxila on the east bank of the indus)was preparing to relieve the place.He also commanded Coenus to create a camp with a garrison at bazira to watch the place and rejoin alexander at ora.Encouraged at Coenus's departure,the tribesmen at Bazira made a sally but these lightly armed foes were soon driven back with 500 dead by the macedonians.The full brunt of the macedonian war machine fell on Ora which was stormed days later.On hearing of the fate of Ora,the disheartened denizens of bazira burnt the place and escaped.Abhisara too gave up any plans for a cross indus intervention.The macedonians now followed the fleeing inhabitants through the shangla pass(see above map) and arrived to where the survivors from all directions in this region had taken refuge - The Stronghold of Aornos ('Avarana' in sanskrit - Cover or hiding place)

The mountain, which is at least twelve miles in circumference, and rises to a height of more than seven thousand feet above the sea, or five thousand above the Indus, is washed on its southern face by that river, which at this point is of great depth, and enclosed by rugged and precipitous rocks, forbidding approach from that side. On the other sides, as at Massaga, ravines, cliffs, and swamps presented obstacles sufficient to daunt the bravest assailant.It was accessible by a single pathway to the summit.It had a flat summit well supplied with natural springs and wide enough to grow crops: it could not be starved to submission.Local legend held that even the mythical Krishna had not succeeded in taking the fortress,whom the macedonians held synonimous with Hercules.Thus the son of zeus set out to outdo Herakles,another son of zeus.
Alexander first secured his rear with garrisons at Massaga,Bazira and Ora.Then established a large supply depot in a nearby town,in case the assault failed and his troops had to blockade the place.He conducted a thorough personal reconssaince,Neighboring tribesmen who surrendered to Alexander offered to lead him to the best point of access.

Ptolemy managed to gain a foothold on a neighbouring spur to the west,but alexander's initial attempt to effect a junction with this force were repulsed by sorties.After 2 days of fierce skirmishing,Ptolemy was able to beat back attacks on his field fortifications and a junction was made.At the vulnerable north side leading to the fort, Alexander and his catapults were stopped by a deep ravine.

Examination of the ground showed that a direct attack was impossible until some of the surrounding ravines should be filled up. Plenty of timber was available in the adjoining forests, and Alexander resolved to use this material to form a pathway.
To bring the siege engines within reach, an earthwork mound was constructed to bridge the ravine with carpentry, brush and earth. The first day's work brought the siege mound 50 m (60 yards) closer, but as the sides of the ravine fell away steeply below, progress rapidly slowed; nevertheless, at the end of the third day, a low hill connected to the nearest tip of Pir-Sar was within reach and was taken, after Alexander in the vanguard and his first force were repelled by boulders rolled down from above.Within the brief space of four days Alexander succeeded in gaining possession of a small hill on a level with the rock, and in thus securing a dominant position. The success of this operation convinced the garrison that the capture of the citadel was merely a question of time, and the negotiations for capitulation on terms were begun.The besieged, being more anxious to gain time for escape than to conclude a treaty, evacuated the rock during the night, and attempted to slip away unobserved in the darkness.But alexander being vigilant,detected this movement and a handpicked force of 700 men climbed up and pursued the retreating indians killing a number of them.Aornos ,the stronghold that had never been taken - added further to the reputation of 'Alexander the besieger'.Alexander erected altars to Athena,which have been excavated.
The command of aornos was given to sisocottus(sashigupta).
With the fall of aornos,alexander made quick raid north up the now wholly subdued valley and then retraced his steps this time towards hund -where Perdiccas and hephaestion awaited with a bridge to take the macedonians to the east of the indus.The surviving assaceni took refuge in abhisara country on the east bank.

Taxila -

At Hund Alexander was met by an embassy from Ambhi (Omphis), who had recently succeeded to the throne of Taxila, the great city three marches beyond the Indus. The lately deceased king had met the invader in the previous year at Nikaia and tendered the submission of his kingdom. This tender was now renewed on behalf of his son by the embassy, and tribute was given which alexander returned fivefold.This strategic generosity earned him the total loyalty of Ambhi,who was to provide liberal supplies to the macedonian army and a contingent of 5000 troops.

The ready submission of the rulers of Taxila is explained by the fact that they desired Alexander’s help against their enemies in the neighbouring states. Taxila was then at war both with the hill kingdom of Abhisara and with the more powerful state governed by the king whom the Greeks called Poros, which corresponded with the modern districts of Jihlam, Gujarat, and Shahpur.

