What's new

Astra air-to-air missile to be launched in March-April

And you are right .

The above ranges are in head-on mode and will significantly reduce in tail-chase mode .
bro,can you let me know. what is head on mode ,and tail chase mode??

bro,can you let me know. what is head on mode ,and tail chase mode??
If a fighter is coming toward you and you fire a missile to hit it it is Head on mode. If a fighter is running away from u and u are chasing it from behind it is tail chase mode.

If a fighter is coming toward you and you fire a missile to hit it it is Head on mode. If a fighter is running away from u and u are chasing it from behind it is tail chase mode.
Thanks mate,Earlier I also thought same thing.Now you clarified it . But why the missile range is getting varied for these 2 modes to hit the target ??

Thanks mate,Earlier I also thought same thing.Now you clarified it . But why the missile range is getting varied for these 2 modes to hit the target ??

Common physics term " Relative speed. ".

Suppose fighter jet is moving with speed mach 1 and AOA missile have speed mach 4. ( tentative speed considered )

So in head on mode relative speed will be = Mach 1 + Mach 4 = Mach 5 ( As they both will be coming toward each other and the distance covered per unit time will be sum of both speed.)

In tail chase mode relative speed will - Mach 4 - Mach 1 = Mach 3 ( As fighter will be trying to run away from the missile.)

Missile have same limited fuel in both modes. This fuel will accelerate missile for specific time, so the range it covers depends upon the relative speed with respect to fighter jet.

Back
Top Bottom