What's new

Bangladesh 34th in WEF Inclusive Development Index 2018

What kind of rural development? Did micro finance play a role in this?
I dont see micro credit had any massive impacts but certainly helped.

From my observation in the field, I will say micro-finance helped a lot of married women make income no matter how small that was. I've seen women go from one cow to giving a small farm. Microfinance also helped rural male population too.

Its not an ideal solution but a cheap fix i guess.
This isn't a cheap fix. This is exactly how development should be done. What good is development if half of the population is in shit conditions. This is not only for female population but the rural population as a whole. We've had tremendous growth in HDI indicators. Bottom line is that we taught rural people the benefits of family planning, helped eradicate many child diseases, also gave healthcare to mothers/women in rural areas.

I also want to add that continuous achievement in this sector is not only AL's credit. Throughout the BNP and AL period, both the govts promoted female education and empowerment and subsidized them.

Not sure why Bangladeshi feel the need to compare their economic activity to Pakistan, we have been fighting full-blown insurgency for over 20 years. Its like oranges and apples, shouldn't you be asking why are you doing so poorly compare to Pakistan since you have no foreign sponsored terrorist blowing things up all over the Bangladesh

The comparison is reasonable as together we have a shared history, and once we were same country, especially when the gap in any indicator is very close.

Also the insurgency thing understandable, but it is neither natural, nor any fate, but the failure of your govt in running your country.

So if you have such failure and we so not have, then comparison the success or failure between us in the scale of any progress indicator is reasonable.

What kind of rural development? Did micro finance play a role in this?

The biggest factor was the BD paper-based (only) improvement:

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/repository-for-bd-statistics-bbs-quality-credibility.525379/

Even with current investment/GDP ratio and export/GDP ratio of BD, they have far lower consumption/capita than Pakistan for a reason.

There are several other dissonant markers (like Dhaka liveability being rank bottom of the world), but its long subject to discuss.

The biggest factor was the BD paper-based (only) improvement:

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/repository-for-bd-statistics-bbs-quality-credibility.525379/

Even with current investment/GDP ratio and export/GDP ratio of BD, they have far lower consumption/capita than Pakistan for a reason.

There are several other dissonant markers (like Dhaka liveability being rank bottom of the world), but its long subject to discuss.

Do you understand something called cumulative wealth?

Because Pakistan has had higher GDP/capita than BD till only last year of course the average Pakistani would be wealthier than BD, and hence higher consumption in some key areas is to be expected. Also Pakistan as a state would have had far higher resources over the last 7 decades to built the physical infrastructure than BD has had.

Do you understand something called cumulative wealth?

Because Pakistan has had higher GDP/capita than BD till only last year of course the average Pakistani would be wealthier than BD, and hence higher consumption in some key areas is to be expected. Also Pakistan as a state would have had far higher resources over the last 7 decades to built the physical infrastructure than BD has had.

Sure thats part of it too. But the markers for "inclusive" development are much more sensitive to the corruption and institution credibility...given thats how the references (to be compared) are measured.

Bangladesh I am afraid is sitting near the bottom in corruption in the world, and worse is not improving (unlike Pakistan) on it. That is a huge dissonance, one of many.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom