What's new

Australia strikes deal to send uranium to India

For playing these type of games you need valuable cards.Luckily we have a lot of them.

Yes you did, and with a decent history of non-porliferation has helped.

I think we will have to wait for a while and rely on our own reserves. But I don't want to go off-topic, it's about India.

Yes you did, and with a decent history of non-porliferation has helped.

I think we will have to wait for a while and rely on our own reserves. But I don't want to go off-topic, it's about India.

Actually we also have doubt about this.We have our own proven resources.
But I think it is more about other national interests.
Australia is global leaders in uranium supplies.Now we got
their recognition in nuclear energy sector .An outsider in both NPT and Security Council .And we can pressurize Japan also .
It is more about our international status.
Besides their Uranium quality is top notch something that we dont have.

Actually we also have doubt about this.We have our own proven resources.
But I think it is more about other national interests.
Australia is global leaders in uranium supplies.Now we got
their recognition in nuclear energy sector .An outsider in both NPT and Security Council .And we can pressurize Japan also .
It is more about our international status.
Besides their Uranium quality is top notch something that we dont have.

Of course, it's a case of killing two birds with one stone. India has done a superb job in this regard i.e. secured good suppliers and raised its prestige as a Nuclear state.
I'm not sure about the quality of Indian uranium, but I guess it would be used sparingly and kept in reserve.

a majority of people in the country still appear opposed to the idea of selling the mineral to New Delhi."More than 60% of Australians say they are against 'Australia selling uranium to India', with 39% saying they are 'strongly against'," according to the eight annual Lowy Institute poll 2012. India is a nuclear weapons' state. They are on the record as saying they're trying to buy foreign sources of uranium so they can lock up their domestic reserves for a nuclear arms race with Pakistan.

a majority of people in the country still appear opposed to the idea of selling the mineral to New Delhi."More than 60% of Australians say they are against 'Australia selling uranium to India', with 39% saying they are 'strongly against'," according to the eight annual Lowy Institute poll 2012. India is a nuclear weapons' state. They are on the record as saying they're trying to buy foreign sources of uranium so they can lock up their domestic reserves for a nuclear arms race with Pakistan.

do you have any link to that poll ?

Well, India needs nuclear cooperation to deal with energy crisis but the worrying issue is that who will check whether this deal has civilian purposes behind. Earlier 1st Indian nuclear explosion was carried out by diverting peaceful nuclear deal to military purposes. Anyway, global machinery has been failed to provide robust mechanism to restrict states from acquiring nuclear capability. That's why even peaceful nuclear deals have been diverted to military purposes.

Back
Top Bottom