What's new

Asian Men's Basketball Championship: China beats India to meet Iran, Japan to play Philippines

TaiShang

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
China
China beats India to meet Iran, Japan to play Philippines

2015-10-02

China overwhelmed India 104-58 on the Chinese National Day to take on defending champion Iran in the Asian Men's Basketball Championship.

Japan and the Philippines also advanced into the semifinals, after beating Qatar and Lebanon respectively on Thursday.

The host side set the tone, outscoring India 27-15 in the first quarter. China's point guard, Zhao Jiwei, was hit by Amritpai with elbow on the face that quarter but he still managed to have seven points and three assists.

The second and third quarter witnessed former NBA player Yi Jianlian shining over the rim with several slam dunks. Although Bhriguvanshi Vishesh had eight straight points for India in the last period, China already built a huge lead of over 40 points and finished it 104-58.

Yi Jianlian poured in 18 of his 21 points in the first half to lead China on the scoreboard, Bhriguvanshi Vishesh had a match high 22.

Iran, which lost to South Korea in the 2014 Asian Games final, beat the old foe 75-62.

Iran led in rebound 44-20 with South Korea dropping their well-known three-pointer skills with a two-out-of-13 behind the arc.

Hamid Ehadadi dominated the paint with 18 points and 14 rebounds.

Now all eyes are on host China.

"Spectators care more about the game against Iran rather than this one since Iran has been Asian champion since 2009," said Chinese head coach Gong Luming. "As a new team, we will have to challenge the best team to be the best in the future."

Japan outscored Qatar every single quarter to book a semifinal ticket Thursday afternoon.

Takatoshi Furukawa helped Japan with a game high 22 points and five rebounds in the 81-67 victory.

Jason William and Former NBA player Andray Blatche contributed 25 and 24 points respectively in the Philippines' 82-70 win over Lebanon.

The Philippines faces Japan in the semifinals.

Watched the game last night live on TW sports channel. It was a nice, easy beating. There were some nice slam-dunks in the first half. The second half was sort of pedestrian.

Last edited:
lol thats exactly what i was thinking :)

Not really in India there is little support for sports so that is why you saw what you saw on TV. But Best of luck for China for there next match.
General Indians don't play basketball?
We enjoy all kinds of sports here.

General Indians don't play basketball?
We enjoy all kinds of sports here.

Nope since most families are middle class the encouragement is only for studies and sports is neglected. People do play all sports but only as a hobby.

The national teams lack support (sponsors) and infrastructure.

Nope since most families are middle class the encouragement is only for studies and sports is neglected. People do play all sports but only as a hobby.

The national teams lack support (sponsors) and infrastructure.
Sports have nothing to do with middle class or not! And middle class in India is a very small proportion. If u are good at basketball and stand out in college, they will recruit u.

I don't think they rule the sport they play very often.
Well,that is a different matter.Indians play a game that only Britain and it's former colonies play-less than a dozen countries and they still suck at it.Even the interest in that sport was aroused by the world cup victory of 1983.Before that it was usually an affair of elites who still had a colonial hangover.

Generally Indians lag behind in sports for one reasons all said and done and I am going to be soft about it-

Indians just suck at physical exertion and hence sports.Must be the unhealthy ,over fried,overspiced diet and the resultant malnutrition and host of complications at work.

Sports have nothing to do with middle class or not! And middle class in India is a very small proportion. If u are good at basketball and stand out in college, they will recruit u.

In fact, in my opinion, the larger the middle class, the bigger interest in team sports that require certain facilities.

India, on the other hand, is not known for its middle class considering several hundred million nowhere near being middle class.

In fact, in my opinion, the larger the middle class, the bigger interest in team sports that require certain facilities.

India, on the other hand, is not known for its middle class considering several hundred million nowhere near being middle class.
Hope the Beijing Winter Olympics can make Chinese love winter sports more. I see curling is quite popular now especially in Northeast China. More and more people are into skiing and skating, but we definitely need more indoor winter sports stadium in Southern China. A lot of kids are playing ice hockey in my city in Central China. The last trend of sports in my city was tennis when Li Na from Wuhan won the French Open. Currently, tennis is still popular of course and I find archery clubs are everywhere.

I really like to learn to play curling, local indoor stadiums should provide more options of winter sports!

Last edited:
China has the home advantage against Iran. Let's see if they can deliver. China also has the height advantage, but Iranian players are more brutish. Hopefully that'll compensate somewhat.

The game is in 4 hours eh?

China has the home advantage against Iran. Let's see if they can deliver. China also has the height advantage, but Iranian players are more brutish. Hopefully that'll compensate somewhat.

The game is in 4 hours eh?

Waiting for the game :)

No matter what the result is, it will be a nice game to watch. I also anticipate a more physical game than the one China played with India.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom