What's new

Australia eyes defence business in India

Indian anger over Footscray 'crime on humanity' - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
xdrive,
Please read the article and see what the Indian External Affairs Minister has said about future India Australia relations.

The murder of 1 person won't cut all the Indian-Australian ties. Indian and Australia have alot of ties, and it will take much more then a murder of 1 person to cut the ties.

And don't even bother going into the whole "Indian students attacked" crapped, half of it is nonsense anyway and it won't change ties between the two countries.

Anyway stay on topic, don't go off it. Like it or not, Australia and India have strong ties, which is now even stronger with defence companies selling in India.

The murder of 1 person won't cut all the Indian-Australian ties. Indian and Australia have alot of ties, and it will take much more then a murder of 1 person to cut the ties.

And don't even bother going into the whole "Indian students attacked" crapped, half of it is nonsense anyway and it won't change ties between the two countries.

Anyway stay on topic, don't go off it. Like it or not, Australia and India have strong ties, which is now even stronger with defence companies selling in India.

What man u r saying about the whole Indian student community getting attacked,and still their will b no aftermaths,more than indian govt ,Australian govt should b concerned about this issue,as this students bring a lot of money to the Australian coffers and ur simply naive if u think no action will b followed after that,even the Indian govt dont need to do anything

Wow 'Murder of 1 person'. You and your racist Aussie thinking. What a scumbag you are man?
Would love to read your reaction if an Aussie sissy gets murdered in India.

Maybe nonsense to you racist Australians but not to us. Just wait and watch what happens about diplomatic relations.

An MOU was signed you IDIOT. Means squat. No deals were finalized and never will. Believe me, in weapons purchase, we only consider US, Russia, Israel and France as having any credibility.
I don't understand why you want strong India-Australia relations so desperately?

and never will. Believe me
You can't make such a statement when you are not part of the Indian government.

in weapons purchase, we only consider US, Russia, Israel and France as having any credibility.
You keep giving out your personal opinion, your personal opinion is not the indian governments position.

I don't understand why you want strong India-Australia relations so desperately?
Ties are strong as i proved earlier, yet you keep saying they aren't when i clearly showed they are. Your personal opinion is not fact, or policy.

I only speak in facts. We share share political, economic, security, linguistic and sporting ties.

It is not the matter of murder of one person.The Indians are being systematically targeted in Australia these days.Had it been a one off incident then probably,it would not have caught that much attention. Even today,yet another Indian was attacked in Australia .All these incidents have caused much resentment back in India.
The relationship of India with Australia is good.But the Australian govt. must take some concrete steps to stop these kind of racial crime if it wishes to keep the relations the way it is.

Good relations are based on mutual respect.If someone wishes not to be respectful anymore then at the same time he ceases being respectable anymore.
If you think that friendly relations will be continued in spite of the attacks then you should really listen to what the Indian ministers have to say regarding the issue.

Diplomat to fly out as India revs up criticism over students
INDIA'S high commissioner, Sujatha Singh, will return to Delhi for talks next week amid rising diplomatic tension over attacks on Indian students in Australia.

Mrs Singh made a stinging complaint to the Governor-General, Quentin Bryce, over the attacks in Melbourne, labelling Victoria a state ''in denial'' over the severity of the problem.

Mrs Singh sought the meeting with Ms Bryce in Sydney last Friday as India's frustration with Australian authorities intensifies.
Mrs Singh is believed to have told Ms Bryce Australia was not racist but warned of long-term consequences unless more action was taken to prevent attacks.

She praised police action in NSW, Queensland and South Australia but said Victoria was taking too long to respond.

Word of the envoy's return came after India's External Affairs Minister, S. M. Krishna, issued a strong statement on the attacks, demanding they be "stopped forthwith".

Mrs Singh will travel to Delhi to explain her perspective on the violence, which threatens to seriously damage relations between the nations.

Some Indian media outlets are reporting she has been "recalled" because of the controversy surrounding the attacks. But a government source said the meetings were not out of the ordinary and Mrs Singh was not being "summoned back". "She is scheduled to come back on routine consultation duties scheduled from 10 to 16 February to apprise the government and minister of her on-the-ground assessment … and also to apprise the government here of steps taken by the Australian authorities."

A few hours before it emerged Mrs Singh would return to Delhi, Mr Krishna took the unusual step of comparing the treatment of Indian students in Australia to those in the US.

"There are about 100,000 Indian students … [but] we don't have such complaints from the United States," he said. "Why is it only in Australia that there is attacks?''

On Monday, India's main opposition party, the Hindu nationalist Bharatiya Janata Party, met Mr Krishna to demand a tougher stance towards Australia. ''We told him that steps taken by the government so far have proved to be ineffective," said a BJP leader, Sushma Swaraj.

The Victorian Premier, John Brumby, yesterday attacked sections of the Indian media and government over their portrayal of attacks on Indians.

Mr Brumby's comments came after police alleged an Indian man who had said he was set on fire in an unprovoked attack had burned himself while setting alight his car for a false insurance claim.

as i said just checkout the recent development .. Many indians students opt not to go to for higher studies. Indian govt is the representives of indian peoples not oz 1. .so we can raise eyebrows if sumfing is not right.

as i said just checkout the recent development .. Many indians students opt not to go to for higher studies. Indian govt is the representives of indian peoples not oz 1. .so we can raise eyebrows if sumfing is not right.

The Indians are being systematically targeted in Australia these days.
No they aren't, i have already explained this so many times on these forums. Those attacks that occurred on students, were not racially motivated. The Indian media picked it up and spun it that way just to get a news story. It was just random crime. They weren't being targeted.
Had it been a one off incident then probably
Asian people have crimes committed against them, does that mean they are racially being targeted? No, it's just random crime. White people have crime committed against them, does that mean they are being racially targeted? No, it's just random crime. It's ignorant to think that the only reason these students were bashed and robbed was because they were Indian. It was just random crime, and the Indian media has spun it the wrong way.

Even today,yet another Indian was attacked in Australia.
And more Indians will be attacked, Along with Americans, British, Canadian, Mexican, and every other nationality on earth. It's called crime, it happens anywhere and everywhere.. Claiming random acts of street crime is targeted against just 1 group of people is absurd.

must take some concrete steps to stop these kind of racial crime if it wishes to keep the relations the way it is.
They are not "racial" crimes as stated above and the government, nor police can stop random muggings at 3am in the morning, which most of these crimes were committed. If you choose to walk alone at night at train stations etc, you have a high chance of getting mugged.

---------- Post added at 01:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:09 PM ----------

Well it's no loss to us, Chinese and Pakistani students just take your place.

No they aren't, i have already explained this so many times on these forums. Those attacks that occurred on students, were not racially motivated. The Indian media picked it up and spun it that way just to get a news story. It was just random crime. They weren't being targeted.

Asian people have crimes committed against them, does that mean they are racially being targeted? No, it's just random crime. White people have crime committed against them, does that mean they are being racially targeted? No, it's just random crime. It's ignorant to think that the only reason these students were bashed and robbed was because they were Indian. It was just random crime, and the Indian media has spun it the wrong way.

And more Indians will be attacked, Along with Americans, British, Canadian, Mexican, and every other nationality on earth. It's called crime, it happens anywhere and everywhere.. Claiming random acts of street crime is targeted against just 1 group of people is absurd.

They are not "racial" crimes as stated above and the government, nor police can stop random muggings at 3am in the morning, which most of these crimes were committed. If you choose to walk alone at night at train stations etc, you have a high chance of getting mugged.

Maybe you should read this.
Police knew about racist Indian attacks

Posted January 20, 2010 17:11:00

Simon Overland

Victoria's Chief Police Commissioner, Simon Overland, has revealed police have known for more than two years that crime against Indians was a real issue and some attacks were racially motivated.

The comments come in the wake of the stabbing death of Indian graduate Nitin Gharg in Melbourne's west, and the latest incident in which an Indian taxi driver was assaulted by a passenger at Reservoir last weekend.

Commissioner Overland says a comprehensive police study of the violence shows about 50 per cent of attacks have been carried out on Indians working in the taxi industry and convenience stores, and that Indians were over-represented when it came to robberies, but not assaults.

"We recognised this problem a long time before it hit the public," he said.

"We've known for over two years that there's been this issue; we've been working away at it.

"I have said from day one undoubtedly some of these attacks have a racist motive or there's racist elements to the attacks, there is no question of that - but not all of them."

Commissioner Overland says police have been tackling the problem.

"We've been working at a number of levels: engaging with students trying to help them understand the risks and how they keep themselves safe; working with education providers; working with the rest of the community; we've had stronger enforcement," he said.

He said stronger enforcement had lead to a 7 per cent fall in robberies, with some offenders going before the courts.........

Police knew about racist Indian attacks - ABC Melbourne - Australian Broadcasting Corporation

Well it's no loss to us, Chinese and Pakistani students just take your place.

Not enough Pakistanis to do that & the Chinese have always been there. Whether it is a loss or not for you & Australia is of no real concern to us. You don't seem to know much about Australia-India relations especially about the 1996 nuclear tests & its aftermath. It took a very long time before relations were back to being civil. Every false step hurts the relationship & my own opinion remains that unless Australia shows willingness to sell uranium to India, the relations will just muddle along with no great enthusiasm shown (by India at least) to take it to a higher trajectory.

@x drive .. Listen buddy am not against oz people or their country.. I got 2-3 frnd of mine from NSW working in clipsal u mite heard of it and they are really free,bit rough but gud from heart. All iam concern about is attack on indians ,this must be stop.. Btw do u really want some1 take indians place in australia ? You know what am talking about..

Can we please be on topic. and not bring the issue of attacks on indian students again and again...?

Everything said and done, can't see the Australian defence companies getting contracts from the Indian Government unless they offer top of the line and state of the art equipment, which I don't think these Aussie companies possess or are capable of developing.

Everything said and done, can't see the Australian defence companies getting contracts from the Indian Government unless they offer top of the line and state of the art equipment, which I don't think these Aussie companies possess or are capable of developing.

You don't know what equipment and systems these companies have, so of course you will say "i can't see them getting any contracts"

@xdrive... There is a thing called brains which is needed to develop something state of the art. I don't think Australians have brains.

document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', function () { // Check if the popup has been shown before if (!localStorage.getItem('youtubePopupShown')) { // Replace YOUR_VIDEO_ID with your actual YouTube video ID var youtubeURL = 'https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77WM3ujhvJ4'; // Open the YouTube video in a new popup window var width = 560; var height = 315; var left = (screen.width / 2) - (width / 2); var top = (screen.height / 2) - (height / 2); window.open(youtubeURL, 'YouTubeVideo', `width=${width},height=${height},top=${top},left=${left}`); // Set the flag in localStorage to indicate the popup has been shown localStorage.setItem('youtubePopupShown', 'true'); } });
Back
Top Bottom