What's new

Astra BVR to be Integrated with Tejas aircraft by year end

IND151

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
Back from successful development trails of Astra Missile last month , Sources close to idrw.org have informed that Astra Bvraam will be integrated with Tejas aircraft by year end , but first test firing of the missile from an aircraft will likely take place in mid of this year from Sukhoi Su 30MKI .

The maximum range of Astra is 80 kmin head-on chase and 20 km in tail chase. The missile could be launched from different altitudes – it can cover 80 km when launched from an altitude of 15 km, 44 km when fired from an altitude of eight km and 21 km when the altitude is sea-level . The missile can reportedly undertake 40 g turns close to sea level.

First test was carried out 10 years ago in 2003 but missile was more of a Technology Demonstrator then and many of the technology was yet to be developed . missile has lost lot of weight and new missile sensor had to be developed . Initially missile range was around 40km in head-on chase but advancement in missile Technology over the years and development of the missile enabled it to achieve 80 km in head-on chase , Missile will find its way into Sukhoi Su-30MKI first and later in Tejas MK-1/MK-2, first test firing from Tejas might take place next year after series of in flight testings are carried out of the missile on-board aircraft.

Astra will also will be integrated with Mirage-2000 and Mig-29 in near future after missile hits production line most likely in 2015 . DRDO is also planning of more advance variant of Astra MK-2 with 110-120 km range in near future .

Astra BVR to be Integrated with Tejas aircraft by year end | idrw.org

DRDO should also integrate Astra Bvraam into MMRCA winner....This will reduce our weapon procurment cost for Rafale....

I doubt the kill probability of Astra will be as high as Meteor, which they advertise as a sure kill missile. Rafale should fly with a mix of Meteor and MICA for maximum effect.

as the french have made it clear from the day one Rafale from day one will use the french arsenel heck they use there targeting pods than the universily hit Lightning series and it wont be diff here onli thing that will come owt of this are two

1. A even more Bad PR for DRDO

2.and astra getting the israeli multi seeker in near future ya the ramjet is already in works so it wont be a surprize if its publized range would be much higher miles instaed of Km's

any way both god for us and the pace of progeress on it is unbelevable as per DRDO standards as they have made this project a prestige issue which is good and IAF has a very keen eye on all the developments :cheers:

as the french have made it clear from the day one Rafale from day one will use the french arsenel heck they use there targeting pods than the universily hit Lightning series and it wont be diff here onli thing that will come owt of this are two

1. A even more Bad PR for DRDO

2.and astra getting the israeli multi seeker in near future ya the ramjet is already in works so it wont be a surprize if its publized range would be much higher miles instaed of Km's

any way both god for us and the pace of progeress on it is unbelevable as per DRDO standards as they have made this project a prestige issue which is good and IAF has a very keen eye on all the developments :cheers:

12202_445245428869402_1865563081_a.jpg

Arrey, tum kehna kya chahte ho?

First lets succesfully conduct the test from Tejas :)
I do wonder many a times, why arent we selling defence products to other countries which we have indigenously developed?
I don think we even advertise our products for selling :what:

I doubt the kill probability of Astra will be as high as Meteor, which they advertise as a sure kill missile. Rafale should fly with a mix of Meteor and MICA for maximum effect.
Sir forget about Rafale i think it will be alot better if all our front line fighter jets fly with mix of Meteor and Astra..... mass order of Meteor and Astra will reduce the per unit price of these missiles for us......To be frank at present we have introduced too many types of Bvraam into our arsenal...R77,Mica,Derby,Astra,Meteor{In Future}......

Sir forget about Rafale i think it will be alot better if all our front line fighter jets fly with mix of Meteor and Astra..... mass order of Meteor and Astra will reduce the per unit price of these missiles for us......To be frank at present we have introduced too many types of Bvraam into our arsenal...R77,Mica,Derby,Astra,Meteor{In Future}......

Many IAF fighters including MKI will use Astra in future

But Meteor is expensive so only front line fighters like Rafael and MKI will use it I think.(not sure about MKI but Super MKI may use it).

Mass order of of meteor will bring down the cost but not very much. Plus integrating it with half a dozen types of platforms will be costly. On other hand even if Astra is expensive and faces same problems, money spent on it will go back in Indian economy.

How come Indian news are allowed to disclose military secrets.... that too... before they even materialize?

Sorry to shatter sweet dreams, but It is stupid to integrate a costly weapon, with a failed aircraft project.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom