What's new

Bangladesh Economic & Infrastructure Development - Updates & Discussions

Completely agree with everything on the above ^^^

When my dad visited China in 2005 and 2006, her per capita income (both nominal and PPP) was similar to that of what Bangladesh is right now (around $2200 usd). But China had a 95% literacy rate, much better state schools, and had things like SMIC, Huawei, AVIC etc (IE, fully industrialized).

Couple that with possibly the most meritocratic and technocratic (Chinese politbureau are mostly composed of STEM grads, the people you want to be in charge of industrial policies), you're set up for sustained high rates of growth over the decades. It's slowing down now, but even 5-6% growth of an almost $16 dollar economy is no joke.

Bangladesh's "golden" period of growth was the 2010s. She achieved 7%+ growth rates only in 2016, 2017, 2017, and 2019. She did okay in 2020 during the pandemic. 2021 could've been far worse too. But she doesn't have the mechanism of a consistent 8%+ growth rate for decades like China did. Even if we did, as Bilal bhai once said, we don't deserve it, because we're not that civilized.

BTW I also think China has a very high probability of breaking the middle-income trap. Even the IMF project a per capita income of $17,000 by 2026, which puts them firmly into the higher income category. And that's based on 5% growth rates. They're likely to grow even faster. Especially when I'm there, working in their special economic zones haha (though for an Anglo American company)

The thing that propelled China upward is discipline, discipline and discipline. One more time - discipline. I've been to China and to Bangladesh and India. Those are stark reminders when I'm back home. India is better than Bangladesh in this regard, maybe because of marginally better educated middle and lower middle class.

If we can't educate our people, then in the short term some Military danda is inevitable. Case in point, Dhaka Mayor Atiqul Huq could not get industrialists to de-encroach on all the canals in Dhaka, so he enlisted help from the Army. A sad state of affairs and a narrative that spells out such poor state of our governance...same like BIWTA trying to re-claim all the river embankments from illegal encroachers, mostly govt. bigwigs and MP's. These are supposedly the highest civil servants and administrators in our governance structure. This is what happens when you elect uneducated people to run the country. Not talking about the Mannans and Nasrul Hamids in the cabinet, talking about uneducated people like Obaidul Quader et al.

We sorely lack discipline in the subcontinent, because of an uneducated electorate and an uneducated leadership based on thuggery and rule of gun as opposed to rule of law - especially in Bangladesh, But India is close on our heels now and will exceed us soon, with their uneducated PM and goons in their cabinet. Feudalism and Chori-Seenajory principle all around. Bangladesh is the worst.

High GDP and income level will not sustain Bangladesh, even if achieved (hope riding on the wings of a prayer). We need a skilled, law-abiding and educated populace.

Last edited:
why this? if people are paying with their own money?

It is a drain on the exchequer and foreign currency reserves, the numbers are huge. Close to $10 Billion yearly just for Medical tourism alone, not counting retail shopping etc. The medical services are availed from mostly in India.

Our govt. cannot let this go on indefinitely, it has been continuing for at least twenty years. We have to support our own businesses and raise our own medical standards and medical sector. It can be a money earner sector for us too someday, just like in Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore etc.

We spend almost $60 Billion supporting Indian economy annually - against $1 Billion or so of Bangladesh exports. Their govt. blocks our exports for trifling reasons. Sometimes they say we are exporting Chinese goods to India slapping "Made in Bangladesh" on it.

A friend who collects die cast cars sent me this

1634223090464.png

1634223099558.png

I thought it was probably packaged in BD, but then found this...

Apparently, a lot of Chinese model manufacturers are outsourcing to Bangladesh.

I've been told the quality is rather excellent, particularly for the price. Initially, they outsourced budget ranged products to Bangladesh and kept the really high end stuff (museum quality, very high-profit margins) in China. But they're going up in value. A lot of high end (not top end) die-cast models are made in BD now, selling for fairly high prices.

A friend who collects die cast cars sent me this

View attachment 784996

View attachment 784997

I thought it was probably packaged in BD, but then found this...

Apparently, a lot of Chinese model manufacturers are outsourcing to Bangladesh.

I've been told the quality is rather excellent, particularly for the price. Initially, they outsourced budget ranged products to Bangladesh and kept the really high end stuff (museum quality, very high-profit margins) in China. But they're going up in value. A lot of high end (not top end) die-cast models are made in BD now, selling for fairly high prices.

Yes - diecast toy factories are increasing in number, the amount of labor needed to finish these are high, just like in apparel. Mostly these factories are in Joydevpur and Bhaluka areas. Though some are in North Bangladesh like you highlighted.

Lot of steps. First, a metal called Zamac is used in a spin-casting machine to produce metal parts, painted using powder coat (or airbrush) and then plastic parts are put in and the whole top and bottom part are assembled, needs a lot of eye and hand coordination to watch for defects. As you can see, there is some pad printing involved as well. Very intricate work in all of them, especially the military stuff.

Some nice spotting of local Airline Traffic in Chittagong Int'l, with BAF Trainer activity thrown in. Tower folks need to polish their English.

looks like cox's bazar is getting some attention @Bilal9
বদলে যাচ্ছে কক্সবাজার? | Cox's Bazar is changing । Eagle Eyes

btw when is the deep sea port going to be functional ?

looks like cox's bazar is getting some attention @Bilal9
বদলে যাচ্ছে কক্সবাজার? | Cox's Bazar is changing । Eagle Eyes

btw when is the deep sea port going to be functional ?

Yes Bhai, lot's of things going on in and near CXB for sure. It is going to be a power generation hub and transportation hub in addition to being a tourist hub.

Deep sea port is planned to start operations sometime around 2024.

I hope they keep CXB clean and green through all this. Maybe too much of a hope, but an ardent one nonetheless...Love the place.

Since we are discussing the subject, Here is the render for the CXB Iconic Railway Terminal.

maxresdefault.jpg

I must give props to the designer, very pleasing in an aesthetic manner. But we all know you built these things once every 100 years. This is not far from the Airport Terminal, which is also being expanded.

Construction of the Railway terminal is 50% complete. The 120 KM rail line from CTG to CXB is also 50% done (1st phase with single dual-gauge track). Some footage here.

Auto Rice Mills are gaining in popularity in Bangladesh. Some are highly automated.

Well I hope Bangladeshi trains will appear somewhat clean from now on...

Bangladesh Railway 3015 class Hyundai Rotem MG diesel-electric locomotive pulling Mahanagar Provati train out of Dhaka Central Terminus. Slowly improving cleanliness and timing.

Interior of First class PT Inka made coaches (KishoreGanj express), the herky-jerky move is because of track maintenance issue.

Last edited:
TOWER ONE BY SANMAR
CDA Avenue, Chattogram
69835846_1778261372318564_1866686253919895552_n.jpg

Tower Two BY SANMAR near Gulshan-2, Dhaka
43460571_1493697240774980_427587483492941824_n.jpg

Last edited:
Sanmar 18 story residential Condominium project in Chittagong, "Ocho Hermanas" ("eight friends" in Spanish).

44974793_1508785305932840_8059216886371450880_n.jpg

44849605_1508785229266181_6181741197862633472_n.jpg

44857194_1508785255932845_4943779727342043136_n.jpg

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom