What's new

Asia’s Rise Is Rooted in Confucian Values

Confucianism isn't so much a religion as a moral doctrine. It goes well with just about any religion except Catholicism.

It actually is synergistic with Catholicism (a denomination of Christianity).

子曰:“学而时习之,不亦说乎?有朋自远方来,不亦乐乎?人不知而不悦,不亦君子乎?” 《学而》
子曰:“知之者不如好之者,好之者不如乐之者。”《雍也》
子在川上,曰:“逝者如斯夫,不舍昼夜。”《子罕》
子曰:“温故而知新,可以为师矣。”《为政》

Every Chinese will recite a lot of sayings by Confucius in middle school.
We may not like that when we recite them, why must we recite them and write them down from memory in the Chinese examinations? But these sayings and thoughts are deeply rooted in our minds and help shape our ideology and our views of life.

lol I am not even chinese. And I don't know what that is, but I think I heard those before over and over in dramas. Balancing between individuality and community/stability is a must. Morality/worldview dervive from Confucianism is still better than most of the monotheism. I approved of Confucianism because it is after a secular belief.

Buddhism/Taoism/Confucianism - the trio in most eastern asia philosophy (I supposed we can switch Taoism to Shinto when applicable) are way more benign and secular than Christianity.

I recalled reading a blog where a Christian preacher get annoyed because people kept saying Christians murder way too many people in the past. So he did some junky research and said hey look at Yellow Turban Rebellion, see a bunch of Taoist killing people. O____O No...

What's the basic difference between Taoism and Confucianism?

Hard to describe, but they're very different schools of thought. Taoism is more like a syncretism of Chinese folkways, folk religion, philosophy, laws, etc.

my 2 cents...

East Asians bounded by Confucian Values are more into building connections/relationships with others rather than 'egoism', it's the collection of one's roles in relation to others defines one's self identity. how to be a good son/daughter, a good parent, a good husband/wife, a good teacher, a good student, a good leader/emperor, a good employee/servant etc. we are obsessed with the idea of becoming the 'good/successful people' of the family/community and 'appropriate behaviors'.

while the interpretation of Confucian classics can change over time or across EA countries, mobilization of mass ppl from all range of social ladder is easier in EA countries with a sense of social responsibility rooted in Confucianism, which could be viewed as collectivism or discipline from other parts of the world.

my 2 cents...

East Asians bounded by Confucian Values are more into building connections/relationships with others rather than 'egoism', it's the collection of one's roles in relation to others defines one's self identity. how to be a good son/daughter, a good parent, a good husband/wife, a good teacher, a good student, a good leader/emperor, a good employee/servant etc. we are obsessed with the idea of becoming the 'good/successful people' of the family/community and 'appropriate behaviors'.

while the interpretation of Confucian classics can change over time or across EA countries, mobilization of mass ppl from all range of social ladder is easier in EA countries with a sense of social responsibility rooted in Confucianism, which could be viewed as collectivism or discipline from other parts of the world.
Ministry of Culture should give u at least 2 yuan.

What's the basic difference between Taoism and Confucianism?
Chinese society is rooted on a trinity of Confucianism(the fundamental), Taoism(more like an ideology rather than a religion) and Buddhism(localized and mixed with Taoism and Confucianism).

lol I am not even chinese. And I don't know what that is, but I think I heard those before over and over in dramas. Balancing between individuality and community/stability is a must. Morality/worldview dervive from Confucianism is still better than most of the monotheism. I approved of Confucianism because it is after a secular belief.

Buddhism/Taoism/Confucianism - the trio in most eastern asia philosophy (I supposed we can switch Taoism to Shinto when applicable) are way more benign and secular than Christianity.

I recalled reading a blog where a Christian preacher get annoyed because people kept saying Christians murder way too many people in the past. So he did some junky research and said hey look at Yellow Turban Rebellion, see a bunch of Taoist killing people. O____O No...
In Chinese, any religions are below Confucianism. It's the framework of society.
Btw. Liubang? Do u know he was the founder of Han Dynasty. A major appeal during 1911 revolution was to revitalize Han Dynasty and Han identity.

Chinese society is rooted on a trinity of Confucianism(the fundamental), Taoism(more like an ideology rather than a religion) and Buddhism(localized and mixed with Taoism and Confucianism).

Thanks for the info, buddy.

Does your form of Buddhism have any similarity to Tibetan Buddhism or are they completely distinct from each other?

Thanks for the info, buddy.

Does your form of Buddhism have any similarity to Tibetan Buddhism or are they completely distinct from each other?
No, quite different. In Tibet, Buddhism was above all the highest in society. In Han Chinese dominant regions, any religions are below Confucianism and central government. In this case, any religions have to be localized and changed a little. If not, Chinese history has already taught us, emperors would feel threatened and demolished a religion. That's one of the reasons why Chinese government can't get along with the Pope unless he accepts this tradition.

Actually the Chinese don‘t talk much about confucianism because it runs so deep in their blood.Taoism on the other hand is philosophically more appealing to some foreninger or to some chinese like myself,The more passive and inner-focused nature of taoism didn’t make it spread widely to some other asian countries like confucianism did,despite the fact the S-Koreans put a taiji symbol on their flag

Actually the Chinese don‘t talk much about confucianism because it runs so deep in their blood.Taoism on the other hand is philosophically more appealing to some foreninger or to some chinese like myself,The more passive and inner-focused nature of taoism didn’t make it spread widely to some other asian countries like confucianism did,despite the fact the S-Koreans put a taiji symbol on their flag
I personally feel quite confused about their taiji flag.

No, quite different. In Tibet, Buddhism was above all the highest in society. In Han Chinese dominant regions, any religions are below Confucianism and central government. In this case, any religions have to be localized and changed a little. If not, Chinese history has already taught us, emperors would feel threatened and demolished a religion. That's one of the reasons why Chinese government can't get along with the Pope unless he accepts this tradition.

Very informative, thanks buddy.. :)

The world is a big place. A lot of the times, people talk about Christian values, especially nuts like Bill o'Reily, but these Christian values like modesty are not only shared by other non Christians, it's also not the most prevalent in Christians.

On the other hand, this articles deals with capitalism, economic growth with Confusions values, yet we had none of that and still not only made it, but we are still leading the world.

If there's one thing to take away from everything, is that, there is common sense still, and given the same or similar circumstances, we will come to more or less the same conclusion.

It's better to call it human values as that is more accurate.

Back
Top Bottom