What's new

Asia’s Rise Is Rooted in Confucian Values

The first sentence, if a Chinese cannot use it, I won't call him/her a Chinese.
Translation:
Confucius said: "To learn and then practise it time and again is a pleasure, is it not? To have friends come from afar to share each other is a pleasure, is it not? To be unperturbed when not appreciated by others is gentlemanly, is it not?"

The Analects - Chinese Text Project
Analects of Confucius - World's Chinese Wiki
@Azizam
I notice some similarities between Confucian values and codes of conducts in schools back in Sri Lanka. Do you think that there was any influence of Confucianism in South Asia?

I notice some similarities between Confucian values and codes of conducts in schools back in Sri Lanka. Do you think that there was any influence of Confucianism in South Asia?
I think there is something which is universal.
If u mean those sayings I've posted above, they are just sayings. If u mean Confucian values, I don't think so, historically.
Confucianism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
@Azizam

I think there is something which is universal.
If u mean those sayings I've posted above, they are just sayings. If u mean Confucian values, I don't think so, historically.
Confucianism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
@Azizam
You are correct. I think I need some research on the subject. It's very interesting how ancient concepts work well with modern states like China, Singapore, Taiwan etc.

You are correct. I think I need some research on the subject. It's very interesting how ancient concepts work well with modern states like China, Singapore, Taiwan etc.
Even I have to learn more on it.
Confucianism is becoming increasingly popular these years in China. Quite often we have to resort to ancient wisdom to cope with today's problems.

Last edited:
Your avatar is so cute!

Robotics and machinery will offset any changes in population. Mark my words. Manual labor will soon be a thing of the past.
No man would say, "I think your avatar is so cute". Are you a girl or a little homo? Stop saying such things if you're a guy. It makes one want to puke.

No man would say, "I think your avatar is so cute". Are you a girl or a little homo? Stop saying such things if you're a guy. It makes one want to puke.

lol, but it is cute. You don't have to be so serious dude. Take a chill pill.

You'll get hypertension if you're always serious.

@Azizam ,

Geert Hofstede developed the most prominent conceptualisation. Individualism pertains to societies in which the ties between individuals are loose: everyone is expected to look after himself or herself and his or her immediate family. Collectivism as its opposite pertains to societies in which people from birth onwards are integrated into strong, cohesive in-groups, which throughout people’s lifetime continue to protect them in exchange for unquestioning loyalty.

“In collectivist cultures, laws and rights differ by group whereas in individualist cultures laws and rights are supposed to be the same for all. In Sri Lanka there are different laws and rights based on the level of influence one can exercise. This is evident today in the behaviour of politicians, police and to certain extent of the Judiciary as well” (Gunasena, 2014).

In Sri Lanka, by and large there is a collectivist culture. I would say that perhaps Sri Lanka's strong collectivist culture ( a trait common in East Asian cultures) is something that is influenced by Sinhalese Buddhism ? Thervada Buddhism , especially. This is something that deserves further research.

Reference:

Gunasena (2014). Retrieved from: Buddhism, Dhamma, collectivism and individualism | DailyFT - Be Empowered

lol, but it is cute. You don't have to be so serious dude. Take a chill pill.

You'll get hypertension if you're always serious.

@Azizam ,

Geert Hofstede developed the most prominent conceptualisation. Individualism pertains to societies in which the ties between individuals are loose: everyone is expected to look after himself or herself and his or her immediate family. Collectivism as its opposite pertains to societies in which people from birth onwards are integrated into strong, cohesive in-groups, which throughout people’s lifetime continue to protect them in exchange for unquestioning loyalty.

“In collectivist cultures, laws and rights differ by group whereas in individualist cultures laws and rights are supposed to be the same for all. In Sri Lanka there are different laws and rights based on the level of influence one can exercise. This is evident today in the behaviour of politicians, police and to certain extent of the Judiciary as well” (Gunasena, 2014).

In Sri Lanka, by and large there is a collectivist culture. I would say that perhaps Sri Lanka's strong collectivist culture ( a trait common in East Asian cultures) is something that is influenced by Sinhalese Buddhism ? Thervada Buddhism , especially. This is something that deserves further research.

Reference:

Gunasena (2014). Retrieved from: Buddhism, Dhamma, collectivism and individualism | DailyFT - Be Empowered
Don't mind me saying it. But I still find you a bit like a little homo.

East Asian countries though have the same problem that Western countries have: they don't produce children and thus are rapidly ageing. India seems to have a major advantage over China in this regard.
That can be fixed.

Force is outdated. How about a free house for an extra kid?
Free university education for the second child would work too plus government allowance until the kid is 16 years old.

Confucianism isn't so much a religion as a moral doctrine. It goes well with just about any religion except Catholicism.

Well they say that about Buddhism and Hinduism as well, as in they are a way of life.

Is their any concept of God in Confucianism?

Back
Top Bottom