What's new

Bangladesh Economic & Infrastructure Development - Updates & Discussions

Future high rise & skyscraper projects in Dhaka - comprehensive and current as of 1Q2021. New ones have been floated since, not shown here.

Interesting video, triggered a lot of Indians I guess... BTW no comments please from Sanghis, this is not a discussion thread.
You and I both know its a dumb comparison lol. There are streets in Dhaka that look like the bottom, the person making the video just didn't go down them
Bangladesh is a very small and densely populated country, there's already more cars than our streets can handle..

So the government makes it near impossible to get cars now unless your super rich and can afford the mindless tariffs and expenses.

Auto-Mobile sales as a spectrum to guage prosperity is an inherently broken concept,.. since small countries will never fit the bill.

Adding that last bit because I know why people ask for ridiculous and far fetched numbers such as these.
Its not mindless, posters like Bilal think designing a city around cars is a good idea. I talked about this earlier. Most western cities are banning cars on the streets in their biggest cities. Cities should be for walking not driving. We should not copy the failed suburbanization experiment in the US which has failed epically. Instead cities should be designed around bicycles and ebikes.

You and I both know its a dumb comparison lol. There are streets in Dhaka that look like the bottom, the person making the video just didn't go down them

Its not mindless, posters like Bilal think designing a city around cars is a good idea. I talked about this earlier. Most western cities are banning cars on the streets in their biggest cities. Cities should be for walking not driving. We should not copy the failed suburbanization experiment in the US which has failed epically. Instead cities should be designed around bicycles and ebikes.

True cities should be designed for walking , but they also should be designed for buses and trains which gets harder.

Cars will always exist buddy , that’s why cities should be designed to adapt to everything as possible.

True cities should be designed for walking , but they also should be designed for buses and trains which gets harder.

Cars will always exist buddy , that’s why cities should be designed to adapt to everything as possible.

Not really look at cities that have no cars like Venice. There's no reason not to ban cars. Same with Paris the mayor is planning to eventually ban cars in the city center

Not really look at cities that have no cars like Venice. There's no reason not to ban cars. Same with Paris the mayor is planning to eventually ban cars in the city center

The thing is in Bangladesh where peoples egos are at 100000000 , they would want their own dam cars anywhere.

We need to fix Bangladeshis mindsets before we plan on changing any cities

The thing is in Bangladesh where peoples egos are at 100000000 , they would want their own dam cars anywhere.

We have already done that though. The streets in most Bangladeshi cities are so narrow they are built for walking. Compare street width in Dhaka to street width in Tokyo and its pretty similar. The vast majority of people don't own any cars so I don't get the comment about mindset. There are few parking spaces in most of Dhaka making people walk (which is a good thing of course).

Cars (in limited numbers) can exist side by side with public transport.

Problem is, we so far did zero with solving the latter problem.

Even India has far better public transport infra, far better in terms of investments and scope.

Cars (in limited numbers) can exist side by side with public transport.

Problem is, we so far did zero with solving the latter problem.

Even India has far better public transport infra, far better in terms of investments and scope.
There are barely any cars in Bangladesh what are you talking about and the public transport is being worked on there is a BRT being build and the metro line is in production. There was a plan for a light rail but that got cancelled in 2016.

Its not mindless, posters like Bilal think designing a city around cars is a good idea.

Please don't put words in my mouth or take my posts out of context. Don't think I gave you that permission.

If I have an opinion, I am free to express it here. And that is not what I said.

Cars or no cars

Dhaka is one of the least walkable cities on earth.

Footpaths are dysfunctional, other than some tiny corner of Bonani/Gulshan.

Neither is the public transport very good. And car ownership is prohibitively expensive. Which makes life incredibly difficult for those who don't own a car, or are comfortable using our disgusting excuse of public transport.

Hopefully, the MRT can partially alleviate that. I've heard it's only 10% more expensive than a BRTC bus ticket (per km). It is intended as a transport for the massess. Rich and poor. Though it'd be interesting to see how it works out xD Nuk Ocha "hi fi" manush sitting next to those who they regard as "kamla"

Are there any other public transportation projects in the work? How about the BRTC?

Please don't put words in my mouth or take my posts out of context. Don't think I gave you that permission.

If I have an opinion, I am free to express it here. And that is not what I said.
You were talking earlier about Purbachal not having front setbacks when very few cities have front setbacks and then got emotional when I said you were wrong and it doesn't matter. Manhattan doesn't have any front set backs. Does that make it bad?

Cars or no cars

Neither is the public transport very good. And car ownership is prohibitively expensive. Which makes life incredibly difficult for those who don't own a car, or are comfortable using our disgusting excuse of public transport.

Hopefully, the MRT can partially alleviate that. I've heard it's only 10% more expensive than a BRTC bus ticket (per km). It is intended as a transport for the massess. Rich and poor. Though it'd be interesting to see how it works out xD Nuk Ocha "hi fi" manush sitting next to those who they regard as "kamla"

Are there any other public transportation projects in the work? How about the BRTC?

There is BRT, besides MRT, which is the 'other' public transport mega-project. Of course only MRT-6 has been implemented, there are five or six more MRT lines planned. Then there is the plan to bring all the buses under one management, which has been repeatedly stalled by Bus owners' Mafia. There are three BRT lines planned and one is 30-40% done.

Not implemented yet are ring roads around Dhaka (with Bus services) and many, many waterways which are still being cleared (illegally occupied by business owners). These waterways will have water buses too - like Hatirjheel does now.

Here's a nice PPT from UN ESCAP:

iu

iu

199ce8dd1c03a9cc32198ffb3c0ba83c.jpg

Last edited:
Cars or no cars

I remember going to BD and since I grew up in America for most of my life , I was like WHY TF IS THERE NO DAM FOOTPATHS lmao ?

Like I am walking in the same area where CNGs , rickshaws and dam cows go in

Back
Top Bottom