What's new

Bangladesh – a tale of two women

CaPtAiN_pLaNeT

Reaction score
Bangladesh – a tale of two women

http://gulfnews.com/opinions/columnists/bangladesh-a-tale-of-two-women-1.1122362

While political parties may be on opposite sides of the spectrum, ultimately the will of the industrious people will move their country forward towards a singular goal of success

By Tariq A. Al Maeena | Special to Gulf News
Published: 00:00 December 23, 2012
Gulf News

Image Credit: ©Gulf New

2952368429.jpg

It would be difficult for an outsider today to imagine that underneath the surface, Bangladesh is dynamic and on the move forward. All that most of us are exposed to in the global press is the widespread poverty or calamities and disasters that rain on this country annually leaving many dead or missing.

To top it, there is the diversity in Bangladesh politics, the occasional strikes, and some issues that carry deep emotional scars from 41 years ago during the time of liberation. However, in as much Bangladesh exists as a functioning democracy, that is to be expected.

On the political arena, it would seem that the strong willed personality of the two key female figures in Bangladesh politics is etched in unyielding granite. Both are at odds with each other on just about every issue. As the country moves towards elections towards the end of next year, both these women are hedging for an advantage and verbal sparring is on the rise.

Leader of the opposition party, the BNP, and a former prime minister herself, Khaleda Zia is unquestionably the champion for those who resist the charms of the Awami League headed by Shaikha Hasina. Last week, in a direct verbal onslaught against the ruling party, Khaleda implored the freedom fighters of the country to ‘stage another fight to consolidate democracy and save it from fascist, repressive and corrupt governance.’

Article continues below

She was making these charges during a function honouring the freedom fighters by her party. She continued, “We have started our struggle against this repressive, killer, corrupt government regime. Come and stage another struggle to save the country. The fruits of spirit of independence will be achieved when the country will be freed from this subservient government.”

Alleging that the country was being treated as personal property in a direct and veiled attack on Shaikha Hasina, daughter of Shaikh Mujibur Rahman, father of the nation, Khaleda charged that, “The country is not anyone’s paternal property; it won’t be allowed. It is time for the freedom fighters to wake up and stand against this government. The new generation will join you because they want development of the country; progress for the country.”

Khaleda hammered that “the government is not taking care of these problems of the people as they are engrossed in taking commission from different projects. The government itself and its relatives, ministers and MPs are thieves. All around the government are thieves.”

Shaikha Hasina, the current PM enjoys wide support among the growing youth of the country. The prime minister cautioned the military, her administration and the public against the covert activities of anti-liberation forces who seem to be delaying the progress of the nation with their subversive activities. She countered that caution should be exercised by her constituents against those seeking to promote their hidden agenda, and asked them to work ‘towards securing democracy, development, national independence and sovereignty.’

Referring to the rejection by the opposition to try those suspected of being collaborators during the nine-month siege against the people of Bangladesh just prior to its liberation, she said, “The anti-liberation forces are trying hard to raise their heads again; they are hatching conspiracies to foil the trial of the identified war criminals. They are on a destructive path discarding the democratic principles. Their conspiracies will continue. I urge the patriotic armed forces, civil administration and the people of the country to remain alert.” Shaikha Hasina made no bones of the fact that her government was successful on many fronts. She maintained that the present government has placed much emphasis on a strong and professional armed force that has been the generous recipient of an incremental budget increase for the last four years. Apart from strengthening the armed forces, Shaikha Hasina noted the developments with new medical facilities and upgraded educational institutions among other added benefits for armed forces members and their families.

There are challenges that face Bangladesh such as food, energy, international affairs and the environment which are generic for the 21st century, she said. “If any of these securities becomes vulnerable, national security will be endangered.” She expressed strong confidence in the people of Bangladesh to turn their country into a middle-income country by 2021.

It may appear that with this diversity in political vision and with parties often at odds with each other, driven undoubtedly by the personalities of their two female leaders, that such a vision may not be attainable.

But if one does indeed have any doubts, then a visit to the country will dispel all such uncertainties. The country is only 41 years old; it did suffer a traumatic birth. But the majority if its people are young and growing, and while that may be true of many other countries, one thing becomes apparent very quickly and that is that the people are not idle. They are hard working and productive and given that commitment, the country of Bangladesh will indeed be on the road to success.

While political parties or strong-willed women may be on opposite sides of the spectrum, it is the will of the industrious people of Bangladesh that will move their country forward towards a singular goal of success. In that endeavour, we wish them well.

Tariq A. Al Maeena is a Saudi socio-political commentator. He lives in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.

@ It is immaterial whether these two women are leading the opposite group or not. The main problem of Bnagladesh is that we are completely divided in two groups one is pro-India and anti-India. Majority of Bengali muslims of Bengal hate India on the other hand majority of Hindus like the Indian influence where some leftist and small portion of Bengali muslims also support AL. So long India interfere in our internal politics this would for eternal period.

@ It has been proved many a times if free and fair election is held in Bangladesh that was the end of Awami Leaque regime. This reality AL and Sk Hasina knows very well that is why they have abolished the Care Taker system from the constitution.

@ It is immaterial whether these two women are leading the opposite group or not. The main problem of Bnagladesh is that we are completely divided in two groups one is pro-India and anti-India. Majority of Bengali muslims of Bengal hate India on the other hand majority of Hindus like the Indian influence where some leftist and small portion of Bengali muslims also support AL. So long India interfere in our internal politics this would for eternal period.

@ It has been proved many a times if free and fair election is held in Bangladesh that was the end of Awami Leaque regime. This reality AL and Sk Hasina knows very well that is why they have abolished the Care Taker system from the constitution.

How many Hindus do you have in your country ? I think its a very small number.

So unless there is a sizable muslim group who are pro-India, there can be no pro-India group at all.

Not all country in the world have this care taker system, yet elections are successfully held.
Your arguement have no basis nor proof.
AL still managed to win municipalities in local polls, meaning people are voting for development ,not pro india.
Guys must come out of that mentality.
U are a muslim that hate India. Dont stereotype as majority of Muslims in BD, as u do not have that right. And they are the ones who voted BAL to power.

How many Hindus do you have in your country ? I think its a very small number.

So unless there is a sizable muslim group who are pro-India, there can be no pro-India group at all.

@ In our country no direct ruler of Arab came here and preached Islam. We became muslims through the preaching of "Pir, Fakir, Mashaeek. Many of the local muslims became their "Murid" and hence there is always a clash between these "Murid". So, we have lot of Islamic groups which are not united.

@ The strenght of Hindus it is something 2.5 crore even more than that. All these people are united. During Pakistan's times Hindus were divided like "Tafsheri Federation" and others.

@ In many constituencies Hindus are even 30 % so here Hindu voters are a great factor.

@ If you introduce "separate electorate" you will find AL is getting only 10/15 seats out of 300.

Excuse me if I'm wrong but why are most Bangladeshis clamoring for a caretaker Government? A caretaker government is by definition unstable and either too lame duck or too proactive (last time I remember, it was too proactive; come on, you can't just put two top candidates behind bars, it gives out some very wrong messages to the outside world.)

By the way, it's very cold here in the indian side of the Bengal today. (In my home town may be about 7/8 degrees). Are you having some of that too?

Not all country in the world have this care taker system, yet elections are successfully held.

Very few country in the world have the misfortune of having a mafia type political party like the BAL that's why they don't need a caretaker system. Germany had this kind of thug based political party during the period of 1932-1945, it was called the Nazi Party.

Excuse me if I'm wrong but why are most Bangladeshis clamoring for a caretaker Government? A caretaker government is by definition unstable and either too lame duck or too proactive (last time I remember, it was too proactive; come on, you can't just put two top candidates behind bars, it gives out some very wrong messages to the outside world.)

By the way, it's very cold here in the indian side of the Bengal today. (In my home town may be about 7/8 degrees). Are you having some of that too?

@ As because, Awami Leaque is a Mafia political party having a backing of Indian secret intelligence organization.

@ As because, Awami Leaque is a Mafia political party having a backing of Indian secret itelligence organization.

Yes, I also think that Awami League is double crossing itself by wanting the CTG in 2007 and neglecting the demands for it now.
Although I'm an Indian I must say It is ethically wrong.

However, my comment is directed towards the CTG system in general- not just in Bangladesh.

Yes, I also think that Awami League is double crossing itself by wanting the CTG in 2007 and neglecting the demands for it now.
Although I'm an Indian I must say It is ethically wrong.

However, my comment is directed towards the CTG system in general- not just in Bangladesh.

We need CTG to kick political Mafia's a$$ once in 5 years. Last time they gave good beating to Tarique Zia the dawn aka Hawa Bhaban Mafia leader.

@ In many constituencies Hindus are even 30 % so here Hindu voters are a great factor.

Hindus are 9% of the total population AFAIK, how can Hindu voters be 30%? Can anyone clarify this?

Hindus are 9% of the total population AFAIK, how can Hindu voters be 30%? Can anyone clarify this?

I think what he means is that in some electoral constituencies Hindus make up to 30% of the electorate and so can have a significant impact on election.

Most of BD Muslim population is not really "anti-India" out of conviction but do not really trust India due to some aspects of it's behaviour towards BD and also the bad treatment meted out to non-Hindus since Independence in 1947. India is generally thought of as being a radical Hindu nation that does not much like non-Muslims.

10-15% non-muslims (specially hindus) and another 10% athiest suckulars are Awami's permanent vote bank. They do have the media in their hands specially after 2008 majority of the media are Pro-BAL and those against BAL/neutral are somewhat regulated.

AL still managed to win municipalities in local polls, meaning people are voting for development ,not pro india.
Guys must come out of that mentality.
U are a muslim that hate India. Dont stereotype as majority of Muslims in BD, as u do not have that right. And they are the ones who voted BAL to power.

This is the reason why I call Indians malauns and rightfully so.:) DO U know anything about this country that U always fart from your mouth ignorantly. DO know that it was BAL who vandalized the country in 96 for this care taker system. They issued 173 days of hartal (awami hartals gives vives of mini-civil war) between 91-96 on various issues and CT system was one of them. Also they rallied for this system with Jammat as a partner. In a country like ours where there is a terrorist organization like BAL, there is no alternative to CT system.

As for munipalitit elections, what do U know. They did vote rigging in 100s of constituencies. The main oppositions are not taking part in local elections now like in the recent rangpur city corporation elections . Also do U know that BAL fagots didn't held Dhaka city corporation elections and have removed the previous elected mayor form office. They know they won't win and have showcased a master drama by dividing the Dhaka city into 2 administrative units (first of its kind). Even then they are not willing to hold elections on Dhaka city corporation.

An interim govt is not a bad idea. The army and judiciary can guarantee that know victimization will take place.

This is the reason why I call Indians malauns and rightfully so.:) DO U know anything about this country that U always fart from your mouth ignorantly. DO know that it was BAL who vandalized the country in 96 for this care taker system. They issued 173 days of hartal (awami hartals gives vives of mini-civil war) between 91-96 on various issues and CT system was one of them. Also they rallied for this system with Jammat as a partner. In a country like ours where there is a terrorist organization like BAL, there is no alternative to CT system.

As for munipalitit elections, what do U know. They did vote rigging in 100s of constituencies. The main oppositions are not taking part in local elections now like in the recent rangpur city corporation elections . Also do U know that BAL fagots didn't held Dhaka city corporation elections and have removed the previous elected mayor form office. They know they won't win and have showcased a master drama by dividing the Dhaka city into 2 administrative units (first of its kind). Even then they are not willing to hold elections on Dhaka city corporation.

And BNP rigged Magura election which made all the opposition parties to demand for CT system.

Back
Top Bottom