What's new

Assad regime buys oil from Daesh: Germany

-SINAN-

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
Turkey
German government has claimed that the Assad regime buys oil from the Daesh terrorist organization, which Damascus had previously designated as its 'enemy'.

German Foreign Ministry deputy spokeswoman Sawsan Chebli told a news conference in Berlin on Tuesday that there was evidence of oil transactions between the Assad regime and Daesh.

When asked about Russian President Vladimir Putin's claim that Turkey was buying oil from Daesh, Chebli said that German authorities have no information supporting these particular claims.

"But what we know for example is that the Assad regime has received large amounts of oil from ISIL. We have evidence; we have indications showing that this is the case," she added, using an alternative acronym for Daesh.

German government spokesman Steffen Seibert also criticized accusations directed at Turkey, saying there was no serious evidence indicating Turkey was tolerating or actively supporting such oil purchases with Daesh.

"We do not see such accusations without any evidence as helpful. We believe that the international community should focus strengthening the fight against ISIL, and refrain from everything that can strengthen ISIL," he stressed.

Following the downing of a Russian warplane that violated Turkey's airspace near the Syrian border on Nov. 24, Russia announced sanctions against Turkey and President Vladimir Putin has baselessly accused the Turkish government of purchasing oil from Daesh.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has challenged Putin and said he will step down if Russian claims that Turkey buys oil from Daesh are proved. He called on Putin to do the same if they are not.

Assad regime buys oil from Daesh: Germany - Daily Sabah

U.S. Says Syria Is Buying Oil From Islamic State
U.S. Treasury Department blacklists Syrian businessman for facilitating transactions

Updated Nov. 25, 2015 2:47 p.m. ET

WASHINGTON—The Obama administration accused Syria’s government of purchasing oil from Islamic State and blacklisted a Syrian-Russian businessman suspected of facilitating those transactions.

The U.S. Treasury Department also penalized Russian and Cypriot businessmen and companies suspected of helping the Syrian central bank evade international sanctions through a web of companies based in Russia, Cyprus and Belize.

Among those blacklisted is Kirsan Ilyumzhinov, a former president of the autonomous Russian Republic of Kalmykia. Mr. Ilyumzhinov is a long-serving president of the World Chess Federation, according to the Treasury Department.

The Treasury’s actions bar U.S. nationals from doing business with the designated entities and freeze any assets they hold in the U.S. financial system.

U.S. officials have long voiced concerns that the regime of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad was strengthening Islamic State’s finances by purchasing oil produced by the militant group on territory that used to be controlled by Damascus. However, Wednesday’s charges are the most explicit and direct accusations by the U.S., and the first time sanctions have been imposed over the regime’s oil trade.

The Treasury Department’s sanctions procedures resemble law-enforcement investigations, in that officials release findings as they compile evidence.

However, the timing of the charges against the Assad regime of buying oil from Islamic State extremists gives U.S. policy makers and allied diplomats new leverage to use against Russia as the West pressures Moscow to distance itself from Damascus. French President François Hollande was due to meet Russian President Vladimir Putin in Moscow on Thursday to discuss recent terror attacks targeting both countries.

On Wednesday, the Treasury accused a Syrian-born businessman, George Haswani, who his a dual Syrian-Russian citizen, of using his firm, HESCO Engineering and Construction Co., for facilitating oil trades between the Assad regime and Islamic State.

The European Union blacklisted Mr. Haswani in March. Mr. Haswani has appealed the EU move. He couldn’t be reached to comment, and his lawyer didn’t return a request to comment.

The U.S. imposed sanctions on Syria’s central bank over a decade ago for its alleged involvement in money laundering. Adib Mayaleh, the governor of Syria’s central bank, was sanctioned in 2012 for allegedly using his job to move funds out of the country.

The Treasury on Wednesday accused Mr. Ilyumzhinov of working closely with the Assad regime’s business associates in Syria and Russia to help the Syrian central bank avoid sanctions. This included the use of Moscow’s Russian Financial Alliance Bank, of which he is a major shareholder.

“Kirsan Ilyumzhinov was designated today for materially assisting and acting for or on behalf of the Government of Syria, Central Bank of Syria” and two central bank officials, the Treasury statement said.

Mr. Ilyumzhinov couldn’t be reached through the Russian Financial Alliance Bank on Wednesday.

An aide to Mr. Ilyumzhinov at the World Chess Federation, reached in Rome, declined to comment.

The Treasury also imposed sanctions on three Cyprus-based companies and a Belizean firm for allegedly assisting the Syrian government in money laundering activities.

“The United States will continue targeting the finances of those enabling Assad to continue inflicting violence on the Syrian people,” the Treasury Department’s acting undersecretary for terrorism and financial intelligence, Adam Szubin, said Wednesday.

U.S. Says Syria Is Buying Oil From Islamic State - WSJ

Im sure this is just western propaganda against AA(Angel Assad).

@Joe Shearer

What you say Joe,could this be true,and if so,who would be supporting ISIS,be it indirectly?

Maybe Assad is buying oil from whoever is willing to supply. But this puts him in a seriously awkward position of financing the very organization he is supposed to be fighting.

Baseless call since it doesn't make any sense... Why would the president of a nation who has lost half his country and his countries oil wells to these rats and loads of his soldiers, buy oil and fund the same extremists who has inflicted such blows to him and his regime... It makes no sense bcz that would be a counter measure. You are making your own enemy strong who has called war upon you and kills you soldiers and has taken you lands and wells. That very same purchase will go against you when you try to tackle them and fight them. That's common sense. Why make your enemy stronger?

And can't Russia and Iran provide some oil. Surely they have provided aid and help and military aid so they can spare a few barrels considering they need their puppet and ally asad over there and considering they want to strengthen his control and defeat Isis for that, why would they allow such an exchange?

If Germany has proof then it needs yo show it to the international community and if the proof is right then this will raise a hundred more questions than it answers...

Seems more like a counter call of Russia's accusation of turkey buying Isis oil.

Seems more like a counter call of Russia's accusation of turkey buying Isis oil.
Erdoğan said that "If Russia proves that Turkey is buying oil from ISIS, i am gonna resign from presidency. I'm asking if Putin can do the same ?".

Kremlin spokesman's answer to Erdoğan's daring..."We don't have to prove anything"....

:meeting:

Erdoğan said that "If Russia proves that Turkey is buying oil from ISIS, i am gonna resign from presidency. I'm asking if Putin can do the same ?".

Kremlin spokesman's answer to Erdoğan's daring..."We don't have to prove anything"....

The funniest part is that the people debunking the German claim have nothing on hand to prove otherwise. Have no proof againot turkey except for putin words. And sure as hell have not an ounce of idea about what's going on on the ground it's self.

If this article is true, the earth is cube. :lol:

Bunch of liars.

Yes if the report had said Isis was selling oil to Turkey then I'm 200% sure you will be saying something totally different yet again. Lol

Anyway, truth is, Isis has sold oil to many countries/players in the region. The Assad regime (which you support because of your Inclination towards Russia) is no different. :)

Baseless call since it doesn't make any sense... Why would the president of a nation who has lost half his country and his countries oil wells to these rats and loads of his soldiers, buy oil and fund the same extremists who has inflicted such blows to him and his regime... It makes no sense bcz that would be a counter measure. You are making your own enemy strong who has called war upon you and kills you soldiers and has taken you lands and wells. That very same purchase will go against you when you try to tackle them and fight them. That's common sense. Why make your enemy stronger?

And can't Russia and Iran provide some oil. Surely they have provided aid and help and military aid so they can spare a few barrels considering they need their puppet and ally asad over there and considering they want to strengthen his control and defeat Isis for that, why would they allow such an exchange?

If Germany has proof then it needs yo show it to the international community and if the proof is right then this will raise a hundred more questions than it answers...

Why do you think Germany will do that? If anything you will expect the U.K ,France and U.S to do such a thing not Germany . Seems to me that you will not believe it even if any country in the world said the same thing. Lol. This conflict is far more complex than what you might think as it being white and black.:)

you think ISIS has some state oil company responsible for dealing with energy industry?

they simply sell oil for cheap to local citizens , those local citizens then transport and sell anywhere they can.

Don't you think this Su24 incident has increased the popularity of Eordgan in Turkey?
He has guts, unlike any one who is opposing him. It's a big plus point......

Don't you think this Su24 incident has increased the popularity of Eordgan in Turkey?
He has guts, unlike any one who is opposing him. It's a big plus point......
Not sure....i think people see the incident as Government had done what it have to do...not some bravery.

If he is so brave, why didn't he engage Israel when they murdered 9 of our citizens in Mavi Marmara incident ?

I thought Assad gets oil from Russia.
U don't think too much. With the speed woth which u are going I am sure ur brain is already half dead. Putting extra pressure on it is just going to make it worse.

Russia has also made baseless claims without providing adequate proof. You can't play a blame game without providing proof. If they have it then they should provide proof and if they don't then they shouldn't make such accusations and same goes for Germany. Russia's response was clear frustration due to the plane downing incident.

:)

Why do you think Germany will do that? If anything you will expect the U.K ,France and U.S to do such a thing not Germany . Seems to me that you will not believe it even if any country in the world said the same thing. Lol. This conflict is far more complex than what you might think as it being white and black.:)

I don't know thus as I said if Germany has proof as it claimed then it needs to bring it to light. Showcase that Assad is the reason why Isis is getting money.

I would believe it when proof is shown to the world. Before then its baseless accusation. The world also said Iraq has WMD but we all know how that turned out so perhaps before accusation a little proof won't be a bad thing to he shown to the world. After all it works very well defames both Assad and Russia and even Iran. This conflict is anything but black and white. Its beyond complex but Assad would have to be the most foolish ruler in the world if he is buying oil from Isis links and not getting russia or Iran to pay some barrels along with the aid. It woukd place russia and Iran second in the stupidity counter.

you think ISIS has some state oil company responsible for dealing with energy industry?

they simply sell oil for cheap to local citizens , those local citizens then transport and sell anywhere they can.

Nope I don't think that at all and I know you blow upbtheir refinery and their oil trade dries up since they do not have any engineers or expertise to build it.

So what you are saying is that Assad regime must buy oil from local citizens and it can't be a barrel. A regime and an army needs loads of oil which means the order must be huge and then that very citizen goes back to Isis buys more oil and sells it to Assad again. That's the process that you are describing right? Then that means that Assad is financing a war against him and his enemies. He would have to be the most foolish ruler in the world to do that. Even if those citizens can sell it to someone else why is Assad buying oil from them. Shouldn't he boycott the source even if its cheap since that customer will use that money to buy more oil to sell to Assad and that money goes to Isis which in turn goes towards killing Iranian Russians and Syrian soldiers. Why is russia allowing this then? Do they want Assad to gain control back in Syria or not? Otherwise this is financing your enemy. I am not saying its impossible but I am saying its unlikely unless proof the Germans spoon of is brought forward which then means that a question must be posed on Assad russia and Iran.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom