What's new

Ayatollah Khamenei rejects talks with US under pressure

raptor22

Reaction score
Country
Iran, Islamic Republic Of
Ayatollah Khamenei rejects talks with US under pressure

fathi20130207102456110.jpg

Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei has rejected any talks with the United States under pressure and threats.

“I am not a diplomat. I am a revolutionary and speak frankly, honestly, and firmly. An offer of talks makes sense only when the side [that makes the offer] shows its goodwill,” Ayatollah Khamenei said in a meeting with the officials and commanders of Iran’s Navy on Thursday.

“You (the Americans) point the gun at Iran and say either negotiations or we pull the trigger! You should know that pressure and negotiations don’t go together, and the [Iranian] nation will not be intimidated by such things.”

Ayatollah Khamenei pointed to the remarks by American officials that ‘the ball is now in Iran's court,’ and noted, “The ball is in your court, because you should answer the question of whether speaking of negotiations at the same time as continuing pressure and threats makes any sense at all.”

The Leader pointed out, however, that, “We, of course, understand their (the Americans’) need for negotiations, because the Middle East policy of the Americans has failed, and in order to compensate for this failure, they need to play a trump card.”

Taking Iran to the negotiating table is the trump card that the US needs, Ayatollah Khamenei noted, adding that the US seeks to tell the world it has good will. “However, no one sees any goodwill.”

Speaking at the 49th annual Munich Security Conference in Germany on February 2, US Vice President Joe Biden said Washington was ready to hold direct talks with Iran over the country’s nuclear energy program.

The United States, the Israeli regime and some of their allies have repeatedly accused Iran of pursuing non-civilian objectives in its nuclear energy program.

Iran argues that as a signatory to the nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT) and a member of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), it is entitled to develop and acquire nuclear technology for peaceful purposes.

Source

Khamenei is an authoritarian ruler, with little checks and balances on his power... Everything we fought against in the revolution. But as far as Iranian national interests are concerned, I agree with him on that 100%.

Khamenei made a boss decision... We can't have dialogue with an aggressive and hostile nation.

and what is point of talk with USA ....

they would make some one sided conditions for us and after we wouldn't accept it ... they would begin a propaganda war and more sanction ....

are you think USA wanted to change his politics toward Iran !? absolutely no ...

this awfull that some people doesn't understand western politics after 250 years ...

Khamenei is an authoritarian ruler, with little checks and balances on his power... Everything we fought against in the revolution. But as far as Iranian national interests are concerned, I agree with him on that 100%.

:what: :what: :what:

and what is point of talk with USA ....

they would make some one sided conditions for us and after we wouldn't accept it ... they would begin a propaganda war and more sanction ....

are you think USA wanted to change his politics toward Iran !? absolutely no ...

this awfull that some people doesn't understand western politics after 250 years ...

The Iranian regime policy is the first problem, second is US policy. when a regime that never respect to what her people want, when a regime who cares to other nations(like Palestine) more than his nation and sacrifice all her interests for that and over 30 years yelling against Israel and doing whatever they can for Palestinian, at the end just see they are crying for Saddam or after all these helps they getting terrorists sides in Syria(such an idiot,because Iran sends weapons to them through syria). when a regime never accept reforms and don't like accept his mistakes in the past and take lessons from them,beside all achievements that they got, they will just ruin the country and all achievements . when they choose Israel such an enemy by no logical reasons and never change their policy, it means they are just stupid.
I don't support either people who like shah times or people who like to be friend with america. I like what Chinese did. they accepted reforms during 80's in policy and economy but still are not puppet of US. At the end, the problem is khamenei who take decisions for a nation and a nation cant do whatever they decide if A man doesn't accept it.

The Iranian regime policy is the first problem, second is US policy. when a regime that never respect to what her people want, when a regime who cares to other nations(like Palestine) more than his nation and sacrifice all her interests for that and over 30 years yelling against Israel and doing whatever they can for Palestinian, at the end just see they are crying for Saddam or after all these helps they getting terrorists sides in Syria(such an idiot,because Iran sends weapons to them through syria). when a regime never accept reforms and don't like accept his mistakes in the past and take lessons from them,beside all achievements that they got, they will just ruin the country and all achievements . when they choose Israel such an enemy by no logical reasons and never change their policy, it means they are just stupid.
I don't support either people who like shah times or people who like to be friend with america. I like what Chinese did. they accepted reforms during 80's in policy and economy but still are not puppet of US. At the end, the problem is khamenei who take decisions for a nation and a nation cant do whatever they decide if A man doesn't accept it.

In my view, you're mixing things up, uhuhu jan. The type of governance we choose to have in Iran is the business of Iranian people only. Nobody else should have a say in it and our choice should not be subject to pressure from outside sources. That choice is an ongoing experiment which is often times very painful and extremely costly. But then so is life! We are imperfect beings and as a result we make imperfect (i.e. often bad) decisions. The best we can do is to pay the price for our mistakes, fully recognize what we did wrong, learn from it and move on.

The Islamic revolution has been a very very painful experiment. In fact, you probably don't even know a fraction of it. But even at this point, I would say it was unavoidable and even necessary for our social growth and future development. That is our burden as Iranians. Everybody has to pay a price for what they want. And that is our price. We have to get to know it, understand it and even cherish it. Because at the end, this is how we will become free.

But as far as a country's national interests are concerned, they are usually inherent to the country and vary very little from one form of government to the next. Now whether a government chooses to drive their country's national interests or not is another matter, subject to debate and disagreement. In my opinion, the Islamic Republic establishment has pushed Iran's national interests far more stridently than any other regime in contemporary history.

“I am not a diplomat. I am a revolutionary"

halleluja

at least he admits that he's a dictator

I'm pro-Normalization of relations with the United States and with the rest of the world for that matter, however, under current circumstances any talk with the United States will not be beneficial for our interests.

One of the reasons being, Mr. Obama's "powerlessness" against the U.S. congress and senate, there is no guarantee that the U.S. will honor its end of the bargain since the United States senators are trying so hard for the negotiations to fail. Most of these U.S. senators are affiliated with the foreign lobbies such as AIPAC and put plainly are on their payroll.

I think its logical to assume that if you want to reach an agreement on an important issue such as "Iranian Nuclear Program", you don't initiate a new round of sanctions in the midst of negotiations and instead try to offer juicier carrots (something more "solid" than allowing Iran to buy civilian aircraft spare parts! This is an insult actually!), because there won't be any backing off on the Iran side, not until West promise to lift the sanctions, United States stop supporting terrorists, etc...

However, I do agree because of the trust issues between the two sides, both must follow a mutual gain approach to ensure that the other side honor its ends of the deal, however these steps must be reversible in case each side of the agreement decides to go over its words, I do believe closing down the Fordow should not even be part of this agreement (because its irreversible), United States has shown many times that its not to be trusted.

People of Iran should think from the head n not from the heart. This khomini is living a luxruious life of his own, while his subjects are living a tough life under sanctions. Today more new sanctions applied.

Today more new sanctions applied.

Another reason not to talk. When sanctions are imposed they're not easily scrapped. Despite U.S. invasion of Iraq in 2003 some of the Iraq sanctions were still in place in 2012.

Same case with Zimbabwe!

EU unlikely to scrap sanctions

I'm pro-talk, but not under current circumstances, nuclear issue with G5+1 must be resolved first.

Back
Top Bottom