What's new

Bangla Language Movement in Sylhet

We are trying to have a serious discussion here. Third generation under puberty londoni monkey dance is unwanted.

You can clearly see your forefathers who first decided to opt for Bengali which was source of variety of resources. Nagri was unintelligible. Sylhetis started first Bengali movement in EP and they started in Assam as well. Other areas of Bengal also had their own scripts also. You can dig deep for cavemen scripts, decode them and name your own new language. No one is stopping you and you are welcome to encircle yourself into your own circle where language was meant for communication.

For example this is Puthi of Bengal. You wouldnt even understan difference between Bengali and Puthi

Ancient-Bangla-Script-Puthi.jpg

Southern Chittagong Arakan scripts

EAP071_25_2-071_CNDRMK05_0013_L.jpg

Why throw personal remarks? My forefathers also opted for Pakistan.
We are trying to have a serious discussion here. Third generation under puberty londoni monkey dance is unwanted.

You can clearly see your forefathers who first decided to opt for Bengali which was source of variety of resources. Nagri was unintelligible. Sylhetis started first Bengali movement in EP and they started in Assam as well. Other areas of Bengal also had their own scripts also. You can dig deep for cavemen scripts, decode them and name your own new language. No one is stopping you and you are welcome to encircle yourself into your own circle where language was meant for communication.

For example this is Puthi of Bengal. You wouldnt even understan difference between Bengali and Puthi

Ancient-Bangla-Script-Puthi.jpg

Southern Chittagong Arakan scripts

EAP071_25_2-071_CNDRMK05_0013_L.jpg

Why throw personal remarks? Vile man. And rightly so, we dig out our own history, in this case our own language. Just like Urdu is declared as a language, due to it's differences in regards to script and words.

Btw, this bong bang doesn't qualify to speak on behalf of people who speak Sylheti.

Why throw personal remarks? My forefathers also opted for Pakistan.

Why throw personal remarks? Vile man.

If you were normal not jamati rajakar minded our discussions was different from both the end. Its not the case. So whatever you talk cant be taken as there may be ill motivation behind it. Your forefather may not have opted for Pakistan as he can be also from jamat e Islami. Which was against it. And your forefathers were always close to Bengal due to similarity with it and geographical proximity that is why. And that is why a man from Sirajganj, awami leader Bhashani led you to join with us.

And rightly so, we dig out our own history, in this case our own language. Just like Urdu is declared as a language, due to it's differences in regards to script and words.

Only relief is people of Sylhetis are bright minded. And is still largely awamis that is why whatever you are blabbering here I know they will do whatever best for them.

Sylheti and Bangla isn't the same,period.
It's more closer to Hindi-Urdu than Bangla,though lately it's getting heavily influenced by Bangla.So far the government is successful in making us swallow whatever they want us to swallow,I guess they are doing it for the better,to keep the unity.
It's true that Sylheti has many borrowed words from Bangla (and other languages),so does every freakin languages around,that doesn't make it Bangla.It's hardly mutually intelligible.
Personally I can't speak Bangla,It's hard for me to pronounce the way they pronounce,its sounds so foreign to me when someone asks something in Bangla.It pisses me off when someone tells me to use Shuddho.Seriously,what the hell is shuddho?It can be standard,but not pure.There's hardly any pure language.
I can write and understand it properly though.

Sylheti and Bangla isn't the same,period.
It's more closer to Hindi-Urdu than Bangla,though lately it's getting heavily influenced by Bangla.So far the government is successful in making us swallow whatever they want us to swallow,I guess they are doing it for the better,to keep the unity.
It's true that Sylheti has many borrowed words from Bangla (and other languages),so does every freakin languages around,that doesn't make it Bangla.It's hardly mutually intelligible.
Personally I can't speak Bangla,It's hard for me to pronounce the way they pronounce,its sounds so foreign to me when someone asks something in Bangla.It pisses me off when someone tells me to use Shuddho.Seriously,what the hell is shuddho?It can be standard,but not pure.There's hardly any pure language.
I can write and understand it properly though.

Say something in Sylheti, let me see if I can understand.

In sylhet, non-sylhetis are called Bangali. We do not get along with people from other district because of cultural difference. Chitagang probably closed to us culturley. Our culture shape by Islam whereas they are influenced by Hinduism. We don't intermarriage with other district either. We are Bangladeshi but not Bangali.

I would classify difference between Bengali and Sylheti like Tamil and Malayalam
Tamil and Malayalam are two state language spoken by the people of different state in India with each having an impressive literature and media usage behind them. On the other hand most people in Sylhet and Bangladesh as a whole consider Sylheti is a local dialect of Bangla. I am now living in Sylhet for almost 8 years and I can tell you, with the exception of some internet jerk anybody in Sylhet doesn't no that they are speaking anything other than Bangla albeit in local form.There is no local newspaper circulation or books written in Sylheti dialect.All use standard Bangla and educated Sylheti are increasingly abandoning speaking in it and adopting standard form.

