What's new

Bangladesh Economic & Infrastructure Development - Updates & Discussions

Pakistan maybe getting GSP but it is useless until now as Pakistan haven't took any advantage of it.

Pakistan's defense and engineering is equal to Bangladesh's, can you explain how you came to that conclusion? Pakistan is currently manufacturing tanks, fighter jets, advanced weapons, assembling automobiles for multinational brands, manufactures world's best sports goods, world's best surgical goods, etc etc, so I don't understand how you came to that conclusion.

And no we don't want to be Bangladesh and worship bharat, Bangladesh can do it and enjoy the limited liberty that India has granted.

I don't want to go into useless/pointless dick measuring here and putting up pictures/evidence.

If you are truly interested in comparing engineering sector investments - then you need to actually know about it, please use Google.

Other than Pakistan's aerospace investments in Kamra, Submarine production at Karachi and one example of HIT (all governmental i.e. non-profit scenarios and a drain on the national exchequer), most Pakistani for-profit engineering investments and capabilities are basically at the same level as ours is.

Defense item production is not a focus in Bangladesh. If it was, you'd see plenty of defense products. But that is not a need for us. I sincerely hope Pakistan becomes more successful in exporting these 'advanced weapons' and establishing revenue-earning production lines. Otherwise a few samples won't feed anyone in Pakistan.

Industry exists to make a profit by export or stand in as import-substitution. If your govt. cannot ensure security for production and even consistency of power supply then how will industry stay in your country? Who are we to be blamed? Just between 2008 and 2013, Pakistan lost two-fifth's (40%) of its power looms (total of 200,000 looms) which moved to Bangladesh, leaving 200,000 families in your country without a job. This situation (lack of stability, power supply, terrorism, kidnappings etc.) is of your own making and your leaders need to correct this.

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/migration-of-textile-industry-to-bangladesh.237018/

There have been recent investments in Bangladesh automotive, consumer goods and appliance production sectors which is actually at more root level than it is in Pakistan, given our respective states of economical growth. Please look at all the threads in the Bangladeshi subsection, you will find some answers. And you are an intelligent person. Use your logic. If our per-capita-GDP is at almost the same level, why would this NOT be the case?

As for Sialkot - I know that those are all non-mechanized cottage industries (sweatshops) for sports goods and surgery items and 'world's best' might be stretching it. These clearly hand-made items (scalpels, knives, tweezers, scissors, special surgical SS tools) which vary widely in quality and there is no consistency in output and finishing, though *some* are quite good. These are all over eBay by the way. Chinese surgical implements are far higher in quality and above all consistent. And Chinese items are not even at the top level in this category.

Coordinated systematic mechanization investments were not made in this niche export sector AFAIK, otherwise things would have improved even more, and leave your exports with better margins. This is what my Pakistani friends lament about all the time.

Having said all this - neither Pakistan nor Bangladesh is Germany. Both our countries are at basic levels of infancy in industrial export output when it comes to other than apparel/shoes/FMCG/Food items and truth be told, not even anywhere near what Indian infra is capable of as far as heavy engineering industrial output- much less China. You have to acknowledge the truth for what it is. If you lie to yourself, you are only doing yourself a disservice. I have been to Pakistan AND Bangladesh almost every year in the past few years and I can make comparisons. I don't know how many Pakistanis can say the same thing....

A lot of Pakistani brothers have been fed misinformation due to the activity of trolls here. The solution is to do some of your own research.

Not too complicated. Compared with NK, Iran, Syria, Libya, Iraq... The Rohingya problem is simple.
So don't make it complicated. It is not at the global strategic level.

For BD it is not "simple".

China needs to understand this.

I am on tablet and so cannot link to IMF 2018 database but below are real figures from 2012-2017 for export growth:

2012 - 5.9%
2013 - 14.3%
2014 - 7.6%
2015 - 9.2%
2016 - 11.0%
2017 - 2.5%

Just went to check there....it's volume growth, not value growth (as I posted from WB data):

https://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/weo/2018/02/weodata/weorept.aspx?pr.x=70&pr.y=5&sy=2005&ey=2023&scsm=1&ssd=1&sort=country&ds=.&br=1&c=513,534&s=TX_RPCH&grp=0&a=#cs1

Whats even funnier is the GDDS manifesting in the fine print lol:

Bangladesh: Volume of exports of goods and services (Percent change)
Source: Central Bank
Latest actual data: 2017
Base year: Other :lol:
Methodology used to derive volumes: Other :lol:
Formula used to derive volumes: Not applicable :lol:

India: Volume of exports of goods and services (Percent change)
Source: Central Bank
Latest actual data: 2017/18
Base year: 2011/12
Methodology used to derive volumes: Deflation by survey-based price indexes
Formula used to derive volumes: Laspeyres-type

Now you tell me...is volume or value of exports more pertinent number?

Say if you sell double the quantity of something but earn the same as you did before...is it progress?

We know that in last 4 months export growth is up 20% from same period last year.

So is that volume or value growth? Since you have trouble discerning the difference :lol:

So apart from last fiscal, which was a blip, BD export growth seems to be around 10% a year.

Nope....around 6% in value (what matters) growth per annum. The "blip" was just halving of what already is slow incremental growth (given BD low base).

Pakistan's defense and engineering is equal to Bangladesh's, can you explain how you came to that conclusion?

Feelings.

Remember this is the same guy that has claimed automobile industry assembly chain is essentially the same level of inherent productivity/skill/value addition as stitching jeans and underwear.

Not too complicated. Compared with NK, Iran, Syria, Libya, Iraq... The Rohingya problem is simple.
So don't make it complicated. It is not at the global strategic level.

BD thinks its lot more important than it actually is....instead of actually making itself important.

This is the crux of the issue.

Hence a much smaller population country like MM can push them around with no effort....and it causes them to cry endlessly.

Just as you ppl posted your minimum wage is as high as Pakistan. Entire world is not Bangladeshi who don't know anythingand blindly believes it's govt.

It sure is enforced in Pakistan, you go to get some labor and he will tell you this is the "dehari" he will work for. As for companies, they are monitored by FBR. Minimum wages in Pakistan are for 8 hours but I've heard companies taking advantage of workers to full extent in Bangladesh, basically looting them and govt turns a blind eye. Not saying everything is strictly enforced in Pakistan but it is way way better enforced and managed than Bangladesh. And given the current situation of Pakistan where CJP, NAB, FBR, Courts all are strictly monitoring corruption and business situations, it sure is hard for companies to go against govt set standards.

laws being enforced in pakistan is a joke. look at the number of taxpayers in your country.
at least bangladesh is honest in saying they have minimal laws

at the end of the day bangladesh is exporting 2.5 times more than pakistan

I don't want to go into useless/pointless dick measuring here and putting up pictures/evidence.

If you are truly interested in comparing engineering sector investments - then you need to actually know about it, please use Google.

Other than Pakistan's aerospace investments in Kamra, Submarine production at Karachi and one example of HIT (all governmental i.e. non-profit scenarios and a drain on the national exchequer), most Pakistani for-profit engineering investments and capabilities are basically at the same level as ours is.

Defense item production is not a focus in Bangladesh. If it was, you'd see plenty of defense products. But that is not a need for us. I sincerely hope Pakistan becomes more successful in exporting these 'advanced weapons' and establishing revenue-earning production lines. Otherwise a few samples won't feed anyone in Pakistan.

Industry exists to make a profit by export or stand in as import-substitution. If your govt. cannot ensure security for production and even consistency of power supply then how will industry stay in your country? Who are we to be blamed? Just between 2008 and 2013, Pakistan lost two-fifth's (40%) of its power looms (total of 200,000 looms) which moved to Bangladesh, leaving 200,000 families in your country without a job. This situation (lack of stability, power supply, terrorism, kidnappings etc.) is of your own making and your leaders need to correct this.

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/migration-of-textile-industry-to-bangladesh.237018/

There have been recent investments in Bangladesh automotive, consumer goods and appliance production sectors which is actually at more root level than it is in Pakistan, given our respective states of economical growth. Please look at all the threads in the Bangladeshi subsection, you will find some answers. And you are an intelligent person. Use your logic. If our per-capita-GDP is at almost the same level, why would this NOT be the case?

As for Sialkot - I know that those are all non-mechanized cottage industries (sweatshops) for sports goods and surgery items and 'world's best' might be stretching it. These clearly hand-made items (scalpels, knives, tweezers, scissors, special surgical SS tools) which vary widely in quality and there is no consistency in output and finishing, though *some* are quite good. These are all over eBay by the way. Chinese surgical implements are far higher in quality and above all consistent. And Chinese items are not even at the top level in this category.

Coordinated systematic mechanization investments were not made in this niche export sector AFAIK, otherwise things would have improved even more, and leave your exports with better margins. This is what my Pakistani friends lament about all the time.

Having said all this - neither Pakistan nor Bangladesh is Germany. Both our countries are at basic levels of infancy in industrial export output when it comes to other than apparel/shoes/FMCG/Food items and truth be told, not even anywhere near what Indian infra is capable of as far as heavy engineering industrial output- much less China. You have to acknowledge the truth for what it is. If you lie to yourself, you are only doing yourself a disservice. I have been to Pakistan AND Bangladesh almost every year in the past few years and I can make comparisons. I don't know how many Pakistanis can say the same thing....

A lot of Pakistani brothers have been fed misinformation due to the activity of trolls here. The solution is to do some of your own research.

Forget about everything, just show me that your defense and heavy engineering industry is at equal level to Pakistan. Given that Pakistan is behind you (as per your claim) it shouldn't be too hard.

laws being enforced in pakistan is a joke. look at the number of taxpayers in your country.
at least bangladesh is honest in saying they have minimal laws

at the end of the day bangladesh is exporting 2.5 times more than pakistan

Laws revolving around companies are enforced else they will have to deal with FBR, NAB and even courts. And even if you goto find a labor on dehari they will tell you to pay 800 rupees to 1000.

Yes there are many laws that are not followed or enforced and people bribe themselves out.

Hahaha, is that what your bangladeshi or indian media told you? Pakistan exports are 25 billion whereas Bangladesh exports are 37 Billion. Is that 2.5? Or bangla education is producing stunt duffers?

@American Pakistani

Why so much butt-hurt at BD?

Abay kya bawla hua hai, ya sathya gaya hai?

From where did you came to that conclusion? I just love to see banglas being burning with anger and get butt hurt. Afterall they are made for this very purpose.

BD thinks its lot more important than it actually is....instead of actually making itself important.

This is the crux of the issue.

Hence a much smaller population country like MM can push them around with no effort....and it causes them to cry endlessly.
The strategic height of each country is different. China may pay more attention to the Middle East and North Korea.

Rohingya?

Let me tell you what the Chinese think of it: Where is it? What happened there? Why are we brought into this topic?

For BD it is not "simple".

China needs to understand this.
If Rohingya becomes an international issue. I believe that not only China can understand Bangladesh. The US,
Russia, Britain and France can also understand Bangladesh.

Let me tell you what the Chinese think of it: Where is it? What happened there? Why are we brought into this topic?

Basically you were supposed to pick Bangladesh over Burma....because Bangladeshi posters here were looking at China as some saviour miracle for them.

Instead you stuck with time tested friend (Burma)...and now you are bad people because of it.

Don't take it too seriously....this behaviour by BD people has long long history...they follow it with everyone that comes their way...so they can feel better about themselves.

@Chinese-Dragon and few others saw for themselves just how nasty and hypocritical BD govt and posters are.

Basically you were supposed to pick Bangladesh over Burma....because Bangladeshi posters here were looking at China as some saviour miracle for them.

Instead you stuck with time tested friend (Burma)...and now you are bad people because of it.

Don't take it too seriously....this behaviour by BD people has long long history...they follow it with everyone that comes their way...so they can feel better about themselves.

@Chinese-Dragon and few others saw for themselves just how nasty and hypocritical BD govt and posters are.
I did not participate in the discussion. Only. The Chinese really don't care about Rohingya.

I did not participate in the discussion. Only. The Chinese really don't care about Rohingya.

Yes its not your problem and concern to begin with....China govt followed the correct approach on it.

BD tries to make it everyone's concern...so posters here reflect that attitude. They can be ignored as required. Some of them even were loudly squealing that by this year (2018), US will have already backed them with military support to create an Arakan independent country......so as you can imagine the same posters are very frustrated none of that has happened or will happen....especially because they invested all those time and tears into that dream.

They simply overestimate their country (BD) role and ranking in world affairs.

and Rohingya is only a regional issue. Similar to Saudi Arabia and Yemen. Britain and Spain (Gibraltar)...
it should not be an obstacle to economic cooperation... although this "barrier" is somewhat baffling.

Yes its not your problem and concern to begin with....China govt followed the correct approach on it.

BD tries to make it everyone's concern...so posters here reflect that attitude. They can be ignored as required. Some of them even were loudly squealing that by this year (2018), US will have already backed them with military support to create an Arakan independent country......so as you can imagine the same posters are very frustrated none of that has happened or will happen....especially because they invested all those time and tears into that dream.

They simply overestimate their country (BD) role and ranking in world affairs.
The Rohingya problem is not complicated. it can be solved. even Iran's nuclear problem has been solved. even the Korean Peninsula ended state of war. so, Rohingya is not complicated...

Hahaha, is that what your bangladeshi or indian media told you? Pakistan exports are 25 billion whereas Bangladesh exports are 37 Billion. Is that 2.5? Or bangla education is producing stunt duffers?

pakistan textile exports are $13 billion. Bangladesh exports 2.5 times that.
your total exports are $25 billion

Hypothetical:
say If I were to create a sweatshop in shonarland, paying workers £80.00 per month. and then I 'export' the product of that sweatshop, say £10 million (or any amount) worth per annum.

would that be classified as a bongle export? bear in mind that I would provide all the materials for that product. the only thing sonardesh is contributing is electric, womanpower and rickshaws to the nearest port.

who is the net beneficiary UK or BD

Last edited:

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom