What's new

Australia selects Pakistani player for test squad

Creder

Reaction score
Loyalties are set to be divided in Usman Khawaja's family after the talented NSW batsman earned Australian Test squad selection on Tuesday.

Sure, his relatives couldn't be more proud of the classy left-hander following his promotion to the 14-man squad along with paceman Ben Hilfenhaus for next month's two-Test series against Pakistan in England.

But even Pakistan-born Khawaja wasn't certain who his family based on the sub-continent would be rooting for if he earned a baggy green in the UK.

"Hopefully me," the 23-year-old laughed.

"My grandmother's there (Pakistan) on my mum's side.

"I haven't gone back there for about four years, but I have a few (relatives) up there.

"I haven't thought about it (family loyalties) like that.

"I am just very happy being in the squad."

A qualified pilot, Khawaja was on cloud nine when told he had held out the challenge of Tasmania's George Bailey to snap up the squad vacancy left by injured NSW teammate Phil Hughes (shoulder).

Perhaps the only man happier was his cricket-mad dad Tariq who encouraged his son to play the game after the family moved from Islamabad to Sydney when Khawaja was three.

"I woke him up this morning and told him I was in the squad - he was really happy," he said in Brisbane on Tuesday.

"I was really excited - I just had to tell someone."

While born in Pakistan, Khawaja had posters of Adam Gilchrist and Shane Warne on his bedroom wall as a kid.

And now a baggy green is on the cards.

But entry into a more elite club also looms - Khawaja is poised to become the first Muslim to play cricket for Australia.

Not that he wanted to dwell on the significance.

"When I first got told that I was going over to England today that didn't even cross my mind," he said.

"It doesn't cross my mind until someone brings it up.

"I am around the boys all the time and I never once ever feel like I am different.

"When I was a kid I dreamed of going on tour but I am not looking too far ahead - if I just carry the drinks the whole time, it doesn't really bother me.

"It's just exciting to be around Punter (skipper Ricky Ponting) - I have never met him."

Khawaja had been warming up for the tour by playing for Australia A in a four-day match series against Sri Lanka A, alongside fellow call-up Hilfenhaus.

The swing bowler came back from almost seven months out with knee tendonitis with a bang, snaring 5-28 for Australia A in Brisbane on Monday.

Good for the lad and for all Asian cricketers down under. I was always perplexed as to why nobody from the large Asian immigrant community ever represents Australia in cricket. Is it a sign of a lack of integration with the Aussie mainstream? Hopefully, many more will follow Usman. :tup:

I hope,

a. The Pakistani's in aussia doesn't end up with racial attacks.
b. His fellow team mates treat him equally.
c. While playing against Pakistan he is not being called/referred as traitor. (Sajid Mehmood of England had this honor from some Pakistani's in England.)

GB

why u indians got jealous alot because aussies treat pakistanis well and india with rocks hahhaha thats why only i like aussies because they are ant indians

Good for the lad and for all Asian cricketers down under. I was always perplexed as to why nobody from the large Asian immigrant community ever represents Australia in cricket. Is it a sign of a lack of integration with the Aussie mainstream? Hopefully, many more will follow Usman. :tup:

The cricket team isn't selected by race........ it's selected by skill. If an asian person has good cricket skills then they will be in the team as it has been proven with this Pakistani guy being put on the squad.

khawaja saab playing from Oz's :yahoo:

seems like rasicm in Australia is gradually decreasing :)

I knew, I knew!!!!!!!!!!!!!
he plays from New South Wales... He is just awesome....
I am already a big fan of him......:chilli:

that question lingered in my mind, many time, It will be a good feeling if he perform well, even against Pakistan :tup:

khawaja saab playing from Oz's :yahoo:

seems like rasicm in Australia is gradually decreasing :)

There was never any racism here. The Racist, biased, Indian media mis-informed everyone by taking advantage of someone getting assaulted and then spinning it out as a "racist" attack.

There was never any racism here. The Racist, biased, Indian media mis-informed everyone by taking advantage of someone getting assaulted and then spinning it out as a "racist" attack.

indians maybe liers, but aussies are indeed racists, thats an undeniable fact, sledging n racist views in cricket are indeed aussie born

why u indians got jealous alot because aussies treat pakistanis well and india with rocks hahhaha thats why only i like aussies because they are ant indians

please refrain from making such comments here,u r making things difficult here,then indian's will start opening pakistani accounts in U.S and U.K and in the end matter become totally worst here

indian's r congratulating you,take that compliments,thats it

indians maybe liers, but aussies are indeed racists, thats an undeniable fact, sledging n racist views in cricket are indeed aussie born

I have never heard any aussie cricketer say anything racist, i have only heard racist remarks said towards them.

Australian crickter andrew symonds was repeatedly called a "monkey" by thousands of cricket fans in a chant at a cricket match in India.

The cricket team isn't selected by race........ it's selected by skill. If an asian person has good cricket skills then they will be in the team as it has been proven with this Pakistani guy being put on the squad.

You got me wrong there. I wasn't trying to insinuate that Aussie cricket authorities are racially biased and knowingly discriminate against Asian players. My point, without raising any fingers at anybody, was more around the comparatively longer time it has taken to Asian players in Australia to make their mark internationally and the probable reasons behind it. You can read it again -

Good for the lad and for all Asian cricketers down under. I was always perplexed as to why nobody from the large Asian immigrant community ever represents Australia in cricket. Is it a sign of a lack of integration with the Aussie mainstream? Hopefully, many more will follow Usman.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom