What's new

Bangladeshi Food Mega Thread

Hilsa/Ilish Curry​

Traditional Bengali Hilsa fish curry

Hilsa fish curry is the national dish of Bangladesh

Hilsa (or ilish) curry is the national dish of Bangladesh, made from the Hilsa fish, and is one of the most popular traditional Bangladeshi dishes.

The Hilsa fish is marinated in turmeric and chili paste, before slowly frying on a low heat and serving with a mustard gravy and rice. The result is a combination of sweet and sour flavors with an incredible spicy kick.

Aside from being widely available, Hilsa curry is filling, flavoursome, easy to make and widely available due to the amount of Hilsa fish in the region, especially during rainy season. The sheer abundance of the Hilsa fish is why Hilsa Curry is the national dish of Bangladesh.

In Bangladesh it is common to eat every part of the Hilsa fish including the head and the eggs, nothing is wasted and each part even has its own unique delicacies. You can find fish egg dishes or fish head curries that are widely revered throughout the region.

Chingri (Prawn) Malai Curry​

Chingri malai curry

Chingri malai curry is a popular Bangladeshi dish

Chingri (Prawn) malai curry is the most famous Bangladesh curry dish based on coconut milk, and is revered throughout the region.

Chingri Malai curry is a delicious creamy, satisfying seafood curry that is prepared by cooking prawns or shrimp in a coconut milk sauce with aromatic spices and served with basmati rice. Coconut milk is a very common ingredient in Bangladeshi cuisine, and this Chingri Malai curry is a perfect example of that.

Bangladeshi cooking is famed for its use of seafood and fish in curries, so Chingri malai is definitely a dish to try if you’re ever in the region.

Dhokar Dalna​

Bangladeshi dhokar dalna lentil cakes

Dhokar dalna is a lentil cake side dish in a creamy tomato gravy

Dhokor Dalna is considered one of the famous signature dishes of Bangladeshi cuisine. The dish uses lentils or dal to make a fried cake, slightly simmered in a tomato-based gravy and seasoned with spices such as ginger, cumin and coriander.

The dish is then served with steamed rice or with a bread side such as paratha or chapati.

Dhokar dalna also sometimes utilises onion and garlic in the preparation, although the traditional method of making the dish excludes these ingredients. If included, however, they combine perfectly with the tomato gravy and spices to result in a super tasty vegetarian-friendly side dish.

Dhokar Dalna Recipe

Chachchari/Chorchori​

Bangladeshi chorchori charrd vegetables

Chorchori is a Bangladeshi dish of charred, spiced vegetables

Chorchori (or chocchori) is a very unique style of cooking spiced vegetables that is unique to Bengali cooking and a traditional Bangladeshi dish.

Chachchari is made by first creating a spice mix of ghee, ginger, mustard seeds, cumin seeds and fennel among others, before adding chopped vegetables such as potatoes, cauliflower and eggplant. Water is then added along with any further seasoning and the mix is left to simmer.

Once the liquid has mostly evaporated the vegetables start to char, as the signature taste begins to develop.

The charred bits are then stirred into a mustard gravy which is poured on to the vegetables and served.

Chachchari Recipe

Jhalmuri

Jhalmuri

Jhalmuri is a popular snack (street food origins) from Bangladesh prepared by simply tossing the selected ingredients together. A simple translation of the name reveals what it’s all about; jhal means spicy, and muri (mamri) stands for puffed rice, which is also the main ingredient of the dish.

The recipe here is only a mere guideline, while the important thing is to balance the textures and flavors correctly. Apart from puffed rice, other ingredients include roasted peanuts, tomatoes, potatoes, cucumbers, sliced onions, and various spices such as chaat masala and cumin powder.

Chotpoti

Chotpoti

This traditional Bengali dish consists of chickpeas and diced potatoes that are served in a tamarind-based sauce. Typical additions also include onions, boiled eggs, sliced green chili peppers, and fresh mint or cilantro, while the sauce is usually spiced with cumin and chili powder.

The whole dish is occasionally topped with cucumbers, boiled eggs, as well as crackers or crumbled puri (fuchka)—fried bread shells. Chotpoti is popular in Bangladesh and West Bengal, and it is typically associated with special occasions such as Eid, though it is also a favorite everyday snack and a common street food dish.

Beguni

Beguni

Beguni is a simple dish consists of deep-fried eggplant slices. The variations may include dipping the slices in batter or coating them with various combination of gram flour and spices. The batter is usually prepared with rice and gram flour, while the typical blend of spices includes turmeric, chili powder, and cumin.

Beguni is a Bengali dish, eaten both in Bangladesh and India. It is usually served with a yogurt-based sauce or chutney on the side, and it is usually enjoyed as a snack or street food. A similar dish is known as begun bhaji, but the slices are mostly vertical and are rarely dipped in batter.

Bhorta

Bhorta

Bhortas or bhartas are a group of dishes mainly associated with Bangladesh. The group encompasses various combinations of mashed herbs, vegetables, or fish whose base typically combines mustard oil, garlic, onions, and red chili peppers. The most common ingredients used in bhortas include eggplants, potatoes, prawns, ilish and other types of fresh and dry fish, as well as numerous other vegetables and herbs.

The ingredients can be steamed, grilled, or roasted before they are combined into a mash. Although they were invented among the Bengali Muslims, bhortas have become an indispensable part of national Bangladesh cuisine. They are served as a side dish or the main course, typically with rice on the side.

put that shit in the fridge and the next morning all the lard makes a fat layer on top
That's likely the 'dalda' or palm oil which solidifies below certain temperature. Most street food guys selling non-veg curries use that. They won't tell you, nor do most people care.

Except for sweets, bangali foods just not my thing
Turkish, pakistani, Mexican cuisine A- tier
Indians good too especially Thier biryani, other stuff s just decent

I don't like fish, I don't like rice, I don't like the haldi thing y'all do or some restaurants did,
I love your sweets though,
world class right alongside American desserts probably the best out here

Last edited:
It's one of those cuisines one must acquire a taste for and may not be appealing.

For example Karachi hosts a significant population of Bengali and Rohingyas who call the city home but a Karachiite would be hard pressed to name authentic Bengali cuisine serving restaurants.

Indians good too

Eww.

Don't tell me you've never tried some wazwan.. rista, ghoshtaba, yakhni, tabak maaz ... very Indian, very nice.

Only could make out Yakhni. Something which can be related to hospital food.

Except for sweets, bangali foods just not my thing
Turkish, pakistani, Mexican cuisine A- tier
Indians good too especially Thier biryani, others just decent

I don't like fish, I don't like rice, I don't like the haldi thing y'all do or some restaurants did,
I love your sweets though,
world class right alongside American desserts probably the best out here

It's one of those cuisines one must acquire a taste for and may not be appealing.

For example Karachi hosts a significant population of Bengali and Rohingyas who call the city home but a Karachiite would be hard pressed to name authentic Bengali cuisine serving restaurants.

Eww.

I can understand preferences - but there is a BIG difference between what pushcart vendors/ rickshawpullers eat vs. what decent upper middle class Bengali cuisine is.

There is a lot more to Bengali cuisine than Bhaat (Chawal)-Macchli.

If you have not have not had dawat cuisine in a decent upper middle class Bangladeshi household (which will not take a backseat to any upper middle class Pakistani household by any measure) then saying "Bangladeshi cuisine is not appealing" is rather premature and generic. But to each their own taste, mature or immature.

There are restaurants in Dhaka (private ones - by invitation only) which I personally had the pleasure of being invited to for a seven course fusion dinner. There were local items and French items (seafood included) catered by a traveling Swiss Chef living in Bangkok. He collaborated with a local chef. I figured dinner there was somewhere around Tk.20,000 ($200) a head for that meal at that time two years ago.

Yes I have very well-to-do friends.

And yes - this was in Dhaka (Gulshan, to be exact).

Look in my slogan below....

Last edited:
Love me a kosha mangsho or a kolkotta biriyani every now and then.. must be staple fare in BD too.

Had a Bengali guy cook me an allegedly Bengali style beef curry and keema in Goa too but it tasted just like regular UP muslim food, those notorious fattening and heart attack inducing kormas.. put that shit in the fridge and the next morning all the lard makes a fat layer on top.. which one must cut like a cake and throw the fugg away if you don't want those problems.

Seafood I mostly avoid, you hilsakhors' main thing.

You ate beef you RSS Shivsena heretic? Let them find out first.

Although I can read & understand written Bengali fairly well (Coz our scripts are same except র & I used to read Bengali literatures along with Assamese, Hindi & English back in school), I cannot speak or write it (I am from Assam, India)

I am interested in BD foods because it somewhat close to our food habits (except we use a lot of dishes with sour taste and some of our dishes are influenced by Tibeto-Burman and far east asian due to Tai/ Ahom migration).. I eat here from Bangladeshi restaurants from time to time (specially sweet water fish dishes) as it is the only closer to home food that is commercially available here.
I thought this will be a BD food thread, instead turning out to be a Bengali food thread. I wanted to see what unique food BD have which doesn't have any similarities with this side of border.
Anyways enjoying

I can understand preferences - but there is a BIG difference between what pushcart vendors/ rickshawpullers eat vs. what decent upper middle class Bengali cuisine is.

There is a lot more to Bengali cuisine than Bhaat (Chawal)-Macchli.

If you have not have not had dawat cuisine in a decent upper middle class Bangladeshi household (which will not take a backseat to any upper middle class Pakistani household by any measure) then saying "Bangladeshi cuisine is not appealing" is rather premature and generic. But to each their own taste, mature or immature.

There are restaurants in Dhaka (private ones - by invitation only) which I personally had the pleasure of being invited to for a seven course fusion dinner. There were local items and French items (seafood included) catered by a traveling Swiss Chef living in Bangkok. He collaborated with a local chef. I figured dinner there was somewhere around Tk.20,000 ($200) a head for that meal at that time two years ago.

Yes I have very well-to-do friends.

And yes - this was in Dhaka (Gulshan, to be exact).

Look in my slogan below....

Ask any foodie or people with an impulse to rate things, they would tell you that no one is paying for the taste in such high end restaurants, they are paying for access and privilege.

The Pakistani position on Bangladeshi cuisine is quite clear. It's not considered to our taste and maybe a little too exotic to our liking. I have not yet have a Pakistani suggest Bangladeshi cuisine.

As I cited example of Karachi, with millions of Bengalis and hundreds of thousands of Bangladeshis in that city, there's yet to be a famous Bangladeshi restaurant that have sprung up in Karachiites list of to do things.

I am more than certain it's tasty given thousands of years of continued refinement and development. But it's not appealing for the Pakistanis. More than willing to be educated by PDF Pakistanis of their experiences.

Ask any foodie or people with an impulse to rate things, they would tell you that no one is paying for the taste in such high end restaurants, they are paying for access and privilege.

The Pakistani position on Bangladeshi cuisine is quite clear. It's not considered to our taste and maybe a little too exotic to our liking. I have not yet have a Pakistani suggest Bangladeshi cuisine.

As I cited example of Karachi, with millions of Bengalis and hundreds of thousands of Bangladeshis in that city, there's yet to be a famous Bangladeshi restaurant that have sprung up in Karachiites list of to do things.

I am more than certain it's tasty given thousands of years of continued refinement and development. But it's not appealing for the Pakistanis. More than willing to be educated by PDF Pakistanis of their experiences.

Bangladeshis who live in Pakistan are 99% whom we'd call lower middle and even lower class in Bangladesh. Because of financial circumstances, their cuisine will be compromised in quality.

Their food and decent cuisine for educated people in Bangladesh is different.

Point well taken of the exoticism. Rather than speak for the entire of Pakistan - I'd say maybe speak only for you.

Half of Bangladeshi cuisine is almost identical to Pakistani cuisine.

So that is why I was questioning the exoticism and 'rating' part.

I mean food is food. Some will like it, some won't. Lumping all of Bangladeshi cuisine in a "rating" system is rather pointless....

Kachchi Biriyani.jpg

A Bangladeshi food thread, and not a single Kachchi Biriyani pic....Shame on us!

Beef-Tehari-Cookish-Creation.jpg

Beef Tehari (Pakistanis may know it as Beef Polau) - Cooked with Mustard oil.

View attachment 934820

A Bangladeshi food thread, and not a single Kachchi Biriyani pic....Shame on us!

View attachment 934821

Beef Tehari (Pakistanis may know it as Beef Polau) - Cooked with Mustard oil.

Shame indeed! I also forgot about Kala Bhuna from Chittagong and Burhani, a spiced yogurt drink which is a staple at weddings....

iu

iu

And the masala for it is now found from local commercial vendors - ditto for Burhani.

iu

c3voqcj0rzu.webp

Back
Top Bottom