What's new

Australians view on China

Hafizzz

Reaction score
Tomorrow When the War Began: An Aussie Red Dawn ? » LFM: Libertas Film Magazine

The acclaimed Australian writer John Marsden wrote a series of war novels which came to be known as the "Tomorrow" series. The first of those was entitled, "Tomorrow When the War Began" and has now been adapted into a movie:

http://www.youtube.com/v/f_KhErNyiq8?fs=1&hl=en_US

The story deals with a group of Australian youths who are forced to grow up when they are confronted with a foreign military invasion of their country. In the novel, the identity of the foreign invader is not explicitly mentioned. In the movie however, the occupying soldiers are clearly shown as East Asians with mongoloid features.

http://www.youtube.com/v/NrHFuKT2OMY?fs=1&hl=en_US

Aussie are such funny people.

I read the first book for 4th form english class. When I read it I feels that the invaders are more likely from places like Indonesia

China just acquired Fiji as a satellite which is a hostile state to Australia. Ofc they'd feel threatened... It's nice I don't live near the West Pacific...

Though, you guys shouldn't hate Aussies, since they're the only western country that understands the aversion of Chinese to Japanese imperialism, simply because they were the only western country that was close to being invaded by Japan.

Probably ment to be Tibetan fanatics lead by the Dali Lama, apparently China is afraid of the same thing.

Can't blame too much on Australians for feeling that way, their fears are mostly Indonesian invasion. Though Indonesia is not military strong, but you can't say it will not be powerful in future, and with population about 10 times bigger, or in absolute figures, about 200 million more people, Aussies' worries can be understood.

same for Israelis and Singaporeans.

Aussies have obession with future..remember the series girl from tommrow??

Aussie are such funny people.

I don't see how China comes into it? They don't put a country to the force in the movie on purpose. Most people picture the invaders to be Indonesians as the guy suggested above, as they are closest and most aggressive threat to Australia.

I read the first book for 4th form english class. When I read it I feels that the invaders are more likely from places like Indonesia

Exactly. But the invaders are left unnamed for a reason, and this is exactly the reason.

China just acquired Fiji as a satellite which is a hostile state to Australia. Ofc they'd feel threatened... It's nice I don't live near the West Pacific...

Though, you guys shouldn't hate Aussies, since they're the only western country that understands the aversion of Chinese to Japanese imperialism, simply because they were the only western country that was close to being invaded by Japan.

Lol, what a load of crap.

1. Fiji is not a satellite of China.

2. Fiji is not hostile to Australia nor is Australia hostile to Fiji. There is some disagreement but certainly not hostile.

3. Australia is not threatened by China. China and Australia are good friends and good training partners.

I find it amazing that you all coming to a conclusion that we are all threatened by China just because 1 person decides to make a fiction movie with Asian people in it lol.

Can't blame too much on Australians for feeling that way, their fears are mostly Indonesian invasion. Though Indonesia is not military strong, but you can't say it will not be powerful in future, and with population about 10 times bigger, or in absolute figures, about 200 million more people, Aussies' worries can be understood.

same for Israelis and Singaporeans.

Correct, though these days things are peaceful, if a country did invade Australia in the future, it would be Indonesia.

But this is just 1 fiction movie, i don't see why people are taking this as some sort of statement of how everyone in Australias feels towards China.

Last edited:
I don't see how China comes into it? They don't put a country to the force in the movie on purpose. Most people picture the invaders to be Indonesians as the guy suggested above, as they are closest and most aggressive threat to Australia.

Correct, though these days things are peaceful, if a country did invade Australia in the future, it would be Indonesia.

But this is just 1 fiction movie, i don't see why people are taking this as some sort of statement of how everyone in Australias feels towards China.

Indonesia? Is anyone really worried about a military threat from Indonesia? Demographic invasion maybe but what's the history between Aus and Indonesia?

Indonesia? Is anyone really worried about a military threat from Indonesia? Demographic invasion maybe but what's the history between Aus and Indonesia?

It could just be western public perceptions on nations that are Islamic.
Also Indonesian population are still increasing quite fast.

That is true, but I think their laws are also getting more draconian.

Why is there a shift to fundamentalism? Is it so that government can better control the populance?

I prefer the government of a country to maintain some sort of secularism. Religion should be a personal issue.

^^^^^ the development of political Islam is a really interesting issue and something I'll probably read more about eventually.

I'm assuming the bali bombing is a out-growth of the radicalizing and shift towards fundamentalism in Indonesia?

Please read my post carefully. Australia and Indonesia are at peace and are friends, BUT if any country were to invade Australia in the future it would be Indonesia.

Indonesia is unstable at times and has had some pretty bad governments.

Anyway this thread is very stupid, and was obviously made to stir up trouble. A simple fictional movie was made and then Hafizzz takes it and makes a thread saying "THIS IS WHAT ALL OF AUSTRALIANS THINK ABOUT CHINA"

That's bloody absurd. It's a film made written by 1 person, not 22 million people. Also China isn't even mentioned in the movie, it's not about China.

Back
Top Bottom