There is no measurable movement among the Sylheti to achieve recognition of their dialect as a full fledged language separated from Bangla, and International mother's language day is observed here in the same scale and with the same zeal as any other place of BD.So don't listen and get the wrong impression from some loony Sylheti diaspora sitting in UK.:P

What I understand that Sylhetis are earlier Bengali migrants settled there in the remote corner in the Barak valley and Sylhet area. Ditaching itself from rest of the areas by small and big haors such as Hakaluki and Tanguar, small and big rivers such as Surma, Kushiara, Titas. And grew up distinct tongues there. Otherwise those hills would have been occupied by Garo, Hajong and Monipuris. Same like Rohingyas and Bengalis in Assam's Brahmaputra valley. Difference is Sylhet was occupied much earlier and only Sylhet could make up in the country.

Last edited:
Tamil and Malayalam are two state language spoken by the people of different state in India with each having an impressive literature and media usage behind them. On the other hand most people in Sylhet and Bangladesh as a whole consider Sylheti is a local dialect of Bangla. I am now living in Sylhet for almost 8 years and I can tell you, with the exception of some internet jerk anybody in Sylhet doesn't no that they are speaking anything other than Bangla albeit in local form.There is no local newspaper circulation or books written in Sylheti dialect.All use standard Bangla and educated Sylheti are increasingly abandoning speaking in it and adopting standard form.

There is no measurable movement among the Sylheti to achieve recognition of their dialect as a full fledged language separated from Bangla, and International mother's language day is observed here in the same scale and with the same zeal as any other place of BD.So don't listen and get the wrong impression from some loony Sylheti diaspora sitting in UK.:P
Sir, your sylheti friends might be some non-sylhetis who pretend to be a Sylheti. You should know we don't even consider half sylheti as Sylheti.

We are very sensitive and conservative about our language. And no sylheti will abandon his/her language and heritage anyway. We don't want to become rootless like others.

Thanks. And lets not talk about this subject.

What I understand that Sylhetis are earlier Bengali migrants settled there in the remote corner in the Barak valley and Sylhet area. Ditaching itself from rest of the areas by small and big haors such as Hakaluki and Tanguar, small and big rivers such as Surma, Kushiara, Titas. And grew up distinct tongues there. Otherwise those hills would have been occupied by Garo, Hajong and Monipuris. Same like Rohingyas and Bengalis in Assam's Brahmaputra valley. Difference is Sylhet was occupied much earlier and only Sylhet could make up in the country.

Well,that is poor understanding.There are other ethnicities beside Bengalis.According to your logic most of the people in south Asia migrated from Bengal then,because they reside near Bengal.

Anyone's opinion does not change the facts.
If you're still going to say that its a dialect of Bangla,prove it why its a dialect,where Bangla was evolved from,where was the root of so called Bengali people,why Hindi a language and not a dialect of Bangla,but Sylheti is?despite hardly any mutual intelligibility.The words you find in common also exists in other Indo-Aryan languages,not just Sylheti.
Every language borrow words,Bangla has countless words borrowed from Sanskrit,do we call Bangla Sanskrit?or consider it as dialect of Sanskrit? Nope.

The government made people believe what they want to.It's true that most of the sheeple(you can't call them people) swallows without chewing.

BTW,the term 'Bengoli'(Bengali) used to be used as a racial slur to point out that the person is a non-sylheti,now it's something our idiotic generation believe they are and proud of it.The power of propaganda.
And,does international mother language day means only Bengali mother language day?anyone can celebrate their mother language day,it's not necessary to be a Bengali to celebrate.

In sylhet, non-sylhetis are called Bangali. We do not get along with people from other district because of cultural difference. Chitagang probably closed to us culturley. Our culture shape by Islam whereas they are influenced by Hinduism. We don't intermarriage with other district either. We are Bangladeshi but not Bangali.

Bro some of these so called Bangladeshis don't know about Sylhetis, they are not Sylheti so you can't really blame them. Only a Sylheti can explain the typical Sylheti graam life. What is a urban dwelling middle class fuchu fwa with 24/7 internet access going to understand about Sylhet? Zilch.

if bengali and sylheti are not mutually intelligible then sylheti is a separate language.
there is no definite criteria to determine what is a dialect and what is a separate language.. all languages must have branched off as dialects in the beginning... in case of sylheti, it did not get enough isolation and political backing to make it to league of separate language, yet. If the political power center remains in dhaka, its more likely that sylheti will get diluted with bengali words.
assamese and oriya have lot of similarity with bengali, without political backing they would be called dialects of bengali now(if power center remained in Kolkata)

can somebody write a few sentences of sylheti here, to see how many bengali speaking people can understand it.

if bengali and sylheti are not mutually intelligible then sylheti is a separate language.
there is no definite criteria to determine what is a dialect and what is a separate language.. all languages must have branched off as dialects in the beginning... in case of sylheti, it did not get enough isolation and political backing to make it to league of separate language, yet. If the political power center remains in dhaka, its more likely that sylheti will get diluted with bengali words.
assamese and oriya have lot of similarity with bengali, without political backing they would be called dialects of bengali now(if power center remained in Kolkata)

can somebody write a few sentences of sylheti here, to see how many bengali speaking people can understand it.
খাইতে ফাড়না চাউলর গুড়ি, বিয়া খড়াত জাউ মৌলবির ফুড়ি?

খাইতে ফাড়না চাউলর গুড়ি, বিয়া খড়াত জাউ মৌলবির ফুড়ি?
Khete parena chaler guri.biye korte jay moulovir meye.Roughly means building casle in the sky.

If I speak some khasa (raw) sylheti I guarantee most of these internet nerds won't understand it. Bos khalas.

Back
Top Bottom