What's new

Bangladeshis unhappy over support to Pakistan

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only way we will know whether majority Bangladeshis like india or pakistan is if we had a poll of every person (unlikely to happen), or just wait tel 2014 when india play against pakistan in Bangladesh, t20 world cup. My bet majority over 40 (declining generation) prob support india and those below 40 (this includes gen next) majority support pakistan.

Statistical surveys like this can help as well.

Publics of Asian Powers Hold Negative Views of One Another | Pew Global Attitudes Project

This one didn't have Bangladesh in it though.

Yea would have been nice to have such a survey. But from my own observations, in Dhaka this past decades, there has been a lot of negative feeling towards india from the young.

Possible. One keeps a company of like minded people from the same background, so anecdotes are not the best way to judge national mood.

I guess we Indians should listen to bangladeshis here. They do dislike India and everything Indian, at least a huge number of them. Whether they are more than 50 percent of population or not is not a big question.

Possible. One keeps a company of like minded people from the same background, so anecdotes are not the best way to judge national mood.

This would be true if it were from a small defined group with very similar backgrounds. The students I have spoken to (from NSU) come from varied backgrounds throughout the social strata.

Some of these students fathers or/and uncles where freedom fighters who still hold positive views towards india (most are now in their late sixties early seventies). Their children however hold diametrically opposite views, they really dislike india, which shocked me.

After enquiring more into why this was, it seems a number of factors: a) negative media reports b) proximity of india to Bangladesh and c) a general distrust of india / Indians combined with a notion that Indians “think too much of themselves”.

Why your so much interested bharti journalists try to spin a article where a writer wrote his personal opinion to representation of full public opinion of Bangladesh???

This is the dirty nature of the bhartis try to poke their dirty nose of every one's internal matter where they are not supposed to do that....

Some part from the article...

"I know many, even my friends, will protest and admonish me, saying we should look ahead and stop living in the past. They will also say, "Don't mix politics and sports." I don't think I am doing either, I am just talking about self-respect and dignity. It was humiliating to many who found the atmosphere as ludicrous to sit through and hear comments from Pakistanis who said, "We did not know Bangladeshis love us so much" or "It seems this stadium is actually in Pakistan!"

Now stop trolling around and interfering on the personal matter of Bangladesh...

:lol: you are really pissed aren't you? I'll post what ever I want. Just check the Indian media and your media. Check how many articles Indian media has about Bangis and how many Indian articles Bangi media has about India. And yeah, check all the silly @ss articles you posted in the past. You'll know who constantly whines about whom.

This would be true if it were from a small defined group with very similar backgrounds. The students I have spoken to (from NSU) come from varied backgrounds throughout the social strata.

Some of these students fathers or/and uncles where freedom fighters who still hold positive views towards india (most are now in their late sixties early seventies). Their children however hold diametrically opposite views, they really dislike india, which shocked me.

After enquiring more into why this was, it seems a number of factors: a) negative media reports b) proximity of india to Bangladesh and c) a general distrust of india / Indians combined with a notion that Indians “think too much of themselves”.

Well, a larger nation is never liked anywhere by its smaller neighbors. I hope we could do something to minimize this negativity.

Mostly I think much of it has little to do with our actions. What we can't control, we just have to accept.

:lol: you are really pissed aren't you? I'll post what ever I want. Just check the Indian media and your media. Check how many articles Indian media has about Bangis and how many Indian articles Bangi media has about India. And yeah, check all the silly @ss articles you posted in the past. You'll know who constantly whines about whom.

Frankly, any news at all about Bangladesh in any Indian media is a rarity.

I just following the BD media recently and most of the news about India is negative. India factor plays a important part in your politics . Most of all, the historical mistrust because we are majority Hindu. Indians on the other hand know nothing about BD. Our media does not cover anythign about BD. So they don't know anything about the developments in BD . People would still have the images of BD from 80's.

Sorry I should clarify one thing, though the students didn’t like inidia or Indians, that didn’t mean they liked Pakistan or Pakistanis. It’s just given the choice between the two nations only they just had less antagonism to Pakistan.

Well, a larger nation is never liked anywhere by its smaller neighbors. I hope we could do something to minimize this negativity.

Mostly I think much of it has little to do with our actions. What we can't control, we just have to accept.

Most of the negative opinion will be because BSF shooting the civilians (in their media parlance) but that is something we have to do to keep in check illegal migration that can seriously threaten the social fabric in WB and NE, if unchecked.

This for one thing is something we have to live with. And yeah we being 'infidels' doesnt help one bit either. :lol:

Most of the negative opinion will be because BSF shooting the civilians (in their media parlance) but that is something we have to do to keep in check illegal migration that can seriously threaten the social fabric in WB and NE, if unchecked.

This for one thing is something we have to live with. And yeah we being 'infidels' doesnt help one bit either. :lol:

Actually, many Bangladeshis hate India yet at the same time they have huge expectations from India.

Reconciling these two takes some mental gymnastics but that is how it works.

What I understand is that generally they feel that India didn't do enough for them and should have done much more.

Indians are amazed by the hostility from a country we sacrificed so much to create.

We both have failed to move with the times I guess.

Actually, many Bangladeshis hate India yet at the same time they have huge expectations from India.

Reconciling these two takes some mental gymnastics but that is how it works.

What I understand is that generally they feel that India didn't do enough for them and should have done much more.

Indians are amazed by the hostility from a country we sacrificed so much to create.

We both have failed to move with the times I guess.

India sacrificed what it did not for the love of Bangladeshis but for geo-strategic interests (dismember east Pakistan from the rest of the country), please even you should know that, anyway never the less thanks. That’s 40 years ago and a part of history, and we cannot be beholden to india forever, now our interests should be directed to building our nation.

We don’t have any expectations from india, we look to the US, Europe, middle east and China far more then india. We are building a export orientated economy, so India is not that big in the focus of things.

India sacrificed what it did not for the love of Bangladeshis but for geo-strategic interests (dismember east Pakistan from the rest of the country), please even you should know that, anyway never the less thanks. That’s 40 years ago and a part of history, and we cannot be beholden to india forever, now our interests should be directed to building our nation.

We don’t have any expectations from india, we look to the US, Europe, middle east and China far more then india. We are building a export orientated economy, so India is not that big in the focus of things.

Fair enough. You need to decide your priorities.

I have read about those "expectations" often enough. Will share at some point after digging.

Anyway, I would prefer a non hostile Bangladesh (in fact all neighbors). Good relations if possible are the best preference, if not possible, at least civilized neighborliness.

hmmm...china...the country that used veto against your existence...
anyways...we did not do it for geo-strategic interests...so many refugees crossing border and coming to India...even rock will cry...and Indira Gandhi knew that she would be fighting 2 front war...and even 3 front if china had entered the war...but she did it just because no one could look at condition of those refugees coming from east pakistan....and i am glad she did this...at least i do not care about what you or your countrymen think of it today...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom