What's new

BANGLADESH AIR FORCE'S F-7:POOR MAN'S F-16

Ok i agree the blue colour themes looks more cool then any other, also the jet seems a bit leaner then the F-7s we have(though it could be my imagination). However what BVR platform does it use? Also is 30km range enough for a BVR or does it even fall into that category. Pakistani F-7s has more range thanks to the grifo radars, but then again we never inducted it into the BVR category, 30 km is hardly the range for an effective BVR engagement.

Ok i agree the blue colour themes looks more cool then any other, also the jet seems a bit leaner then the F-7s we have(though it could be my imagination). However what BVR platform does it use? Also is 30km range enough for a BVR or does it even fall into that category. Pakistani F-7s has more range thanks to the grifo radars, but then again we never inducted it into the BVR category, 30 km is hardly the range for an effective BVR engagement.

Since the BVR capabilities of F-7BG are murky,lets just consider it as primary interceptor which may be good at dog fights.

I think both PG and BG have almost same capabilities.Correct me if I am wrong.

The F7 cannot counter the Mig 21 Bison which India Operates, The Bison is in a whole new league, with BVR and other enhancements Courtesy Israel and others.

Really? Bison is not in any different league. Its a 60s airframe with avionics upgrade. Very similar to Romanian Mig-21 "Lancer" upgrades. In terms of maneuverability, the F-7PG would run circles around the Bison. Avionics wise too, there is only so much you can put into the nose of the Fishbed. Even if you make the Mig-21 BVR capable, it would have a limited range owing to the small size of the nose cone mounted radar (Kopyo is no exception). Also currently, the BVR capability is limited to semi-active which has its drawbacks and can be countered by ECM and traditional countermeasures (expect performance to be around that of the AIM-7 sparrow).

Pakistani F-7PGs have Italian Fiar radars with very good range (out to 40nm) which can be used in BVR engagements. Currently we do not have a BVR capability integrated on it. However even if it is, the engagement envelope would be limited.

On the topic of BG vs PG, I think both are about the same. One thing to note is that the BG radar is even more limited in range than the Fiar-7 radar on the PAF PGs. So eventhough BVR AAMs would be integrated, some enhancements may need to be done to increase the range of the radar or use an active BVRAAM. I am sure BAF will do that in the near future.

Last edited:
It is a poor country and F7's are good choice for them.
not that poor.the money goes in some other places, not into procurement.Basically we don't have threats(okay border and maritime issues have sprung up with both India and Myanmar true).no we got democracy(read corruption) here and that's a bad thing for militaries.there's corruption in the armed forces too.

Bangladesh uses PL-9C for F-7BG as well.

PL-9C
Speed Mach 3+
Operational
range
22km (PL-9C, air to air), > 8km (surface to air)

Source:
PL-9C air-to-air missiles (10 live missiles and eight training missiles) along with 16 missile launchers for use on F-7BG aircraft; items: 18; transferred from China to Bangladesh in 2006
Air-to-Air Missiles >> Bangladesh as Importer

PL-9C can be considered as BVR,can't it??

Really? Bison is not in any different league. Its a 60s airframe with avionics upgrade. Very similar to Romanian Mig-21 "Lancer" upgrades. In terms of maneuverability, the F-7PG would run circles around the Bison. Avionics wise too, there is only so much you can put into the nose of the Fishbed. Even if you make the Mig-21 BVR capable, it would have a limited range owing to the small size of the nose cone mounted radar (Kopyo is no exception). Also currently, the BVR capability is limited to semi-active which has its drawbacks and can be countered by ECM and traditional countermeasures (expect performance to be around that of the AIM-7 sparrow).

Pakistani F-7PGs have Italian Fiar radars with very good range (out to 40nm) which can be used in BVR engagements. Currently we do not have a BVR capability integrated on it. However even if it is, the engagement envelope would be limited.

On the topic of BG vs PG, I think both are about the same. One thing to note is that the BG radar is even more limited in range than the Fiar-7 radar on the PAF PGs. So eventhough BVR AAMs would be integrated, some enhancements may need to be done to increase the range of the radar or use an active BVRAAM. I am sure BAF will do that in the near future.

well there is so much i can write about the Bison...but to you it would look as if i am making this up.
it seems that you know little about the bison...when you'l search you'l find that the bison is even more potent than the USAF f-16C/d!
read the analysis of the cope india which is by american USAF pilots and not indian.
and you have no idea of the israeli+indian+russian avionics and the israeli jammer! you'l find in that report that the us pilots couldn't kill the bisons because there RCS was almost 0!hard to believe isn't it!
you should study the report or watch the video on you-tube where the red flag outcome is explained by the USAF in detail before you post anything against the BISON.the Mig-21Bis is what you got confused with i guess.

well there is so much i can write about the Bison...but to you it would look as if i am making this up.
it seems that you know little about the bison...when you'l search you'l find that the bison is even more potent than the USAF f-16C/d!
read the analysis of the cope india which is by american USAF pilots and not indian.
and you have no idea of the israeli+indian+russian avionics and the israeli jammer! you'l find in that report that the us pilots couldn't kill the bisons because there RCS was almost 0!hard to believe isn't it!
you should study the report or watch the video on you-tube where the red flag outcome is explained by the USAF in detail before you post anything against the BISON.the Mig-21Bis is what you got confused with i guess.

lol jeez are you guys still banging on about cope India? Wasn't that a USAF exercise to gain more F-22's?:lol:

Frankly if the Bison was so good I am surprised they are trying to replace it :lol:

lol jeez are you guys still banging on about cope India? Wasn't that a USAF exercise to gain more F-22's?:lol:

Frankly if the Bison was so good I am surprised they are trying to replace it :lol:

BISON is a 4th generation upgrade...to last till 2015...that is 6 yrs from now...so replacemnt has to be planned.the same applies for arjun being not satisfactory as it is a very good tank for the next 4-5 years but a waste of money if we plan to induct an MBT for least 15-20 years...

Good question!

Indians claim Bison is the best MiG-21 development aircraft, why? Because they have only lost 3 aircraft since entering service! LOL!

They have made up a lie that Bison has beaten F-16C in ratio 4:1. Which is impossible in dogfight as the Bison has G limit of around +7G while the BG has around +8.5G and F-16C +9G. It is said to beat the F-15C and F-16C with superior results. This is the entire Indian claim, US has said nothing about this.

I have given with reason why Bison is inferior to F-7BG and PG in page 4.

Just like HF-24 Marut and HAL Tejas LCA the Bison is another in the long line of flops.

Last edited:

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom