What's new

Asian Men's Basketball Championship: China beats India to meet Iran, Japan to play Philippines

China has the home advantage against Iran. Let's see if they can deliver. China also has the height advantage, but Iranian players are more brutish. Hopefully that'll compensate somewhat.

The game is in 4 hours eh?

I was surprised how damn good Iran is at the 3 major big ball team sports of basketball, football, volleyball. They win on a consistent basis.

Iranians are tough. Tough in sports, tough in military, tough in diplomacy, got an independent foreign policy, just a generally tough and proud country.

I got very high respect for Iran and its people.

That's why I always put Iran as the 3rd country alongside Russia and China that is strong and independent which I respect.

I was surprised how damn good Iran is at the 3 major big ball team sports of basketball, football, volleyball. They win on a consistent basis.

Iranians are tough. Tough in sports, tough in military, tough in diplomacy, got an independent foreign policy, just a generally tough and proud country.

That's why I always put Iran as the 3rd country alongside Russia and China that is strong and independent which I respect.
True, Iranian teams of major balls are really outstanding, one of the best in Asia.

Thanks for the kind words. But I don't think acting like a brat, which is how Iran acts and has been acting for the past 3-4 decades, is productive in the long-term. This is gonna sound cliche and cheesy, but if the Art of War thought me anything, it's that you never act until you're in a position of power. Iranians don't know anything about diplomacy yet. They're starting to learn.

As for sports, it's all about funding. We have a good potential to be a force in every sport in Asia, but until the mid 2000's the attention was never given to anything other than football. In a matter of a few years Iran went from never having achieved anything in volleyball and basketball, to consistently winning gold medals in Asian championships. In basketball Iran has taken gold in 3 out of the 4 previous tournaments. Before 2007 Iran had never even got on the podium lol. Same thing with volleyball.

Got a lot of catching up to do though. China has like 13 gold medals. Iran needs 20 more years of straight gold medals to catch up (win every tournament, which is held every 2 years) haha.

China beats India to meet Iran, Japan to play Philippines

2015-10-02

China overwhelmed India 104-58 on the Chinese National Day to take on defending champion Iran in the Asian Men's Basketball Championship.

Japan and the Philippines also advanced into the semifinals, after beating Qatar and Lebanon respectively on Thursday.

The host side set the tone, outscoring India 27-15 in the first quarter. China's point guard, Zhao Jiwei, was hit by Amritpai with elbow on the face that quarter but he still managed to have seven points and three assists.

The second and third quarter witnessed former NBA player Yi Jianlian shining over the rim with several slam dunks. Although Bhriguvanshi Vishesh had eight straight points for India in the last period, China already built a huge lead of over 40 points and finished it 104-58.

Yi Jianlian poured in 18 of his 21 points in the first half to lead China on the scoreboard, Bhriguvanshi Vishesh had a match high 22.

Iran, which lost to South Korea in the 2014 Asian Games final, beat the old foe 75-62.

Iran led in rebound 44-20 with South Korea dropping their well-known three-pointer skills with a two-out-of-13 behind the arc.

Hamid Ehadadi dominated the paint with 18 points and 14 rebounds.

Now all eyes are on host China.

"Spectators care more about the game against Iran rather than this one since Iran has been Asian champion since 2009," said Chinese head coach Gong Luming. "As a new team, we will have to challenge the best team to be the best in the future."

Japan outscored Qatar every single quarter to book a semifinal ticket Thursday afternoon.

Takatoshi Furukawa helped Japan with a game high 22 points and five rebounds in the 81-67 victory.

Jason William and Former NBA player Andray Blatche contributed 25 and 24 points respectively in the Philippines' 82-70 win over Lebanon.

The Philippines faces Japan in the semifinals.

Watched the game last night live on TW sports channel. It was a nice, easy beating. There were some nice slam-dunks in the first half. The second half was sort of pedestrian.
Congratulations to the Chinese basketball team. It was the better team and NBA has done a lot to polularize and raising the standard of game there.
Hope this happens in India too and the next matches are evenly contested.

Damn, China played really well against India. Lots of show boating going on as well.

I really fear Hadadi is gonna do something retarded and get rejected. The guy has a hard time keeping a cool head and as soon as he faces a strong team he starts losing his cool. Last night he got lucky to stay on the court after he head butted the Korean player. If I was the Chinese coach I'd tell my players to work Haddadi from the first minute.

Thanks for the kind words. But I don't think acting like a brat, which is how Iran acts and has been acting for the past 3-4 decades, is productive in the long-term. This is gonna sound cliche and cheesy, but if the Art of War thought me anything, it's that you never act until you're in a position of power. Iranians don't know anything about diplomacy yet. They're starting to learn.

As for sports, it's all about funding. We have a good potential to be a force in every sport in Asia, but until the mid 2000's the attention was never given to anything other than football. In a matter of a few years Iran went from never having achieved anything in volleyball and basketball, to consistently winning gold medals in Asian championships. In basketball Iran has taken gold in 3 out of the 4 previous tournaments. Before 2007 Iran had never even got on the podium lol. Same thing with volleyball.

Got a lot of catching up to do though. China has like 13 gold medals. Iran needs 20 more years of straight gold medals to catch up (win every tournament, which is held every 2 years) haha.
Basketball is not just about funding, u have to have a huge base of basketball players, not just professional but ordinary fans. A lot of top basketball players are found in college league or even high school teams.

In my college, there are four compulsory semesters of PE classes. I chose football, tennis, basketball and table tennis.

Basketball is not just about funding, u have to have a huge base of basketball players, not just professional but ordinary fans. A lot of top basketball players are found in college league or even high school teams.
Growing up in Iran, I was 12 when we left in 2000, I never even saw a basketball hoop anywhere. There were indoor courts I guess, but not like what I see here in Canada, where you have hoops in every other home and in every school yard etc... Everything was always about football, football and more football. I guess things have changed in the past 15 years.

Iran and China both under-perform in football when we look at the amount of love the public has for the game. I guess people are starting to show more love to other sports. In the past, Azadi stadium was always packed with 100,000 Iranians every time the national team played. Now it's more like 30-40k. The league is in an even worse shape when it comes to bleeding spectators.

Growing up in Iran, I was 12 when we left in 2000, I never even saw a basketball hoop anywhere. There were indoor courts I guess, but not like what I see here in Canada, where you have hoops in every other home and in every school yard etc... Everything was always about football, football and more football. I guess things have changed in the past 15 years.

Iran and China both under-perform in football when we look at the amount of love the public has for the game. I guess people are starting to show more love to other sports. In the past, Azadi stadium was always packed with 100,000 Iranians every time the national team played. Now it's more like 30-40k. The league is in an even worse shape when it comes to bleeding spectators.
Basketball is played more in China, it requires less land. Some self-claimed football fans in China never touch a football but it is a popular sport without doubt.

In China a lot of communities have basketball fields and some people even have ping pong tables at home.

If u travel in China you will find an interesting phenomenon, aunties and grandmas are dancing outside at night EVERYWHERE, called plaza dance.

The city where I was traveling yesterday
ImageUploadedByDefence.pk1443774906.983396.jpg

ImageUploadedByDefence.pk1443774940.616089.jpg

It is a one side affair. In the past decade, China's men basketball have been a dismal.

Can anyone post a YouTube video
Lol guyzz this is the best video to describe can India play basketball?
Especially for Chinese. Look at the faces of the Chinese players after the match. :rofl:
This video tells you the what Indian players can do without even having a single player in NBA at that time unlike Chinese players which were drafted.
Don't worry you will be taken for a ride the next year.

PS- For Chinese people not to see the video because you will get serious heart burn.
And the icing on the cake about the video is that Indian team did them on Chinese home turf.
Wow what an embarrassment.

Can Indian players play basketball' eh. :drag:
@TaiShang @AndrewJin @Beast @Beidou2020

Last edited:
That was a disappointing game. China was deadly in their 3 pointers. I didn't expect us to lose like this, although I did think we'd lose in the end.

We really need to figure out a way to have better shooters. Free throws and 3 pointers are our downfall. If we had converted 3 out of the 7 three-pointers in the first half, the result might have been different.

And this is where I sign off from basketball. See you in 2 years haha (that's the attitude of most Iranians towards basketball unfortunately lol).

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom