What's new

Bangladesh Economic & Infrastructure Development - Updates & Discussions

Hypothetical:
say If I were to create a sweatshop in shonarland, paying workers £80.00 per month. and then I 'export' the product of that sweatshop, say £10 million (or any amount) worth per annum.

would that be classified as a bongle export? bear in mind that I would provide all the materials for that product. the only thing sonardesh is contributing is electric, [wo]manpower and rickshaws to the nearest port.

who is the net beneficiary UK or BD

Well it is why they are getting stuck in low income trap....there is little to no capital buffer being generated to invest into more profitable things (that need environment of much less govt control).

'Either you are with us, or against us.' International relationship and diplomacy do not happen based on such a primitive thinking.
Yes, you are the most knowledgeable champion of foreign diplomacy, and so it is you who is not thinking China does not play primitive foreign diplomacy when it is trying to wield power over the sovereign nations by using its dollar money.

Read the citation below to know how a $6 billion loan was used by China to buy the sovereignty of an SL port. and know why BD' deep seaport construction will not be given to China.
Sri Lanka Formally Hands Over Hambantota Port to Chinese Firms on 99-Year Lease

If you want to study a page of foreign diplomacy, Chinese style, I can send the full text. But, it seems you are not that fond of reading and learning. In the case of Rohingya, China is talking with its money and not with diplomatic niceties and here you are all praise for China. Neither your China nor you yourself have an iota of shame.

Chinese port in Arakan coast in myanmar is actually a very good thing for Bangladesh. This port will be very near to Chittagong port and under construction deep sea port in Cox's Bazar. A great deal of export-import will happen between short distance Bangladeshi port and Chinese port in Arakan then. Both China and Bangladesh then will be able to avoid the long distance Malacca strait to engage in mutual trade. China's increasing influence over myanmar is good for Bangladesh. I believe, if China build extensive road and railway network within myanmar connecting Southern China with Arakan and Bay of Bengal, then China will be able to successfully pressurize myanmar to connect Bangladesh by road with it's nearby road network in Arakan. So, indirectly China-Bangladesh direct connection will be established by both road and sea port through myanmar.
@Two

You are talking of ports as if they are point to point buses. BD and China doesnt have 600B of trade to have point to point ship port of calls. Even I am sceptical of Gwadar. The Chinese wouldnt want their port economies destroyed.

For South And SE Asia transhipment takes place through Colombo, Singapore and one port in Malaysia. Thats about it.

Indian and Israeli lobbies one of them.

Others include pakistani incompetence.
High labour
High taxes
High cost of social security
High energy costs again due to taxes

Pakistan not only produce more cotton but also all the threads and has ample cotton near by central asia can delivee huge cotton cheap but we have banned import from there..dont ask why
Who knows ...
Why have we stopped giving explorations license for oil and gas who knows۔۔۔

Well it is why they are getting stuck in low income trap....there is little to no capital buffer being generated to invest into more profitable things (that need environment of much less govt control).
I still need to know as to who the bigger beneficiary is, of India, UK and other owned sweatshops? why can the shonar PDFers not understand the difference between shonar owned vs. foreign owned exports?

Last edited by a moderator:
I still need to know as to who the bigger beneficiary is, of India, UK and other owned sweatshops? why can the shonar PDFers not understand the difference between shonar owned vs. foreign owned exports?

Well its complicated and everyone needs to start somewhere (before you can push to diversify and move up the value chain so you can host more of the profit margin yourself).

I mean even if you look at final apple phone (something lot more value added than RMG) and break apart the final price..... most of the price is not sourced to the OEMs in China etc....so you can imagine the case with RMG % wise.

But it does provide a better route of income (at minimal capital investment) than was previously available (growing rice etc) to BD....i.e first step (no matter how much any margin generation is outsourced/offshored given the initial capital injection process etc)....it provides both basic output and revenue.

The problem creeping into BD over time is one of dependency on it...becaues govt rather would have just one conduit of forex earning....rather than compete and hedge (and lessen grip on the process overall).

It is for example why their productivity per worker is just somewhat better than Chad, Mali and Afghanistan, and worse than Yemen:

https://www.ilo.org/ilostat/faces/o...afrWindowMode=0&_adf.ctrl-state=15760ehnpc_57

Well its complicated and everyone needs to start somewhere (before you can push to diversify and move up the value chain so you can host more of the profit margin yourself).

I mean even if you look at final apple phone (something lot more value added than RMG) and break apart the final price..... most of the price is not sourced to the OEMs in China etc....so you can imagine the case with RMG % wise.

But it does provide a better route of income (at minimal capital investment) than was previously available (growing rice etc) to BD....i.e first step (no matter how much any margin generation is outsourced/offshored given the initial capital injection process etc)....it provides both basic output and revenue.

The problem creeping into BD over time is one of dependency on it...becaues govt rather would have just one conduit of forex earning....rather than compete and hedge (and lessen grip on the process overall).

It is for example why their productivity per worker is just somewhat better than Chad, Mali and Afghanistan, and worse than Yemen:

https://www.ilo.org/ilostat/faces/oracle/webcenter/portalapp/pagehierarchy/Page3.jspx?MBI_ID=49&_afrLoop=455853564397354&_afrWindowMode=0&_afrWindowId=15760ehnpc_1#!@@?_afrWindowId=15760ehnpc_1&_afrLoop=455853564397354&MBI_ID=49&_afrWindowMode=0&_adf.ctrl-state=15760ehnpc_57
omg!
bd 2845-9105
ind 5254-17097
pak 3574-14694
teeny tiny UK 85467-80013
I thought PDF-shonars told us that they had surpassed Pakistan already and were on the verge of beating India.
just imagine if India and Pakistan were to become brotherly and started direct and legal trade instead of through smugglers and 3rd countries and eliminate their black economies, bongles would be nowhere to be seen (except in the sweatshop scene)

Last edited:
I thought PDF-shonars told us that they had surpassed Pakistan already and were on the verge of beating India.

The basic idea is very simple. Just keep laundering inflation as "growth" and use that to help sustain some loan buffet you feel you should commit your appetite to (to try keep up optically/emotionally with other more established patrons in restaurant somehow)....rather than do structured innovative and deep set reforms to improve your physique/metabolism.

Restaurant owner does his bit to keep himself protected (i.e puts a tab limit to how much you can run up and assigns your seating away from the good stuff)...but there is still plenty of room to inflict harm on oneself following stomach instead of brain (similar to the whole 3 million number dramabaaz - it all comes out of same space...the ego-body mismatch).

This will all have long term consequences.

just imagine if India and Pakistan were to become brotherly and started direct and legal trade instead of through smugglers and 3rd countries and eliminate their black economies, bongles would be nowhere to be seen

Yah, but there is much to be gained by such inherently for the two peoples without needing to factor in what happens to BD :P That is just side story....and who knows what that will be.

It is awful how much of trade between India and Pakistan gets routed through UAE etc..unneccesarily (it just puts more inflation pressure on consumers). But politics as always gets in the way of progress.

Hypothetical:
say If I were to create a sweatshop in shonarland, paying workers £80.00 per month. and then I 'export' the product of that sweatshop, say £10 million (or any amount) worth per annum.

would that be classified as a bongle export? bear in mind that I would provide all the materials for that product. the only thing sonardesh is contributing is electric, womanpower and rickshaws to the nearest port.

who is the net beneficiary UK or BD

what will the worker who is making £80.00 per month do if the sweatshop is not created ?
It is safe to say you would not be feeding their families

Okay...and?
I think he is crediting bd for the export of foreign owned products. despite claiming to be a pawnee, he hates Pakistan with all his heart and defends anything and anyone who is anti-Pakistan. what did you all do to the pawnee nation to merit such attention and venom? steal his squaw or what?

I think he is crediting bd for the export of foreign owned products. despite claiming to be a pawnee, he hates Pakistan with all his heart and defends anything and anyone who is anti-Pakistan. what did you all do to the pawnee nation to merit such attention and venom? steal his squaw or what?

there is nothing anti-Pakistan about this thread. bangladeshis work harder. they manage their country better. they have $32 billion in FOREX. nothing stops Pakistan from competing.

what is the deal with foreign owned products ? China exports everything from iPhones to PCs that are foreign owned.

Now pvt sector dominates power generation with 54.35pc contribution
BIPPA wants policy continuation to achieve 40,000MW power generation target by 2030

• UNB NEWS
  • PUBLISH DATE - DECEMBER 02, 2018, 08:24 AM
  • SADRUL HASAN - UNB STAFF WRITER
  • UPDATE DATE - DECEMBER 02, 2018, 08:49 AM
jI294qRvRbLdcYAzLVJ0uiTFADgY6EWXgwdA3YTA.jpeg

Dhaka, Dec 2 (UNB) – The private sector has started dominating the country’s power generation contributing 54.35 percent of the total electricity against 45.65 percent produced by state-owned power plants.

According to the latest statistics prepared by the Power Division, the country’s total power generation capacity reached 20,343 MW of which 11,057 MW came from private sector producers while 9,286 MW from public entities.

Captive power generation of about 3,000 MW are also included in the
private sector generation, while about 250 MW of renewable energy came from solar home systems included in the public sector generation.

Power Division officials said the private sector power generation witnessed a substantial growth due to a favourable investment policy offered by the government over the last one decade.

Private sector investors also appreciated the government’s supportive role in achieving this progress demanding the continuation of such state policy to promote private investment in power sector.

“Without a strong support from the state, it was not possible for the private sector producers to reach the milestone,” Imran Karim, vice president of Bangladesh Independent Power Producers Association (BIPPA), told UNB.

As per the latest Power System Master Plan 2016, he said, the government envisioned to take the power generation to 40,000 MW by 2030, which requires a huge investment.

“If the current policy of the government continues, the private sector will be able to play a very important role in attaining the target,” he added.

According to BIPPA, the private sector has invested about $12 billion over the last 10 years by setting up more than 50 power plants.

BIPPA leaders said they have now planned to invest $50 billion in the next 12 years to keep up the private sector’s participation in power sector development.

The private investors want to invest as independent power producers (IPPs) as well as private partners in the public-private partnership (PPP) initiative to set up at least 55 plants to generate some 12,000 MW of power or more.

The Power Division officials said that the government is now preparing a policy guideline to encourage more private sector investment in power transmission and distribution segments beside the current trend of investment in generation segment.

State Minister for Power and Energy Nasrul Hamid has recently urged the private investors to invest in the transmission and distribution segments as well.

BIPPA officials said if they are given the opportunity to invest in the generation sector to achieve the target of 40,000 MW by 2030, it will create 40,000 more direct jobs and another 300,000 indirect ones across the country.

They said more than 10,000 jobs have already been created by the private power generation plants in the last 10 years.

The Power Division statistics reveal that once the country’s installed power generation capacity was 4,942 MW, but now the average daily power generation is 11,000 MW.

The highest power generation was reported to be 11,623 MW on September 19 this year.

According to the Power Division officials, people’s access to electricity also increased to 92 percent with the rise in power production.

The number of electricity consumers increased to 3.12 crore in 2018 from 1.8 crore in 2009, they added.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom