What's new

Bangladesh Air Force to purchase Mi-28NE Havoc attack helicopter from Russia

Why would Bangladesh do this?

And now?

To put it briefly, Bangladesh now finds itself in a bipolar world in terms of geopolitics. Given the current situation in Asia, it appears to me Bangladesh can no longer afford to play the balancing act between the western bloc (including India) and China. The US and China is forcing Bangladesh to pick a team. Hence we saw China explicitly warning Bangladesh to not join Quad and subsequently US tightening the screws through sanctions on RAB and former Army chief.

I don't think Bangladesh has a choice on the timing.

As for why they are choosing Russo-China bloc over the Western bloc, our export destinations are in the West, US is leveraging that. But China has been a bigger development partner for BD. So China has the financial muscle to back its manipulation just as equally as US, especially in it's neighborhood.

The other reason I can think of is, Bangladesh probably factored in USs departure from Afghanistan. US will leave when their self interest is fulfilled. But we will always be in China's neighborhood. We can't change that.

In any case, these are just my opinion.

As for why they are choosing Russo-China bloc over the Western bloc, our export destinations are in the West, US is leveraging that. But China has been a bigger development partner for BD. So China has the financial muscle to back its manipulation just as equally as US, especially in it's neighborhood.

This is not correct if you take Japan as part of the Western block.

Even now the Japanese provide just as much development assistance as the Chinese but at much reduced interest rates.

I doubt that BD would jump in with the Russian-Chinese block and so if BD must choose, then the West is the only option now. However I think that BD will stay neutral by keeping its head down as much as possible for the next 15-20 years.

Why would Bangladesh do this?

And now?
People should not think BAF has SUDDENLY decided to purchase the Russian helis. Negotiations must have been going on for many months.

I do not believe this small purchase from Russia would make the USA upset and change its attitude. Sanction itself has been imposed after long deliberations during and after the Trump administration.
This is the Mi-26 not the Mi-28
Sorry for the mistake. Below are the specifications for Mi-28N helicopters.
Specifications (Mi-28N)[edit]
Mi-28-Havoc-schema.png
Data from RIA Novosti,[63] Russian Helicopters, JSC,[64] Jane's All The World's Aircraft 2000–2001[65]

General characteristics
  • Crew: 2 (1 pilot, 1 WSO)
  • Length: 17.01 m (55 ft 10 in) excluding rotors
  • Wingspan: 4.88 m (16 ft 0 in) stub wings
  • Height: 3.82 m (12 ft 6 in) to top of rotor head
  • Empty weight: 8,590 kg (18,938 lb) equipped
  • Gross weight: 10,700 kg (23,589 lb)
  • Max takeoff weight: 11,500 kg (25,353 lb)
  • Fuel capacity: 1,337 kg (2,948 lb) / 1,720 l (450 US gal; 380 imp gal) internal fuel + up to 445 kg (981 lb) / 571 l (151 US gal; 126 imp gal) in 4x drop tanks
  • Powerplant: 2 × Klimov TV3-117 turboshaft engines, 1,636 kW (2,194 hp) each
  • Main rotor diameter: 17.2 m (56 ft 5 in)
  • Main rotor area: 232.35 m2 (2,501.0 sq ft)
Performance
  • Maximum speed: 320 km/h (200 mph, 170 kn)
  • Cruise speed: 270 km/h (170 mph, 150 kn) max
  • Range: 435 km (270 mi, 235 nmi) with 5% reserve
  • Combat range: 200 km (120 mi, 110 nmi) 10-minute loiter with 5% reserve
  • Ferry range: 1,100 km (680 mi, 590 nmi) 4x drop tanks with 5% reserve
  • Endurance: 2 hours
  • Service ceiling: 5,700 m (18,700 ft)
  • Hover ceiling OGE: 3,600 m (11,811 ft)
  • g limits: +3 -0.5
  • Rate of climb: 13.6 m/s (2,680 ft/min) max at sea level
  • Disk loading: 49.5 kg/m2 (10.1 lb/sq ft) max
  • Power/mass: 0.31 kW/kg (0.19 hp/lb)
Armament
  • Guns: 1× chin-mounted 30 mm Shipunov 2A42 cannon with 250 rounds (±110° horizontal fire)
  • Hardpoints: Two pylons under each stub wing to mount bombs, rockets, missiles, and gun pods. Main armament configurations include:

This is not correct if you take Japan as part of the Western block.

Even now the Japanese provide just as much development assistance as the Chinese but at much reduced interest rates.

I doubt that BD would jump in with the Russian-Chinese block and so if BD must choose, then the West is the only option now. However I think that BD will stay neutral by keeping its head down as much as possible for the next 15-20 years.

Agreed to some extent. It will be increasingly difficult for BD to not choose a camp. I doubt we will have the luxury of 15-20 years.

Agreed to some extent. It will be increasingly difficult for BD to not choose a camp. I doubt we will have the luxury of 15-20 years.
Bangladesh must choose Chinese block as , if you have USA ( read West) as ally , you don't need any other enemies to be destroyed! Pakistan is the perfect example during cold war!

Last edited:
How come Bangladesh did not consider the Turkish-Italian T-129 ATAK instead? The Philippines Air Force is already inducting them since this month as they got immediate clearance and Turkey has already increased production. You could have bought more helicopters with the same price.

The PhAF got them for around 270 million for 6 helicopters including the cost of setting up, spares, and training. plus it could have kept you neutral between the usual East vs West geopolitical camps.

How come Bangladesh did not consider the Turkish-Italian T-129 ATAK instead? The Philippines Air Force is already inducting them since this month as they got immediate clearance and Turkey has already increased production. You could have bought more helicopters with the same price.

The PhAF got them for around 270 million for 6 helicopters including the cost of setting up, spares, and training. plus it could have kept you neutral between the usual East vs West geopolitical camps.

A few reasons.

1) Familiarity with Russian helicopters

2) Cost

3) Potential issues with engine sourcing from the US

4) Mi-28 is a great machine on its own merits.

and finally

5) Timing. Earlier delivery.

I was initially disappointed with no Apaches.

But the more I think about it, it makes sense for Mi-28 to be bought.

Also, I think this is an initial buy for an eventual total of 16 for BAF.

Not to mention additional examples for the BA.

A good purchase IMO.

A few reasons.

1) Familiarity with Russian helicopters

2) Cost

3) Potential issues with engine sourcing from the US

4) Mi-28 is a great machine on its own merits.

and finally

5) Timing. Earlier delivery.

I was initially disappointed with no Apaches.

But the more I think about it, it makes sense for Mi-28 to be bought.

Also, I think this is an initial buy for an eventual total of 16 for BAF.

Not to mention additional examples for the BA.

A good purchase IMO.

Interesting perspective.

Here is a theory though:

BAF currently operates the Mi-17 transport helicopter with armaments attached. That helicopter is completely different from Mi-28NE or even the older Mi-35 Hind. By that logic, your Air Force also operates the AW-139 tactical helicopter which is essentially the same company Leonardo that designed the A/T-129 (T being the custom Turkish version).

Mi-28 is a heavy gunship and will incur a higher operating cost per hour compared to the T-129 which is a lighter and more agile option. While initial costs will be high, but operationally Western helicopters are cheaper to operate and have a better operational readiness.

What do you think?

Interesting perspective.

Here is a theory though:

BAF currently operates the Mi-17 transport helicopter with armaments attached. That helicopter is completely different from Mi-28NE or even the older Mi-35 Hind. By that logic, your Air Force also operates the AW-139 tactical helicopter which is essentially the same company Leonardo that designed the A/T-129 (T being the custom Turkish version).

Mi-28 is a heavy gunship and will incur a higher operating cost per hour compared to the T-129 which is a lighter and more agile option. While initial costs will be high, but operationally Western helicopters are cheaper to operate and have a better operational readiness.

What do you think?

Yes all good points.

But every choice has its pros and cons.

I guess this is the direction BAF went.

The engine of T-129K is american which you forget. That is simply the most important reason. Look at PA and see what happened. Turkish indigenous engine are still many years away from putting into operation.

Philippine AF is friendly with US and they got the export order from US.

Interesting perspective.

Here is a theory though:

What do you think?
Heavy gunships are ideal for BD as our terrain is mostly untankable and road network is extremely poor meaning very slow reinforcements.
Mi-28's can come to the rescue of our infantry and dismantle enemy armor and mechanised columns with ease.

Back
Top Bottom