What's new

Bangladesh Army

From the alzarrar tank that was wrecked a few years ago... it seems there’s add on armour that squares off the existing turret... durjoy turrets look more or less the same... (given its Chinese package)
Trying to make them into turretless tank killers will be cost prohibitive and there has been some British tank destroyers during Cold War with turretless design but those too are fashioned out

Al Zarrar uses a turret very similar to a welded turret in the Chinese Type 88C as seen below. ERA has NOT been fitted to this example below. However with ERA armor plates fitted, similarity to Al Zarrar turret is striking. Please see above for images of Al Zarrar with ERA plates. Can't tell if Al Zarrar also has the Chinese type turret bustle for turret protection and carrying supplies. Bustle is fitted however.
js040888c3m500.jpg

Type 88A and 88B have the cast turrets.
Type-80-Type-88-image-2.jpg

All Type 88s initially sported the 105mm rifled 'Type 83 cannon' copied from an Austrian example. Later - all Type 88's (including Type 88C like the Al Zarrar) were upgraded to the 125mm smoothbore and 730 HP engine. Some of these in PLA service also were fitted with a 1000 HP engine.

Myanmar has 230 of these Type 88's and the specs in PLA and Tatmadaw Service are as below:
Crew: 4
Weight: 39.5 tonne
Engine: 730hp 12150L-7BW diesel
Transmission: Mechanical, planetary
Track: Metallic, later variants have RMSh, with rubber-tyred road wheels
Suspension: Torsion bar
Radio: Receive/transmit, telephone
Dimension: Length: 10.65m; Height: 2.3m; Width: 3.3m
Cruising range: 430km , or 600km with external tanks
Speed: Max road 57km/h

Seems durjoy is just rebranded AJ

Durjoy = Al Zarrar = Type 88C turret + Type 59 Hull + 125mm smoothbore +730 HP diesel + new target finder/designator electronics

But like you said, Durjoy 59G production models may use a cast turret with ERA.

Al Zarrar uses a turret very similar to a welded turret in the Chinese Type 88C as seen below. ERA has NOT been fitted to this example below. However with ERA armor plates fitted, similarity to Al Zarrar turret is striking. Please see above for images of Al Zarrar with ERA plates. Can't tell if Al Zarrar also has the Chinese type turret bustle for turret protection and carrying supplies. Bustle is fitted however.
js040888c3m500.jpg

Type 88A and 88B have the cast turrets.
Type-80-Type-88-image-2.jpg

All Type 88s initially sported the 105mm rifled 'Type 83 cannon' copied from an Austrian example. Later - all Type 88's (including Type 88C like the Al Zarrar) were upgraded to the 125mm smoothbore and 730 HP engine. Some of these in PLA service also were fitted with a 1000 HP engine.

Myanmar has 230 of these Type 88's and the specs in PLA and Tatmadaw Service are as below:
Crew: 4
Weight: 39.5 tonne
Engine: 730hp 12150L-7BW diesel
Transmission: Mechanical, planetary
Track: Metallic, later variants have RMSh, with rubber-tyred road wheels
Suspension: Torsion bar
Radio: Receive/transmit, telephone
Dimension: Length: 10.65m; Height: 2.3m; Width: 3.3m
Cruising range: 430km , or 600km with external tanks
Speed: Max road 57km/h

Durjoy = Al Zarrar = Type 88C turret + Type 59 Hull + 125mm smoothbore +730 HP diesel + new target finder/designator electronics

But like you said, Durjoy 59G production models may use a cast turret with ERA.
Durjoy without ERA looks a lot like the type 88 cast turret

Durjoy without ERA looks a lot like the type 88 cast turret

You are correct it seems, more so when one realizes that the PLA were able to fit a 125mm smoothbore on this turret successfully in the later version Type 88's.

The older 105mm rifled gun barrel has two barrel sub-sections ahead of the fat smoke discharge suppressor fitting in the middle of the barrel. The 125mm smoothbore as seen below, has three sub-sections.
Type-88_char_Chine_001-506x340.jpg
Type-88_char_Chine_002.jpg
Type-88_char_Chine_005.jpg

@UKBengali @Bilal9 @Avicenna @bluesky @Michael Corleone @leonblack08
@Al-Ansar @The Ronin @BanglarBagh

Kindly remove the Star from the insignia of East Bengal Regment....it is sth that belongs to Pakistan....Don't misuse our Star....You can can change it with the Lily.
View attachment 616673
@Imran Khan

Kindly stop tagging me on a unnecessary post to get your attention.

I am sure people have better things to do than to cater to your attention seeking behavior.

Kindly stop tagging me on a unnecessary post to get your attention.

I am sure people have better things to do than to cater to your attention seeking behavior.
Don't get it personal its an open forum.

Kindly remove the Star from the insignia of East Bengal Regment....it is sth that belongs to Pakistan....Don't misuse our Star....You can can change it with the Lily.
View attachment 616673
@Imran Khan

I will pass on your request to the East Bengal Regiment senior management. :-)

I don't know if the star on top of the crest is a Pakistani thing or pre-dates Pakistan period, the EBR was formed prior to the creation of Pakistan I believe. One has to ask - who cares about the crest? I don't...

EBR did do their duty for saving Lahore in 1965 under the leadership of our former president Lt. Col. Zia-Ur-Rahman who was the EBR leader at that time. He received a Hilal-e-Jurat for this after the 1965 war.

https://web.archive.org/web/20140202231047/http://ncml.page.tl/Hilal_e_Jurat.htm

As did the rest of the EBR contingent, with 3 Sitara-e-Jurat and 8 Tamgha-e-Jurat awarded. The star may represent the Sitara-e-Jurat awards. I don't know.

https://www.thedailystar.net/op-ed/politics/indo-pak-war-1965-146932

At the end of the war, EBR had the honor of being awarded the highest number of gallantry awards among all the regiments of the Pakistan Army. 1 EBR were hailed as the saviors of Lahore. An Indian Army tank that the regiment destroyed in the war is displayed as a war trophy in Chittagong Cantonment, their HQ.

Last edited:

View attachment 616673
@Imran Khan

If it bothers you that much, ask your Govt. to file a formal complaint to our Govt. regarding the issue. I don't know how much help that will be though!
On another note, the star doesn't belong to only Pakistan per say.....

Make us remove it
I was giving just a suggestion, it the only insignia AFAIK has a star/crescent on it so that the remains of the half a decade ago conflict can be buried....And we can easily forget about it.

If it bothers you that much, ask your Govt. to file a formal complaint to our Govt. regarding the issue. I don't know how much help that will be though!
On another note, the star doesn't belong to only Pakistan per say.....
It was just a brotherly suggestion....Our Govt. didn't even give a speech when you hanged people whose only crime was the love and loyalty towards Pakistan....So it not gonna happen....And as the matter that worse star is it....This regiment was created by Govt/Army of Pakistan before 1971.

I will pass on your request to the East Bengal Regiment senior management. :-)

I don't know if the star on top of the crest is a Pakistani thing or pre-dates Pakistan period, the EBR was formed prior to the creation of Pakistan I believe. One has to ask - who cares about the crest? I don't...

EBR did do their duty for saving Lahore in 1965 under the leadership of our former president Lt. Col. Zia-Ur-Rahman who was the EBR leader at that time. He received a Hilal-e-Jurat for this after the 1965 war.

https://web.archive.org/web/20140202231047/http://ncml.page.tl/Hilal_e_Jurat.htm

As did the rest of the EBR contingent, with 3 Sitara-e-Jurat and 8 Tamgha-e-Jurat awarded. The star may represent the Sitara-e-Jurat awards. I don't know.

https://www.thedailystar.net/op-ed/politics/indo-pak-war-1965-146932

At the end of the war, EBR had the honor of being awarded the highest number of gallantry awards among all the regiments of the Pakistan Army. 1 EBR were hailed as the saviors of Lahore. An Indian Army tank that the regiment destroyed in the war is displayed as a war trophy in Chittagong Cantonment, their HQ.
Actually You are 100% true but now it is not 1965, it is 2020....And plz stop calling it Lahore if it is then they were defending their country....AFA i concerned kindly remove the Star on it....

Give it up buddy.

You seek attention like a teenage girl.
My only matter of concern was the star if you don't mind kindly change it with lily....why are you still using it like all other regiments of PA....?
It is your choice whether you put lily, Fish or Shark symbol over it....

1 EBR were hailed as the saviors of Lahore. An Indian Army tank that the regiment destroyed in the war is displayed as a war trophy in Chittagong Cantonment, their HQ.

Bangladesh now should immediately remove this destroyed tank from chittagong cantonment.... we are now strategic allies and keeping such things on display as a war trophy doesn't make Bangladesh look good....

My only matter of concern was the star if you don't mind kindly change it with lily....why are you still using it like all other regiments of PA....?
It is your choice whether you put lily, Fish or Shark symbol over it....

Hilsa symbol will be perfect...

Bangladesh now should immediately remove this destroyed tank from chittagong cantonment.... we are now strategic allies and keeping such things on display as a war trophy doesn't make Bangladesh look good....
I’ll give you Bangladeshi passport now.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom