What's new

Bangla Language Movement in Sylhet

These people are online insecure junks. Recent phenomenon it is. They cant think anything other than Sylhet and London. Not to be taken seriously. Once they mingle with broader world their perception will change. And we have already flourished non conventional areas with Bangla. Non jamaatis have no problem with Bangla.

Are you asking for political backing for Sylheti language? And then we can call it as an Independent language?

First write some books and produce quality dramas then we can see what is this language and some words which are different. It doesnt work that way to overnight call for an independent language. I have rarely ever talked to a Sylheti, lowest in the country.

These people are online insecure junks. Recent phenomenon it is. They cant think anything other than Sylhet and London. Not to be taken seriously. Once they mingle with broader world their perception will change. And we have already flourished non conventional areas with Bangla. Non jamaatis have no problem with Bangla.

No no, that's actually good for us, if Bangladesh creates troubles for us in future; like hosting the Chinese or the NE terrorists, then we will help our Sylheti brothers in their freedom movement from the occupation of Bangla-desh!! :D

then we will help our Sylheti brothers in their freedom movement from the occupation of Bangla-desh!! :D

Sylhet is the highest loyal to Bangla desh among all the areas. Proof of their loyalty is they are the pure form of AL vote bank, check 2008 election. AL means Bengali politics so they are voting in favor of Bengali. For example commander in chief of Mukti Bahini was from Sylhet and highest saint of BD is considered Sahjalal from Sylhet, in which Dhaka International airport is named. And lowest loyal are Chittagong, followed by Rajshahi. And the lowest loyal areas are of anti India BNP JeI. So you see a chance? You are always welcome to help Sylhetis to liberate Meghalaya and Barak valley.

@Khan saheb Are you asking for political backing for Sylheti language? And then we can call it as an Independent language?
Even with political backing
Shyleti will hardly be a different
language from
Bangla.Linguistically they are
too close to be to distinct
language. Don't compare it
with the standard dialect.
Standard dialect is an artificial
dialect, which was created by
the linguists to meet the
various needs of a civilized
society.Compare it with other
nearby regional dialects it
won't sound that distinct
anymore.Language speakers
are attached by intelligibility,
any Bengali speaker
understand those two dialect
and they understands
you.There always will be some
words or phrases in every
dialect which others won't
understand easily but after
spending some time they will
understand it. What happened
in Shylet is what we call
'geographical dialectal
continuum '.It's the language
border, means after shylet no
Bengali (general speakers)
understands Khasia or
Assamese language, and they
don't understand (general
speakers) Bangla.Personally I
never had a problem
understanding Shyleti even
though I don't know the
meaning of many words.It also
happens to you, even you
won't understand the meaning
of some words of my regions
dialect.
There are many more things
that can be discussed, but as
nowadays I am visiting from a
mobile phone,it's almost
impossible.

Regards.

there is some standards you have to fullfill as hinduguy mentioned two of those points, to be considered as a different language. Those standards decides which one is a language and which one is a dialect and Shyleti is a dialect by every sense.It's Sociolinguistics 101.And I say that as an expert in this field. I think years of study,field survey and research has established this point without any doubt.

If still anyone wants to believe otherwise, they are free to do so. Even my granny dosen't believe a health problem called 'high blood pressure' exists.To her it's 'jiner achor' which keeps her sick.

Regards.
It's true that Sylheti has many words and speaking styles borrowed from Bengali,because Bengali is being used as official language for centuries,and we were led to believe that we are speaking a distorted version of it.eventually it replaced Sylheti vocabulary with Bengali.That's why it sounds similar.even now its hardly mutually intelligible.

There is two version of Sylheti,one is Benglaified,the other one is non-Benglaified.

Perhaps you studied the former version of two?

It's all political,to recognize or not.

Why Hindi and Urdu are not the same language?

@sidr Cool down Bro...

@Khan saheb Are you asking for political backing for Sylheti language? And then we can call it as an Independent language?

I'm calm :-)

I just don't appreciate the way he gets personal and tries to silence me.

First write some books and produce quality dramas then we can see what is this language and some words which are different. It doesnt work that way to overnight call for an independent language. I have rarely ever talked to a Sylheti, lowest in the country.
Write some books and produce dramas to please and get approval from trash people like you?No thanks.We could be careless of your opinion.

Write some books and produce dramas to please and get approval from trash people like you?

What kind of idiot are you? Kita bai byakkhol, etho phaknami lagaila keno, fua baje mat na matia bala mat mato :D

If you have independent language you will have to ultimately prove it and use it widely. Radio TV programs, news songs poems drama movies, books, grammatical structure, scripts etc. I can understand 90% of Sylhoti though Im from South western BD. For example I can agree that Rohingya is a separate language as maybe 10% is intelligible and they are rich with resources.

Even with political backing
Shyleti will hardly be a different
language from
Bangla.Linguistically they are
too close to be to distinct
language. Don't compare it
with the standard dialect.
Standard dialect is an artificial
dialect, which was created by
the linguists to meet the
various needs of a civilized
society.Compare it with other
nearby regional dialects it
won't sound that distinct
anymore.Language speakers
are attached by intelligibility,
any Bengali speaker
understand those two dialect
and they understands
you.There always will be some
words or phrases in every
dialect which others won't
understand easily but after
spending some time they will
understand it. What happened
in Shylet is what we call
'geographical dialectal
continuum '.It's the language
border, means after shylet no
Bengali (general speakers)
understands Khasia or
Assamese language, and they
don't understand (general
speakers) Bangla.Personally I
never had a problem
understanding Shyleti even
though I don't know the
meaning of many words.It also
happens to you, even you
won't understand the meaning
of some words of my regions
dialect.
There are many more things
that can be discussed, but as
nowadays I am visiting from a
mobile phone,it's almost
impossible.

Regards.

Bangla academy should work in this area to reform and integrate new words and works in the grammatical structures. I doubt much have done after colonial era.

Last edited:

If I am not wrong there are a lot of books written useing Nagari Script. Bangla translated versions is available for buying and original books are preserved.

Sylhet Nagree - Book List

You rarely talked to a Sylheti because, we don't trend to settle outside of Sylhet.

Peace.

If I am not wrong there are a lot of books written useing Nagari Script. Bangla translated versions is available for buying and original books are preserved.

Sylhet Nagree - Book List

They are old books puthi and manuscript there are tons of old Bengali puthis which majority of the people dont understand. Those represent dead language to be preserved in museum. Did you ever visit Bengali book fairs around the country? Every year thousands of new books come out and new resources are translated from abroad apart from academic. And local and national news magazines all are in Bangla. Im talking about it, what is Sylheti doing respected to that by which it can claim independent language.

You rarely talked to a Sylheti because, we don't trend to settle outside of Sylhet.

I have talked with various people from around the country in School, College and Uni. But never a Sylheti. Only rarely when I went to visit. But I have a khalu in our family from Sylhet lives in UK only talked during the marriage ceremony.

I can't understand even a single Rohingya word. By the way, nice news channel for rohingya community.What is this channel called and from where it function?

Rohingya Vision TV

Im not sure where its based.
ROHINGYA VISION TV | PEOPLE'S VOICE

They are old books puthi and manuscript there are tons of old Bengali puthis which majority of the people dont understand. Those represent dead language to be preserved in museum. Did you ever visit Bengali book fairs around the country? Every year thousands of new books come out and new resources are translated from abroad apart from academic. And local and national news magazines all are in Bangla. Im talking about it, what is Sylheti doing respected to that by which it can claim independent language.
I am currently living in Sylhet for almost a decade and I have come across a number of local Sylheti newspaper.But I have yet to come a newspaper which is written in a Sylheti dialect.Same case with books.No one worth mentioning ever from Sylhet demanded recognition of their dialect as a separate language apart from Bangla.

This type of separate Sylheti ethnicity,language talk only heard from some loony 2nd generation sylheti kids in UK who could not assimilate neither with British society nor have any connection or communication with Bangladesh.So they are inventing separate Sylheti identity to suit their identity search.:lol::lol:

Last edited:
Sylhet is the highest loyal to Bangla desh among all the areas. Proof of their loyalty is they are the pure form of AL vote bank, check 2008 election. AL means Bengali politics so they are voting in favor of Bengali. For example commander in chief of Mukti Bahini was from Sylhet and highest saint of BD is considered Sahjalal from Sylhet, in which Dhaka International airport is named. And lowest loyal are Chittagong, followed by Rajshahi. And the lowest loyal areas are of anti India BNP JeI. So you see a chance? You are always welcome to help Sylhetis to liberate Meghalaya and Barak valley.

Stop your nonsense dumbass. Where do you get this shit? Which Chittagongian you have seen not loyal to Bangladesh? Are you an Indian by any chance?

Stop your nonsense dumbass. Where do you get this shit? Which Chittagongian you have seen not loyal to Bangladesh? Are you an Indian by any chance?

First of all use words wisely.

Chittagong hill tracts are the lowest loyal to BD.

And Rohingya areas are lowest loyal to BD, Cox's Bazar to Teknaf

Only Chittagong city and district which is in firm control by ethnic population.

And what I meant him is lowest loyal to Bangla Desh under present gov. All Hefazot type andolon is coming from Cht. And I recently talked to native people of Cht from the bazar area before entering Bandarban that gov has least control over them.

Last edited:
First of all use words wisely.

Chittagong hill tracts are the lowest loyal to BD.

And Rohingya areas are lowest loyal to BD, Cox's Bazar to Teknaf

Only Chittagong city and district which is in farm control by ethnic population.

And what I meant him is lowest loyal to Bangla Desh under present gov. All Hefazot type andolon is coming from Cht. And I recently talked to native people of Cht from the bazar area before entering Bandarban that gov has least control over them.

I don't know about their loyalty but Chittagong Hill Tracts never demanded separation from Bangladesh while independence day and victory are observed there with the same reverence as anywhere else in the country. Cox's Bazar is a Bangalee dominated area, Rohingyas are only found in the confined camps and may be in the Shahporir deep. Loyalty to government is not the main thing, there will always be supporters of different political parties, government will never be equally popular in every area.

Back
Top Bottom