What's new

Bangladesh:Gunfight at BDR headquarters

Bangladesh is a country where people like rebeller. I was surprised to see the people are clapping their hands and showing solidarity with some idiot BDR soldiers. What a shame to the nation and to our armed forces. Our bright top officers are wiped out and they even did not know how much damage they did to the nation. I am quite unhappy the way our govt or Hasina handled the whole situation. Before even the know the facts, she declared amnesty. All she want to do, is to run the country only by the women!!!! She sent her home minister Shahara yesterday, and I dont think she even know what she was doing. Today she she sent Motia her maderick, and the soldier did not even talk to her.
I want, those unruly soldiers need to be brought to their knees. Army needs to take over the barack and bring those to justice who were involved in the whole mess.. NO amnest or any crap like that...

I would not reply to your comment of calling BDR idiot. As it seems PM did take some prudent steps.

But I would say your view perfectly aligned with the wish Indians have and had.

I come from a family of army officers. Armed forces personnel are treated like **** in this country and they (army) still don't do anything about it. My father who retired as a Lt.Col and is a 68 year old heart patient, works in a Chemist shop because his pension is not enough to support him. Of course, me and my brothers also support him but what did he get from his sacrifices of 20 odd years?

The BDR revolt is unfortunate but I appreciate the message that the BDR personnel have tried to send out -- "Dont mess with the hand which holds the gun or the gun will turn against you".

Can i ask you what your source is?
About Gulzar Uddin Ahmed it is not confirmed yet. So far as i know he's still alive. And i know that for a fact because he is my uncle (my dad's younger brother). i find it offensive if anyone is labeled dead until its confirmed by authorities.

^His death will be a terrible loss.Not all officers were bad guys.He had an impressive record in the Rapid Action Battalion.

The current FBI Director is Robert Mueller. He has been a lawyer. The current CIA Chief is Leon Panetta, a former congressman and a head of a Public Policy Institute at the California University. He was formerly Chief of Staff of President Clinton.
DGFI is a military intelligence agency and frankly who cares.

Can i ask you what your source is?
About Gulzar Uddin Ahmed it is not confirmed yet. So far as i know he's still alive. And i know that for a fact because he is my uncle (my dad's younger brother). i find it offensive if anyone is labeled dead until its confirmed by authorities.

tan, could you please confirm Gulzar Uddin current status. He had done great job during his RAB days and a good officer. I happen to aware his cell phone communication with a media friend till Wed morning.

It is now confirmed that DG and his wife are both killed.This came out on an interview with a Lt.Colonel who was a hostage and survived miraculously despite being shot many times.He said the DG was killed in the Darbar hall.The interview was in ATN BANGLA.

Still 137 Army officers missing.

RAB arrests almost 60 mutineers,who were trying to flee.Currently they are taken to a temporary army camp on Abahani Ground.They are going to be tortured,I can say that.

About the role of our Prime Minister,I don't know how many will agree with me,but so far she did a very good job and worked with a cool head.Her speech was a good one,mixture of emotion and strong words.
What do you people say?

It is now confirmed that DG and his wife are both killed.This came out on an interview with a Lt.Colonel who was a hostage and survived miraculously despite being shot many times.He said the DG was killed in the Darbar hall.The interview was in ATN BANGLA.

Still 137 Army officers missing.

RAB arrests almost 60 mutineers,who were trying to flee.Currently they are taken to a temporary army camp on Abahani Ground.They are going to be tortured,I can say that.

Taking them to army camp is BAD move and directly contradict PM announcement of amnesty. They should have kept under police control until things clam down and more information is available.

This is not over yet and army taking custody of BDR men would worsen already tragic situation.

I think media should be more responsible releasing some of these pictures and details. Its not in our national interest to escalate emotion in army and elsewhere as information become available.

Actually this is something very difficult to understand for us, the undemocratic Pakistanis. We have been living under totalitarian rule for so long that we have actually accepted unjustice as a norm of life. On the other hand, Bangladeshis have always been pro-democracy and well aware of their rights. It is indeed an unjust practice that a few select officers feast on the hard work of a majority of Jawans. That inhumane 'Batman' culture found in our armed forces was from the Brits. It is very unfortunate that the Brits left but we are still embraced with their colonial practices.

Nonsense. When you're in the Army you seem to think it's a bed of Roses each day and night. Paramilitaries, whichever, they're supposed to be soldiers. Not complaining about having to pick fruit for their bosses.

BDR mutiny over as tanks roll in

After two days of high drama, the mutiny staged by a group of low-ranking personnel of Bangladesh Rifles (BDR) ended yesterday evening without any military confrontation even though the army was well prepared to launch a crackdown with tanks, armoured personnel carriers (APCs) and commandos.

As of last night, bodies of eight senior army officers of BDR including a brigadier general, one BDR Subeder and three civilians were recovered.

Bodies of all army officers were recovered from the sewage in the BDR Pilkhana headquarters. Most of the mutineers had fled the headquarters by the evening.

Till filing of this report, no one could trace the Director General of BDR Shakil Ahmed, his wife and around 50 or more officers who were taken hostage by the mutineers Wednesday morning.

Some army sources said the number of missing army officers could exceed 100. Other sources said the mutineers killed and dumped 30 to 40 army officers in a place inside Pilkhana and covered the place with bricks. They tossed the others into the sewage, they claimed. None of the information could be verified.

Meanwhile, through non-stop negotiations since Wednesday, spearheaded by Home Minister Sahara Khatun, the government rescued a total of 29 army officers--two colonels, five lieutenant colonels, 21 majors and one captain.

The traumatic ordeal of more than 100 family members of BDR officers and jawans also ended yesterday. They came out with tears in their eyes.

As mutineers surrendered their arms, police and the Armed Police Battalion took control of the BDR headquarters and its armoury in the evening. The army with around 20 tanks and APCs were positioned on Satmasjid Road near the Abahani ground.

Thousands of people waited with the army, Rapid Action Battalion (Rab) personnel and the police on adjacent streets to see the end of the mutiny.

As police took control of the area, Dhaka Metropolitan Police Commissioner Naim Ahmed entered the BDR headquarter compound around 7:00pm. The power connection to the BDR headquarters was snapped at that time.

"We have not launched any rescue operation yet,"
he told The Daily Star, adding, "We will be able to know after conducting a search. For now, we have taken charge of the Pilkhana headquarters and the armoury."

Sources said the fire department and Rab would launch the search and rescue operation in Pilkhana around midnight.

Earlier when the army was preparing for action, the government was rescuing hostage army officers and family members of officers and jawans.

As the mutineers continued firing bullets throughout Wednesday night and Thursday morning, despite the prime minister's announcement of their amnesty in exchange for surrender, the army began preparing for action.

Around 2:00pm, Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina in a speech addressed to the nation urged the mutineers to immediately surrender and return to their barracks so that she is not compelled to make a difficult decision in the interest of the nation.

Following her speech, around two dozen APCs and tanks from the Army's Ninth Division in Savar and the 46 Brigade in Dhaka Cantonment were deployed in Dhanmondi area in the evening. Prior to this, army personnel created a camp inside the Abahani ground and deployed forces around it. Army commandos were also there.

Thousands of curious people, sometimes cheerful, gathered in the area where the army was deployed.

Apparently more than a thousand army personnel were deployed there. However, the number could not be confirmed.

They did not need to launch the operation as the arrival of the tanks made the mutineers hoist a white flag on the main gate of BDR headquarters and flee through Azimpur and Hazaribagh gates of the compound.

While escaping Pilkhana through the Hazaribagh gate, 42 mutineers were arrested by Rab-10 in the afternoon.

Commanding Officer (CO) of Rab-10 SM Kamal Hossain told The Daily Star, "When they were escaping through the embankment wearing lungis [traditional skirts for men] and other casual wears, our team captured them. They are now under our custody."

Meanwhile, DMP Commissioner Naim Ahmed said the police found about 100 BDR mutineers inside Pilkhana and they were in custody of the police.

During the day, deep tension gripped the country as reports of rebellious behaviour of BDR jawans started pouring in from Dinajpur, Chapainawabganj, Naogaon, Rajshahi, Bogra, Lalmonirhat, Rangpur, Kushtia, Thakurgaon, Kanaighat of Sylhet, Khagrachhari, Bandarban, Jessore, Satkhira and other places.

In many places, BDR jawans left their stations while others fired shots in the air throughout the day. There were, however, no reports of casualties.

With innumerable rumours spreading through telephones, many were unsure of how the mutiny was going to end.

While the army was preparing for a crackdown on mutineers, the security level of the prime minister was increased.

The Daily Star - Details News

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The son-in-law of our Inspector General of Police was probably also killed.His daughter was married to him only 2 months ago.:tsk:

Director General of BDR and his wife are both Dead,according to TV media.

Nothing justifies mutiny, killings

No grievances can justify a mutiny and killings by a disciplined force anywhere in the world and those who murdered officers at the BDR headquarters should be tried under the laws of the country.

The general sentiment of the people and defence personnel yesterday turned strongly against the BDR mutineers as news and pictures of the brutal killings of army officers started to emerge in newspapers and television channels.

TV broadcasts on Wednesday and newspaper reports highlighted some mutineers justifying their act saying they have been financially deprived and ignored for a long time and that the army officers who command them were corrupt.

While such media coverage seemingly drew some public sympathies, all felt that none of these allegations could justify what the mutineers have done.

The bodies recovered from sewage system bore marks of utter brutality. The bodies were mutilated by gunshots and bayonet charges and ruthlessly dumped in the sewage system. Such atrocity surprised the people as they cannot comprehend how anyone can be so hateful over an issue like low pay or being deprived of the opportunity to go to UN peace missions.

"It's globally common ethics not to support any mutiny or terrorist acts," says a defence official asking not to be named. "If there are grievances, there are many other civilised ways to express that. If mutiny is justified, it would then simply welcome terrorism."

"While amnesty may be acceptable for the general mutineers considering that there could be more bloodshed otherwise, those who committed the murders should be tried under the laws of the land. They cannot be pardoned,
" adds another official.

Former adviser to the caretaker government and businessman Syed Manjur-e-Elahi said in no means the havoc they [mutineers] had created could be pardoned.

"They might have some demands and could go to the home ministry with those. But instead they killed so many people; killing cannot be justified by anything,"
he observed.

He added, "They could have laid their arms down for their demands. Instead they took up arms and killed their officers. It cannot be supported.

"And the panic that the people of the country, especially the residents of Dhanmondi, experienced cannot be forgiven,"
Syed Manjur said.

Terming the killings and brutality unacceptable, Col (retd) Zakir said there may a few bad people in an organisation, but it was not wise to pin the blame on the entire force.

"BDR is a very efficient force and the army officers played important contributions to its development. But the behaviour of the BDR personnel has crossed the atrocities of a war," said Zakir, also an executive member of Rawa Club.

Former adviser to the caretaker government Sultana Kamal told The Daily Star the ultimate loss of the mutiny was suffered by the country and the nation. "We've lost our officers, soldiers and people in the process."

She said it is a national crisis now. "One might have raised their demands there, but there should be a limit or a border in expressing grievances."

The rights activist urged everybody to be aware that such incidents could not occur again.

Speaking about the mutiny, Prof Imtiaj Ahmed of Dhaka University told The Daily Star there might be a hardcore group among the BDR personnel who shaped the mutiny in a brutal way. This group should be identified, he added.

"The way the killings took place surely indicates that there was a hardcore element, which wanted to give the mutiny a worse shape," he observed.

"The group, their relationship and linkage should be brought into light through proper and professional non-partisan investigations. The government should look into the fact seriously."

Former inspector general of police Nurul Huda said such mutiny in a disciplined organisation like BDR is not expected. "By no means such killings could be justified," he said.

"They have committed a big offence and for that they should be tried according to the rules and regulations. And it is up to the government."

The Daily Star - Details News
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Completely agree with them.
About the "Hardcore group",there may be possibility of foreign hand,as our ministers too did not blow this option.Investigation should be done thoroughly and bring those murderers to law.

About the role of our Prime Minister,I don't know how many will agree with me,but so far she did a very good job and worked with a cool head.Her speech was a good one,mixture of emotion and strong words.
What do you people say?

So far she has taken some prudent steps BUT if she can not control army action all will fail. There are long long way to go.....

There are two things she needs to do immediately:

Situation created for army and BDR face off, has to be defused ASAP.

Restore BDR in their right place.

I come from a family of army officers. Armed forces personnel are treated like **** in this country and they (army) still don't do anything about it. My father who retired as a Lt.Col and is a 68 year old heart patient, works in a Chemist shop because his pension is not enough to support him. Of course, me and my brothers also support him but what did he get from his sacrifices of 20 odd years?

The BDR revolt is unfortunate but I appreciate the message that the BDR personnel have tried to send out -- "Dont mess with the hand which holds the gun or the gun will turn against you".

Look man.. we are a third world country, and everybody is having problem financially in one way or other. BDR may be one of the well off forces as they get paid through illegal trade across the border. What they did is totally unacceptable and should be dealt with iron hand. Unless this will become a bad precedence and there will be no more chain command ever exist in BDR.
The screwed up Hasina made a big mess out of it and all the BDR across the country rebelled as well today. She should have contained the situation last night. She should have formed the high powered task force yesterday and given the responsibility to negotiate to some credible person that she did today. If she could do that yesterday, BDR might still exist and could not have been more revolt across the country. She also made the whole drama a circus as the media was broadcasting it live!!!!! what a shame... People were clapping their hand from the outside the barack and they even were right across the walls of that barack. She failed to quarantine the whole area and put enough psychological pressure on those rebeller. What she did today, should had been done yesterday. :hitwall:

Another ridiculous thing.. When they got in they only found 200 soldiers inside and everybody else fled???? what a failure!!! why army and other forces were not deployed so that nobody could get in or out???? I am still wondering!!!

Back
Top Bottom