Spring had now begun, and as the omens were favourable, the refreshed army began the passage of the river one morning at daybreak, and, with the help of the Taxilan king, safely effected entrance on the soil of India, which no European traveller or invader had ever before trodden.Meanwhile Abhisara sent an embassy pretending submission,although in reality he awaited a chance to join Puru.Alexander hoped that Poros would display complaisance equal to that of his ally. But a summons sent requiring him to do homage and pay tribute was met with the proud answer that he would indeed come to his frontier to meet the invader, but at the head of an army ready for battle.
Porus now awaited Alexander on the east bank of the hydaspes(Jhelum) river with his forces.Stage is set for the battle of Hydaspes.

Next: Battle of Hydaspes.

Last edited:
Sry about the lack of updates,Busy atm.Will resume tomorrow or day after.

There some massacre in Sakala(Sialkot) during a battle which turned the water of Chenab river red. Who was king who fought Alexander in Sakala.

Last edited:
There some massacre in Sakala(Sialkot) during a battle which turned the water of Chenab river. Who was king who fought Alexander in Sakala.

Sagala happened after hydaspes.Name is unknown.It was a siege not a battle.

Sagala happened after hydaspes.Name is unknown.It was a siege not a battle.

Some 5000 of them were killed in Sakala and their bodies thrown in Chenab river which turned its water red with blood.

These kings, wars and tactics force me to think. What should I be doing? If I am forced to fight for my honour right now, I will be cut to pieces even by these ancient warriors.

These kings, wars and tactics force me to think. What should I be doing? If I am forced to fight for my honour right now, I will be cut to pieces even by these ancient warriors.

Not if you are equipped with a FN MAG 58 you wouldn't.So try to find one in the gun market in Munger and get one for me too.

This piece is a gem @AUSTERLITZ sir.
If anything this shows that the people to the east (and to the immediate west) of river Indus have always been an unruly lot who never lacked the will or courage to vehemently oppose oppression and would never willingly cede their freedom to a foreign invader before putting up a fierce resistance;those ill-fated 7000 Indian mercs were a signing example of the courage and devotion of the people of this valley.My salute to them who tried to resist the ferocious Macedonians till their last drop of their blood despite of losing their commander,getting battered and exhausted by constant fighting.Moreover, even when overwhelmingly outnumbered and hopelessly outgunned and totally unprepared they chose to fight instead of taking the easier and ignominious way of pleading for their lives.This same thing was observed during the British rule,especially in the eastern India.

SORRY for this off topic post op,but I just couldn't resist showing my respect and gratitude to the fallen of our land.

PLEASE carry on this great analysis of historical conflicts from purely strategic and tactical pov.

Yes Pakistani ancestors are known for their bravery against all odds. We fight till last breath instead of making deals with our daughters like rajput hindus. I actually believe there was stalement instead of greek bs of treat me like king and how butcher of millions Alexander decided to show mercy. Indus valley people are very humble despite our great civilizations going back 5000 years.

What happened sir??I was eagerly waiting for the next part.

Hamstrung,net connection gone for more than 1 week.Stupid BSNL running me on a wild goose chase.Couldn't find out what the problem was and told me to format.Now formatting complete and still no net.Apparently they are going to send an 'expert' monday,lets see.Writing from cybercafe[obv can't do reports from here:(]

Yes Pakistani ancestors are known for their bravery against all odds. We fight till last breath instead of making deals with our daughters like rajput hindus. I actually believe there was stalement instead of greek bs of treat me like king and how butcher of millions Alexander decided to show mercy. Indus valley people are very humble despite our great civilizations going back 5000 years.

Don't ruin my thread.

Hamstrung,net connection gone for more than 1 week.Stupid BSNL running me on a wild goose chase.Couldn't find out what the problem was and told me to format.Now formatting complete and still no net.Apparently they are going to send an 'expert' monday,lets see.Writing from cybercafe[obv can't do reports from here:(]

Don't ruin my thread.

God damn it!!So BSNL status is FUBAR as usual.Man,if you don't mind,just **** the BSNL and get a local highspeed cable broad band.Their service and customer support is much much better.

I would have delivered you a befitting reply for your utter BS unless you were in red.So ADIOS.........mi amigo.

Back
Top Bottom