What's new

Bangladesh keen to follow Sri Lankan economic role model

Lankan Ranger

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Bangladesh keen to follow Sri Lankan economic role model

Bangladesh is watching with interest and excitement the economic progress Sri Lanka is targeting to achieve, following the restoration of peace and stability. Bangladesh is eager to follow Sri Lankan economic policies to realize the same, Bangladesh Finance Minister Abdul Maal Amamuith said.

In an exclusive interview with the Mirror Business, Amamuith said Bangladesh economy is still trying to come to terms with the repercussions brought by the global economic turmoil that took place during 2008 / 09.

Need for modernization

“Our banking sector is weak and not up to the expected standard. The local banking sector has to be diversified and modernized as it is still governed by the policies and regulations introduced by imperialists. The real estate sector and the Dhaka Stock Exchange need a complete overhaul, if Bangladesh to achieve a rapid progress. I believe Sri Lanka could help us in this field as she has gone a long way in these fields since independence,” Amamuith pointed out.

The acute energy shortage is hampering the emergence of new markets and industries in Bangladesh and suggested that Sri Lankan investors have vast opportunities in Bangladesh in these sectors. Only the fabrics and garment sector have recorded a satisfactory progress in the last few years, recording 77% of export earnings.

In April, 2010, USA-based ratings agency Standard and Poor awarded Bangladesh a BB for a long term credit rating which is below Sri Lanka and India. Although two thirds of Bangladeshis are farmers, more than three quarter of Bangladesh’s earnings come from the garment industry which began attracting foreign investors.

He expressed hopes that President Mahinda Rajapaksa’s three-day state visit to Bangladesh last week will pave the way to create an added enthusiasm among investors in both countries.

“There has to be a constant dialogue between trade representatives and trade chambers of the two countries to sort out pros and cons of trade barriers and tariffs,” he stressed.

Growth obstacles

Obstacles to growth in Bangladesh include frequent natural disasters like cyclones and floods, inefficient state owned enterprises, mismanaged port facilities, a growth in the labour forces that has outpaced jobs and insufficient energy resources such as natural gas and power supplies.

“Sri Lanka could help to tackle the energy problems in Bangladesh, as she has almost achieved self-sufficiency in power. We can learn from Sri Lanka about the speedy implementation of successful economic reforms.”

“In the energy sector, natural gas acquires 70%, diesel (thermal) power 25% and hydro power 5% in Bangladesh. We have a shortage of about 1,000 megawatts in the power supply and Sri Lankan investors are welcomed to this sector. No considerable investment had been infused into the rural sector during the last 10 years ,” Amamuith emphasized.

Another pressing problem that hampers the progress in Bangladesh is corruption. Corruption is widespread in all sectors.

The dense population is another drawback. Bangladesh has five metropolitan areas that inhabit more than 700,000 people. There are nearly 13 million citizen in the Dhaka metropolis alone, and Chittagong, Khulna, Narayaganji and Rajshahi the population is over 1 million (in each metropolis). Finance Minister Amamuith predicted a 7% growth for 2011 and added that the main targets for the next few years would be to increase the power supply, added incentives to the agriculture sector and rural infrastructure.

B

I think Srilankan model is bit fragile. We should keep on doing what we are doing now. Srilanka is a very small country with very tiny population. What worked for them may not always work for us.

India and China both and I don't see anything wrong with it.

Please do not push these kinds of ideas any more. We will follow any other country's good examples, small or big, but not Indian model where a 100 farmers kill themselves out of desperation that they cannot repay their loans. Instead of trying to help-bully us, better use your trillion dollar funds to improve your living conditions. At least, build some toilets, for now.

Any way, this is not about india, it is about what BD can learn from SL, which was already developing fast when the big DADA imposed LTTE on it to derail that country from the path of development. India must be the crookest of all the countries and is also a loser.

Please do not push these kinds of ideas any more. We will follow any other country's good examples, small or big, but not Indian model where a 100 farmers kill themselves out of desperation that they cannot repay their loans. Instead of trying to help-bully us, better use your trillion dollar funds to improve your living conditions. At least, build some toilets, for now.

Any way, this is not about india, it is about what BD can learn from SL, which was already developing fast when the big DADA imposed LTTE on it to derail that country from the path of development. India must be the crookest of all the countries and is also a loser.

haha.. I can certainly see who the sore loser is. Your government is just puppet to GOI. And I can see the only place you can let your frustration out is in PDF. Anyways, I was talking about India and China sponsoring of projects in Srilanka not suggesting you to follow us. Read properly before you jump to write.

haha.. I can certainly see who the sore loser is. Your government is just puppet to GOI. And I can see the only place you can let your frustration out is in PDF. Anyways, I was talking about India and China sponsoring of projects in Srilanka not suggesting you to follow us. Read properly before you jump to write.

Honesty. How refreshing!

I thought Bangladesh & Sri Lanka were two different countries.

Bangladesh should do what suits it better.

Learn how to write a sentence. I read also the post to which you have answered. This is not what you are claiming now. Learn hiw to be a better writer.

Learn how to write a sentence. I read also the post to which you have answered. This is not what you are claiming now. Learn hiw to be a better writer.

Yes, please teach me English. I would be more than happy to learn from the Bangladeshi genius, Not!

Like the people of Bangladesh, Sri lankans know who their friends are. It is China. They also know who initiated LTTE and has ruined the prospect of being ahead of all the SA countries. A jealous India tried to impose its will on SL through LTTER.

And now, the same loser India is trying to force-feed assistance through the unwilling SL's throat. Leave them alone. Who needs Indian help? Your foreign policy is implemented by a group of novices. We will follow SL and Chinese model and not Indian one. Is it a problem for India?

Yes, please teach me English. I would be more than happy to learn from the Bangladeshi genius, Not!

The issue is not English. Issue is how do you express yourself. A sentence must carry only one meaning.

Same old deviation from the original topic :frown:

Back to the topic. The article was not much elaborate upon what we can actually learn from Srilanka.

I once heard that the Cambridge University handles a major portion of the local education, specially the English version ones, like that of Singapore. To what extent is it true???......... Is this similar to other countries where one can simply sit for GCE or GCSE exams or do they offer more services??? Would any Srilankan brother be kind enough to help me out over here?

Back
Top Bottom