What's new

Assam, Meghalaya aim to boost trade with Bangladesh

We are talking about GDP not gdp per capita of Maharashtra. GDP per capita is applicable for surrounding states of Bangladesh which all has lower than BD’s.
In the 1st paragraph you mentioned GDP per capita so I assumed you are reinforcing that point in the 2nd para as well as you were a bit ambiguous about that. Anyway, why GDP per capita applicable for just the surrounding states? Why not compare with other Indian states as well?

For your info this year BD is projected to overtake India in terms of per capita gdp.
Good for you, but we aren't going to let you guys overtake us so easily.:meeting:

Congratulations on your growth. It is truly commendable. We should learn from your success story as well. Hope your growth continues at the same rate even after coming out of LDC status.
Let us collaborate more for even better development for BD, India and especially NE India.
I know that over past decades, many Indians have looked at BD with superiority complex. Hence, it is a natural phenomenon for our BD friends to now gloat when they are doing well. But lets be careful that this gloating does not result in long-term mistrust between India and BD.
If that happens, then we will never be able to reach our true potential. I am sure neither you nor my fellow countrymen would want that.

Mr. Bilal, all Indian states have their distinct identities. Punjab is distinct, Kerala is distinct, so is Assam, Andhra, Tripura etc. But we are all Indians. So what should we call NE Indians if not 'fellow Indians'?

If my fellow Indians in NE feel that they are being exploited, they will tell us directly. They did not appoint you as their lawyer.

I have no objections on your GDP figures.
Hi, I'm from Tripura so can speak for my people, I can tell you one thing people from Tripura are one of the most patriotic Indians you can find, all people want to be actively included in when people say "fellow indians", it's only few racists incidents here and there that leaves an unpleasant taste when in mainland.
Also I do support greater trade with not only Bangladesh but with all eastern countries. Merger is out of the question though.

Hi, I'm from Tripura so can speak for my people, I can tell you one thing people from Tripura are one of the most patriotic Indians you can find, all people want to be actively included in when people say "fellow indians", it's only few racists incidents here and there that leaves an unpleasant taste when in mainland.
Also I do support greater trade with not only Bangladesh but with all eastern countries. Merger is out of the question though.
Believe me, it's really shameful for us as a whole when we hear about these racial incidents. With time, the awareness is increasing though, it's more about education.

Internet lungis are busy peddling nonsense on PDF. IMF April weo database will burst their bubble real hard about per capita. Indians don't miss the chance to mock the lungis at that time.

In the 1st paragraph you mentioned GDP per capita so I assumed you are reinforcing that point in the 2nd para as well as you were a bit ambiguous about that. Anyway, why GDP per capita applicable for just the surrounding states? Why not compare with other Indian states as well?

Good for you, but we aren't going to let you guys overtake us so easily.:meeting:

Because some shanghis are claiming millions of Bangladeshis are living in surrounding states.

Overall Bangladesh has higher per capita gdp which is projected end of this year.

GDP came as one poster claimed number of states have higher gdp than Bangladesh which is simply not true. End of this fiscal Bangladesh may overtake Maharashtra as a negative growth rate is projected for India.

Because some shanghis are claiming millions of Bangladeshis are living in surrounding states.

Overall Bangladesh has higher per capita gdp which is projected end of this year.

GDP came as one poster claimed number of states have higher gdp than Bangladesh which is simply not true. End of this fiscal Bangladesh may overtake Maharashtra as a negative growth rate is projected for India.
It's not about who's claiming what, it's about facts. Personally, I think there's definitely a migrant problem in some of our Northeastern states, one resident of Tripura himself attested to that in this thread. The below is an article from Kerala which is our Southern state which has many migrants not only from other states, but from Bangladesh as well.

Whenever there are migrants, there's bound to be frictions which is something very natural. It's not something which is just particular about India. You guys too had your fair share of problems when you were East Pakistan and were dealing with West Pakistan and that too when you were one country at that time. Migrants are good, they provide labour and improve the economy but when the number crosses a certain threshold, there are going to be clashes. And that migration can be both intranational and international.

Also, I don't think just considering GDP to decide on any kind of merger is the right way to go here. Why aren't you just happy with the fact that some of our states are boosting trade with your country which will eventually benefit both the countries.
Again, good to see BD performing well, you have benefits of a small country which is ethnically and linguistically homogeneous for the most part. I always believe smaller countries have a greater ability of developing quickly as compared to the bigger countries. You also don't have to deal with hostile neighbors so that's a bonus.

Last edited:
One of the core reasons for the region being poor is because its infested by millions of illegal Bangladeshis draining the resources.

Please don't try to blow smoke up our collective rear ends. Everyone knows that Assam is poor because the center lifts millions of barrels of oil from Assam continually every year without contributing to any industry or jobs in Assam. That is one of the driving demands of separatist groups like ULFA. Assam will remain poor forever if its puppet Sanghi leaders are as corrupt and always cowtow to Sanghi pressure, letting the center loot Assam resources like this without any repercussion.

Is there any statistics to know the utilization of the hydrocarbon and mineral resources of Assam? How much of it are spent within Assam or even the Northeast? Or the illegal Bangladeshis are also draining these mineral resources too?

Bhai we will never find out. The puppet Sanghi leaders in Assam are stealing Assamese resources for the center. They do not represent their electorate.

Not one Indian will have the backbone to stand up and accept the facts are what they are. In PDF what we get are Sanghi bots for Godi Media...they will never admit to exploiting Assam for resources.

Also, what's the per capita income of India and Assam at the moment? I know that Assam's per capita income was quite higher than India's national average at the time independence from the British.

India's collective per capita GDP (not income) is around $2100, which is a little lower than that of ours.

Assam's per capita GDP (not income) is around $1100 (per statista as reported by Assam Govt.) which is half that of ours.

The rest of the seven sister states may fare better or worse depending on their population (which is way low as these are sparsely populated places), but all seven sister NE Indian states are in relatively poor situation (even compared to the rest of India) as far as trade, industrialization and infra.

For the Indian center govt., these seven sisters are a place to sell the FMCG garbage consumable products from the more populated states (especially cow belt & Sanghi states) and to exploit and lift ready resources like oil, which they do in Assam. One-sided exploitation in other words.

It's not about who's claiming what, it's about facts. Personally, I think there's definitely a migrant problem in some of our Northeastern states, one resident of Tripura himself attested to that in this thread. The below is an article from Kerala which is our Southern state which has many migrants not only from other states, but from Bangladesh as well.

Whenever there are migrants, there's bound to be frictions which is something very natural. It's not something which is just particular about India. You guys too had your fair share of problems when you were East Pakistan and were dealing with West Pakistan and that too when you were one country at that time. Migrants are good, they provide labour and improve the economy but when the number crosses a certain threshold, there are going to be clashes. And that migration can be both intranational and international.

Most Indian people cannot tell a Jharkhandi, Bihari, Odissi, West Bengal or local Indian from a Bangladeshi person.

This is laughable and has been proven over and over again. Self-congratulatory stuff for Indians that "Bangladeshi" migrants are invading India.

I am sorry - there is nothing in India (land of milk and honey that it is), that a Bangladeshi will go there for, by risking life and limbs.

Last edited:
Most Indian people cannot tell a Jharkhand, West Bengal or local Indian from a Bangladeshi person.

This is laughable and has been proven over and over again. Self-congratulatory stuff for Indians.

I am sorry - there is nothing in India (toilet-less land of milk and honey that it is), that a Bangladeshi will go there for, by risking life and limbs.
That's gross-overgeneralization.

Also, I don't think just considering GDP to decide on any kind of merger is the right way to go here. Why aren't you just happy with the fact that some of our states are boosting trade with your country which will eventually benefit both the countries.

Again, good to see BD performing well, you have benefits of a small country which is ethnically and linguistically homogeneous for the most part. I always believe smaller countries have a greater ability of developing quickly as compared to the bigger countries. You also don't have to deal with hostile neighbors so that's a bonus.

Did you even read the propaganda piece even before sharing? In the whole article even not in a single place they provided proof these migrants worker are Bangladeshi. Rather mentioned around a quarter of them are from Assam and no direct train exist between Kerala and Assam. Funny explanation given illegal Bangladeshis comes through Assam so train line didn’t started.

These kind of shitty propaganda piece may be good for domestic consumption of the Sanghis. If you really try to find the reality like what BJP did in Karnataka you will be embarrassed like the following news!

The petition stated that people whose makeshift houses were razed down were not Bangladeshi but were from West Bengal, Assam, Karnataka, Bihar, and Uttar Pradesh. The petition said that these people were "extremely poor" and migrated from various districts of Karnataka and other states of the country.

"It appears that the bogey of Bangladeshi is being used to evict the innocent poor," the petition added.
That's gross-overgeneralization.

So what those two link needs to do with what Bilal said? The link I shared and said by Karnataka High Court suggest the same as well.

I am from North East and we don't need Bangladesh's support for our survival or need special autonomy for economic development.

One of the core reasons for the region being poor is because its infested by millions of illegal Bangladeshis draining the resources. Getting them back into Bangladesh is the best thing Bangladesh can do to support.
My dear @Saudang, note that this thread is all about your NE seeking larger trade with BD. However, you are claiming that no need to pursue this. Are you sure you are telling the truth?

Assamese Muslims have been domiciling there since the failed invasion of Ikhtiar Uddin Muhammed Bakhtiar Khilji in around 1205 AD. It is a continuous process and moreover, the rate of increase of the Muslim population is due to polygamy and then producing many more children that your women are not willing to do.

So, please start a movement to force your women to give birth to many children. Assam is a sparsely populated big land. Also, another movement should ban alcoholism for both men and women. They drink and then sleep until daybreak without lovemaking. So, how can the women conceive?
Have you heard that NE states want to develop some trade with BD but central govt is saying No?
The issue is the veto power of Delhi. Delhi people are whimsical. They want to participate in every BD-NE meeting to slow the flow of negotiations.

So, autonomy would be good. Let Delhi tackle the foreign and financial policies and let NE states take their individual trade decision without Delhi interfering in between.

We will make NE fill up with our high-quality goods and in exchange, we will purchase many raw materials from those states. Win-win.

Last edited:
Why a negative comment on something positive?
No, no. I am more positive with my suggestions because I know how the Delhi bureaucrats love to leg-pulling any good efforts made by the states to show their power as if they are the Governors of the states.

Did you even read the propaganda piece even before sharing? In the whole article even not in a single place they provided proof these migrants worker are Bangladeshi. Rather mentioned around a quarter of them are from Assam and no direct train exist between Kerala and Assam. Funny explanation given illegal Bangladeshis comes through Assam so train line didn’t started.

These kind of shitty propaganda piece may be good for domestic consumption of the Sanghis. If you really try to find the reality like what BJP did in Karnataka you will be embarrassed like the following news!

The petition stated that people whose makeshift houses were razed down were not Bangladeshi but were from West Bengal, Assam, Karnataka, Bihar, and Uttar Pradesh. The petition said that these people were "extremely poor" and migrated from various districts of Karnataka and other states of the country.

"It appears that the bogey of Bangladeshi is being used to evict the innocent poor," the petition added.
Believe as you wish but migrants from BD is not some cooked up story that is being peddled just like that. People in the Northeastern regions are actually having problems which are completely valid. I gave an example when you yourselves actually had a conflict with West Pakistan where you got insecure about your people. It's the same thing
I think BD on their part should try to keep their people within their borders, those who enter with proper visas are free to enter, shop, take treatment, buy sarees, enjoy whatever. It also increases people to people contact as well.
But I don't know why you guys are so resentful on an article which symbolizes an increase in trade though.

So what those two link needs to do with what Bilal said? The link I shared and said by Karnataka High Court suggest the same as well.
Well, he mentioned that Bangladeshis have zero interest in India and I pointed out that some of the Bangladeshi citizens come to India for medical treatment and even for shopping.
This is what he said::-)
I am sorry - there is nothing in India (land of milk and honey that it is), that a Bangladeshi will go there for, by risking life and limbs.

Anyway, regardless of what you guys believe in, the issue of migrants is a real problem for us. But the article is not about that so let's not go further on this.

You are living in the fantasy. Take a referendum and you will see the majority in Tripura wants to be with Bangladesh. Tripura people are basically from our land and its Maharani wanted it to be a part of east Pakistan in 1947. Only our Chief Minister Khwaja Nazimuddin did not want that way. He did not give her an audition and she left Dhaka after about one week. Tripura people still want it that way.

So, please be practical!!

[/QUOTE]
Do these people look Assamese to you??
Lungi infestation making Assam poorer..
Also these people talk about per capita GDP...look at the below video and check the difference in infra and people on the Bangladeshi side and Indian side...
No wonder all these lungis cannot wait to get out of their shithole to our NE states

Recent census doesn’t support your claim. Muslim growth of Assam from 1950s is lower than rest of India’s Muslim and its overall population growth as well. Even during 1970-1990 it was comparable with rest of India. In fact Christian and indigenous had far more growth than Muslim.

There might be some Hindu migration which your local leaders encouraged throughout the years.
There is a different reality to the census data and external observations. It is as cheap as 1000 Indian rupees to buy an Indian identity in Assam. So a lot of people who may have got through the NRC listing are not necessarily indian but Bangladeshi immigrants. Western Assam is now Muslim majority.. i am from a place where during my lifetime, indigenous people have become minority in 25 years, and I hv a first hand experience of it.

Back
Top Bottom