What's new

Bangladesh's Defence Budget 2014-2015

Bangladesh’s defence and security budget increased to $3.58 billion

The government’s budget for fiscal 2014-15, beginning July 1, has proposed increasing defence spending to Tk 16,462 crore ($2.12 billion) up from outgoing fiscal’s Tk 14,458 crore ($1.86 billion).

Presenting the annual budget finance minister AMA Muhith on Thursday sought approval of Parliament, proposing 6.6 per cent of the total budget outlay of Tk 2,50,506 crore for defence.

The budget for the outgoing fiscal which ends on June 30, the finance minister had sought 6.5 per cent of the total budget outlay of Tk 2,22491 crore for defence.

The revised budget for the outgoing fiscal allocated Tk 15,180 crore for defence, according to the budget documents presented in Parliament.

‘We are committed to build a strong and efficient defence force capable of meeting the challenges of the 21st century. We have already added modern war equipment to the armoury of our army, navy and air force and extended their training facilities,’ Muhith told Parliament in his budget speech.

He said that modernisation of the armed forces would continue.

‘I am delighted to inform this august House that for the first time we have added a home-made battle ship to our naval fleet. Our armed forces, apart from serving the country, are serving as members of the UN peace keeping force with distinction,’ said the finance minister.

The government had allocated Tk 12021 crore in the budget for 2012-13, said the budget document.

The budget excludes allocations made for Border Guard Bangladesh, Ansar/VDP, Fire Service & Civil Defence as they are under the Ministry of Home Affairs, which has been allocated another Tk. 11,357 crore ($1.46 billion). This means Bangladesh’s total defence and security budget is over $3.58 billion for fiscal 2014-15.

If i am not wrong this money is used for the upkeep and maintence of man, machine and camp. This figures does not represent our defence purchase, which goes through ministry of defence as well as the parliament first.

Army has the largest share for the obvious reason, it has way more equipment camps and personnel than other branches. Training soldiers, buying new combat rations, sending personnel overseas for training, upkeep of the thousands of utility vehicle, refurbishments of living quarters are few examples of the money being spent. When the army gets the money, it distributes it to the various units so that the unit can operate.

If i am not wrong this money is used for the upkeep and maintence of man, machine and camp. This figures does not represent our defence purchase, which goes through ministry of defence as well as the parliament first.

Army has the largest share for the obvious reason, it has way more equipment camps and personnel than other branches. Training soldiers, buying new combat rations, sending personnel overseas for training, upkeep of the thousands of utility vehicle, refurbishments of living quarters are few examples of the money being spent. When the army gets the money, it distributes it to the various units so that the unit can operate.
no it is included in it. this year will purchase will be made for army, that is why it got lion share compare to others.
beside i also posted the reserve which is around $356 million

no it is included in it. this year will purchase will be made for army, that is why it got lion share compare to others.
beside i also posted the reserve which is around $356 million

Hmm I am not so sure about that, usually our defence purchases are taken on loan or on credit. Plus if you include in inflation as well as the fact that our population is getting more educated therefore commands more salary, the budget is similar to the previous budgets.

Hmm I am not so sure about that, usually our defence purchases are taken on loan or on credit. Plus if you include in inflation as well as the fact that our population is getting more educated therefore commands more salary, the budget is similar to the previous budgets.
now both on loan and own money, do not forget that army also getting money from domestic development like road, highway development which is not included :-)

now both on loan and own money, do not forget that army also getting money from domestic development like road, highway development which is not included :-)

I understand where you are coming from, but even things like that plus UN peacekeeping and private ventures like Raddison Hotel, it is very hard for army to buy new equipment using its own money.

Lets look at the figures here, on average lets say the pay of a soldier is 15,000 taka/month. Now if wiki is correct we have 300,000 soldiers. that will cumulate to around US$700M for salary alone. Don't forget, electricity, food, clean water, uniforms that these soldiers are entitled to. Then there are upkeep of tanks, arty, APCs, don't forget we produce very little of spare parts for these vehicles to and need to ship them. Furthermore they may require different fuels, lubricants etc. Plus I still have not mentioned upgrading camps, cantonments, barracks, etc.

Therefore with logistics cost so high, I doubt that they can purchase the equipment using their own money

I understand where you are coming from, but even things like that plus UN peacekeeping and private ventures like Raddison Hotel, it is very hard for army to buy new equipment using its own money.

Lets look at the figures here, on average lets say the pay of a soldier is 15,000 taka/month. Now if wiki is correct we have 300,000 soldiers. that will cumulate to around US$700M for salary alone. Don't forget, electricity, food, clean water, uniforms that these soldiers are entitled to. Then there are upkeep of tanks, arty, APCs, don't forget we produce very little of spare parts for these vehicles to and need to ship them. Furthermore they may require different fuels, lubricants etc. Plus I still have not mentioned upgrading camps, cantonments, barracks, etc.

Therefore with logistics cost so high, I doubt that they can purchase the equipment using their own money
soldiers do not get 15,000 taka :fie: they get around 7,000-8,000 taka. even if we go by your 15,000 taka which results around $80 million (including other facilities) not $700 million, calculate again :P

soldiers do not get 15,000 taka :fie: they get around 7,000-8,000 taka. even if we by your 15,000 taka which results around $80 million not $700 million, calculate again :P

I was talking average bro, include in rank allowance, risk pay, combatant pay, years of service, vocation pay etc. from a private all the way to a four star general. Include them all and the average will be around 15000.

15000x12x300,000/77=US$701,298,701. If it was $80M the soldiers will be paid US$270 per year

I was talking average bro, include in rank allowance, risk pay, combatant pay, years of service, vocation pay etc. from a private all the way to a four star general. Include them all and the average will be around 15000.

15000x12x300,000/77=US$701,298,701. If it was $80M the soldiers will be paid US$270 per year
btw it is 77.65 :P

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom