What's new

Ashes of Sino-Indian war stay warm

aanshu001

Reaction score
Half a century has gone by since a border war between China and India broke out in the eastern Himalayas on October 20, 1962. Memories of that war linger not only at the Indian national policymaking level but also in local discourses in northeast India, given the Indian defeat at the hands of China in 1962. The border issue remains disputed.

Indian policy makers remain deeply concerned about the 1,080-kilometer disputed China-India border in the eastern Himalayas. Indian concern has grown in recent years as China has become

more aggressive on its territorial claim on the Indian border state of Arunachal Pradesh. To be noted in this regard is the fact that China claims 90,000 square kilometers of territory in India’s eastern sector from the disputed McMahon boundary onwards, which includes the entire state of Arunachal Pradesh.

The Chinese base their territorial claim on the argument that these areas had been historically administered by Tibet. Hence the Chinese logic is that since Tibet is now a part of China, so is Arunachal Pradesh. In February this year, Chinese foreign ministry spokesperson Hong Lei objected strongly to the Indian defense minister’s visit to Arunachal Pradesh by stating that India should refrain from activities that could disrupt the peace in the border areas.

Similar Chinese objections to visits by Indian policymakers to Arunachal Pradesh have been routine. In 2009, China objected to the Indian prime minister’s visit to Arunachal Pradesh. That same year, for the first time ever in a multilateral body, China sought to block Asian Development Bank loans to India earmarked for projects in Arunachal Pradesh.

The aggressive Chinese posture in India’s eastern sector has led to increasing militarization of the region. In 2010, China replaced its old liquid-fueled, nuclear-capable CSS-3 intermediate range ballistic missile with more-advanced CSS-5 MRBMs and has vastly improved its border roads in the eastern sector bordering India, which will considerably enhance movement by the People’s Liberation Army (PLA).

Intercontinental missiles such as the DF-31 and DF-31A have also been deployed by China at Delingha, north of Tibet. On the border with India, China has deployed 13 Border Defense Regiments totaling around 300,000 troops. Airfields have been established at Hoping, Pangta and Kong Ka, which are in addition to the existing six airfields in the Tibetan Autonomous Region, for supporting fighter aircraft and enhance the PLA’s airlift capability.

China plans to deploy its fifth-generation fighter aircraft, the J-20 in this region, once the radar-evading stealth fighter jet gets operational by 2018. Six divisions of China’s Rapid Reaction Forces (RRF) are stationed at Chengdu with 24-hour operational readiness and supported by an airlift capability to transport the troops to the India-China border within 48 hours.

This is a comparative Chinese advantage vis-a-vis India given that air-lifting of troops to the Indian side of the border has proved hazardous due to the high lifts across the Himalayas and the lack of all-weather airlift capabilities on the Indian side. While 120, 000 Indian troops of the IV Corps guard the entry in Tezpur to the plains of Assam from the high mountains across Arunachal Pradesh, their movement to the eastern border in military convoys is slowed down due to bad roads conditions.

Ironically, the strategies of both India and China in this long-standing border dispute are a mirror image of the other. Both countries are building up their defense infrastructure and modernizing their armed forces as a response to the other’s threat to their territory. While India is actively responding to the Chinese threat to Arunachal Pradesh, China is responding to the perceived Indian threat to Tibet given the presence of the Dalai Lama and the Tibetan government-in-exile in India.

Significantly, the two countries signed a framework agreement to hold talks on the border issue in 2005. The “Special Representatives” on the boundary question continue to consult and dialogue on a final resolution mechanism.

Despite this, China’s aggressive posture on Arunachal Pradesh continues; and India “mirror images” China in its response by militarizing its side of the border as well. For instance, India has upgraded its military presence in the eastern sector by its decision in 2011 to deploy the 290-km-range Brahmos supersonic cruise missile in order to strengthen its defense posture vis-a-vis China there. A five-year expansion plan to induct 90,000 more troops and deploy four more divisions in the eastern sector is also underway.

Already, as stated earlier, there are 120,000 Indian troops stationed in the eastern sector, supported by two Sukhoi 30 MKI squadrons from Tezpur in Assam. Two more MKI Sukhoi 30 squadrons are in the process of being inducted into the airforce structure in the eastern sector. Two bases for the Medium Multi Role Fighter Aircraft (MMRCA), otherwise known as the French Rafale, will be established in the Eastern Air Command at Panagarh. This will be buttressed by advanced Radars and air defense systems.

In the later part of this year, the Indian Air Force will get its first indigenously built “network centric all weather air defense weapon system”, called Akash, with the capability to shoot down fighter aircraft, cruise missiles, and unmanned aerial vehicles up to a distance of 30 km. Based on mobile radar guidance, the Akash system can detect and identify an aircraft or a missile 120 km away from target. The Akash will be based in the Eastern Air Command, when inducted.

India plans to develop its version of fifth-generation stealth fighter aircraft in collaboration with Russia. Known as the Perspective Multirole Fighter in Russia, the Indian version of the plane will be developed by Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd in collaboration with Russia’s United Aircraft Corporation.

Given this overt militarization of the China-India border conflict, any escalation in the conflict dynamics there will have a direct bearing on the regional strategic stability of Asia. This is even more plausible in the present context as China and India emerge as two of the largest military hardware-importing countries in the world.

India, historically averse to militarizing its foreign policy, is rapidly modernizing its armed forces with plans of owning aircraft carriers, thousands of fighter aircraft, and a super-specialized armed force within the time span of 2012-2025. There is also an increasing domestic focus on developing India’s own indigenous arms industry. Ostensibly, this Indian military modernization is based on a threat perception from a superior force in the region.

With that kind of air and naval military modernization, India could plausibly work on a worst-case scenario where in order to dissuade Chinese aggression on its eastern border its navy escalates its military posture in the Indian Ocean.

There is already policy talk within India’s strategic community to establish an “Indian Ocean Naval Command” in the Andaman and Nicobar islands in order to strengthen India’s naval presence in the Indian Ocean region. To boost its anti-ship missile system, India has test-fired the nuclear-capable Dhanush, which is the naval version of the Prithvi short-range ballistic missile with a strike range of 350 km. the Indian Navy has also test-fired the 290-km Brahmos supersonic cruise missile, capable of carrying a 300 kg conventional warhead from the guided missile frigate INS Teg, the Indian Navy’s latest stealth warship.

With this kind of overt militarization by the two most significant powers of Asia, the border dispute in the eastern Indian sector will emerge as a flashpoint impacting relations in other regional theaters where both countries enjoy increasing influence, namely South and Southeast Asia, the Indian Ocean Region and East Asia.

Therefore, there is an urgent need to create institutional conflict management frameworks that can deal with misperceptions on the China-India border. Both countries need to seriously consider the other’s vulnerability in the region: China to consider that its aggressive rhetoric in the eastern sector is creating an enormous threat for India in that region; India to consider that China suffers from deep-seated vulnerabilities in Tibet given the continuous questioning of its legitimacy there.

This “Tibetan vulnerability” makes China wary of perceived Indian designs on Tibet from the Indian side of the border, where there is a strong Tibetan Buddhist culture and has seen trips by the Dalai Lama to the Tawang monastery in Arunachal Pradesh.

These difficult issues need to be addressed in China-India border dialogue mechanisms. Otherwise, the issue and the related Chinese territorial claim will continue to remain conflict prone and will be a flashpoint between two of Asia’s nuclear-armed states.

Dr Namrata Goswami is a Senior Fellow at the United States Institute of Peace (USIP), Washington, D.C. She can be reached at ngoswami@usip.org. The views expressed in this article are solely that of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of the USIP, which does not advocate specific policy positions.

Link: Ashes of Sino-Indian war stay warm | idrw.org

That was a conflict without Navy and airforce.

BTW ashes of Sino-Japan, Sino-Taiwan, Sino-Russian, Sino-Vietnam, Sino-Philipines are warmer. Also think about Sino-American war. China don't like to have a good neighborly relation with any one.

yay, let's reignite the cinders and turn it into an conflagration that devours all of india!

please change your flag !!! bangladeshi !!!

if i were bangladeshi and wanted to attack india, why would i need to hide behind my chinese flag? i would be equally proud displaying bangladeshi flag and flog your indians in the same fashion i do now. unless you are suggesting chinese never wished ill upon indians before i came here, in which case i suggest you have your eyesight or your head examined.

admit it: all your major neighbors resent you hindus equally.

if i were bangladeshi and wanted to attack india, why would i need to hide behind my chinese flag? i would be equally proud displaying bangladeshi flag and flog your indians in the same fashion i do now. unless you are suggesting chinese never wished ill upon indians before i came here, in which case i suggest you have your eyesight or your head examined.

Because you are coward. Its very difficult for hate monger like you to spit hatred under your true flag. Shame!

admit it: all your major neighbors resent you hindus equally.

Major means, Pakistan and China? :lol: Those majors are hated by all the neighbors of them.

Because you are coward. Its very difficult for hate monger like you to spit hatred under your true flag. Shame!

china pisses on the head of india and you guys dared only to pick bangladesh because the latter is smaller in size and the former far mightier than india - so who is the coward again? i propagate political hatred openly against turkics, jews, saudis, yindoos, viets, deibazi, bonzi, nipponzi, anglo-saxons, and i do so openly: there is cold, hard political reality operating under the simmering hatred and no flag can disguise the political reality and its, forceful transparent logic.

it is really extreme manifestation of cowardice and yindoonese whereby an indian tries to put out the anger on a weaker neighbor and bully him when iin fact the yindoo freshly received a slap to the face from a chinese

That was a conflict without Navy and airforce.

BTW ashes of Sino-Japan, Sino-Taiwan, Sino-Russian, Sino-Vietnam, Sino-Philipines are warmer. Also think about Sino-American war. China don't like to have a good neighborly relation with any one.

What you Indians are good at....beside dragging other nations into china india issue?? yeah let talk about your so call modern Navy and airfroce...what you can do to China LMAO.:rolleyes:

We already proved USA support to Philippines is illusory. Then we proved USA support to Japan is illusory. Now it's time to smash india.

The author thinks india can undermine Chinese control of Tibet but in fact our airstrikes on new delhi will end the war quickly and decisively. Then we take back Andaman & Nicobar Islands!

We already proved USA support to Philippines is illusory. Then we proved USA support to Japan is illusory. Now it's time to smash india.

The author thinks india can undermine Chinese control of Tibet but in fact our airstrikes on new delhi will end the war quickly and decisively. Then we take back Andaman & Nicobar Islands!

i actually had to baidu these names to know what/where these islands are, but what the heck: if they can be indian, then surely they can be chinese - and will be much, much better served being chinese than being indian, hahahhaha

well, we can say the same for everything indian, in fact, from every baby born to every brick made there - better chinese than indian...

china pisses on the head of india and you guys dared only to pick bangladesh because the latter is smaller in size and the former far mightier than india - so who is the coward again? i propagate political hatred openly against turkics, jews, saudis, yindoos, viets, deibazi, bonzi, nipponzi, anglo-saxons, and i do so openly: there is cold, hard political reality operating under the simmering hatred and no flag can disguise the political reality and its, forceful transparent logic.

it is really extreme manifestation of cowardice and yindoonese whereby an indian tries to put out the anger on a weaker neighbor and bully him when iin fact the yindoo freshly received a slap to the face from a chinese

Hatred against anglo-saxons and still having a UK flag hahaha why dont you remove the UK flag and return to china if you are in the UK?

lol...you have been playing too many online games! China cant do jack! I mean India still administers AP and has done so for such a long time. Its typical communist BS that you have been fed. That's right google must be censored in your place so how can you hear the other side of the argument! China lives and thrives on cheap stuff, theft of IP and so on. Theft from the Russians, Americans and all others. I am yet to see a chinese innovation! I am specifically talking about PRC and not ancient china

i actually had to baidu these names to know what/where these islands are, but what the heck: if they can be indian, then surely they can be chinese - and will be much, much better served being chinese than being indian, hahahhaha

well, we can say the same for everything indian, in fact, from every baby born to every brick made there - better chinese than indian...

Lol...you must be smoking some real good ****! ;p. Talk about hallucinating!

Only a small country will drag and chest beat about 50 years old war.... On PDF its all about war and hatred.... You people dont even believe the law of universe. Hate each other and get hatred.... Always bragging about war war war and war.... What if you loose ur family members in war? Would you enjoy that? Easy to say war but being in one is hell....

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom