What's new

Arunachal CM Dead - Confirmed

t1larg.khandu.afp.gi.jpg

dorjee-khandu.jpg

China help sought in copter rescue

Itanagar, May 3: With four days of search for the missing Pawan Hans chopper with Arunachal Pradesh chief minister Dorjee Khandu and four others on board drawing a blank, a section of apparently agitated groups and individuals today went to the extent of suggesting that the Centre seek China’s help as it was a “matter of life and death”.

Among those to have sought Chinese help was Takam Tatung, the president of the influential All Arunachal Pradesh Students’ Union. “Now that our technology and effort so far have failed, we should seek Chinese help as a neighbour to locate the chief minister and the others with him. The Centre should also paradrop troops in the shortlisted locations,” Tatung said.

Fear of the possibility of having lost a man whom local residents described as “very amiable and helpful” is giving way to anger, feel those tracking the developments since the disappearance of the chopper soon after taking off from Tawang with five persons on board on Saturday morning.

China and Arunachal Pradesh share a 1,080-km border with the former claiming the frontier state as its own. China and India even fought a bitter war in 1962 and still bicker over the frontier state.

Even a member of the ruling Congress made similar demand, summing up the mood among the locals. “We are not blaming the Centre but isn’t it shameful that we have not been able to locate the chopper and our beloved chief minister even after four days? Since it is a matter of life and death, we do not see why we cannot seek help from other countries, including China. It is about time,” Likha Maj, a member of Arunachal PCC, said.

The chairperson of Arunachal Citizens’ Rights, Maj. Bamang Tago, said the government should have a mountain corps given its knowledge of the state’s topography and geography.

“India claims to be prepared to face any eventuality in this sensitive frontier state but that has not been reflected in this case. Simply blaming the weather and terrain will not help matters. Will India say the same thing if China attacks us? If we cannot locate a chief minister, what will be the fate of the common man?” he said.

The Arunachal Pradesh Christian Forum also insisted that India take China’s assistance “Personally, I do not see any harm in seeking help from any country, including China, in such situations. Nothing wrong, we will support it,” said Toko Teki, the general secretary of the forum.

Central and state leaders monitoring the search and rescue operations, however, subtly shot down the suggestions during the media briefing this evening. These are emotional outbursts, one of them said.

Union minister of state for parliamentary affairs V. Narayansami said, “This was thought of but the crisis management group ruled it out. The central government has accorded utmost attention to the search operations,” he said. PCC president Nabam Tuki, said: “We are on the job. We have not failed.”

The Telegraph - Calcutta (Kolkata) | Northeast | China help sought in copter rescue

wake up india stop making excuses and blaming the weather

A worth to read Article. Salute to great Man!

'We'll defeat any Chinese design to capture our land'

Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister Dorjee Khandu , who died in a helicopter crash on April 30, had spoken to rediff.com in 2007 on the Chinese claims over parts of the state and news of incursion by the Chinese army. We reproduce that interview.

With India reiterating that China illegally claims approximately 90,000 square kilometres of Indian territory in Arunachal Pradesh and 38,000 km in Jammu and Kashmir, a strange game of statements regarding the Chinese intrusion in the northeastern state is on.

Though officials in Beijing and New Delhi have denied the intrusion, people remember the bloody war in the same region in 1962. In later years though, negotiations on boundary disputes have been initiated between India and China, while engaging each other in trade and cultural exchanges quite vigorously.

The sudden eruption of the territorial dispute has revived bitter memories. It is noteworthy that on September 7, 1993, an accord to reduce tensions along the India-China border and to respect the Line of Actual Control was signed.

The National Democratic Alliance's defence minister George Fernandes had accused China of repeated violations of Indian territory, constructing a helipad on Indian territory in the disputed zone, aiding Pakistan's nuclear and missile programmes and stockpiling nuclear weapons in Tibet. With this background the present controversy assumes significance.

Tarun Vijay spoke to Dorjee Khandu, Arunachal Pradesh's chief minister, at length about the controversy.

What is the truth about the allegation that the Chinese have intruded onto our land?

Independent MLA Lokam Tassar and BJP (Bharatiya Janata Party [ MP Kiran Rijiju had alleged that the Chinese have intruded up to 20 km in Arunachal territory. I immediately enquired about its veracity from the chief secretary, SIB (Special Intelligence Bureau), ITBP (Indo-Tibetan Border Police), and the army authorities. The statements of both were found to be false and misleading.

Later, an emergency meeting of the concerned top officials was held in Itanagar. They also re-confirmed that no such intrusion has taken place.

It was found that Kiran Rijiju had based his statement on the 1986 intrusion across the LAC (Line of Actual Control) by the Chinese in which they had taken a large chunk of our land in Tawang area occupying the Sumdorong Chu valley, Asapila and Lungur camps. These places fall in my constituency.

Did the Government of India accept the 1986 intrusion and the resultant occupation of our territory?

They had to. The Chinese had taken our land.

The Government of India accepted that and did nothing?

The Chinese took our posts, the government had to accept that. But there is no intrusion now.

What can be the reason that suddenly allegations about the Chinese intrusion have been made?

I can't say. It is not good. As far as the BJP MP's statement is concerned, it seems like a political ploy. How can he claim to know something, which is not in the knowledge of the defence authorities or the home minister?

His statement is a matter of political rivalry and nothing else. He was in Delhi for a long period, he couldn't have ascertained the facts himself, so it seems he gave his statement on the basis of what Lokam Tassar said.

Strange things are happening in Arunachal. The whole cabinet recently shifted its loyalties to you?

It happened due to the allegations of huge corruption charges against the former government. There were a number of cases regarding mismanagement in the Public Distribution System. People in the villages were not getting enough food allotted by the Centre. Cooperative rural banking scams affected small depositors like labourers and teachers. The hydel power sector was also in doldrums.

Hence, the MLAs were unhappy and chose me as their leader. (Congress president) Soniaji (Gandhi) is completely against corruption and wanted a clean and result oriented Congress government. I was reluctant to shoulder this responsibility, but when all insisted I had to accept it.

After taking the oath, when I sat in my office, one chief engineer came and handed a file to me, pleading to clear it immediately. When I opened the file, it contained five lakh rupees in cash. I was shocked. It must have been a routine matter for such officers to present money to the new CM or minister.

I deposited the money with the treasury and had the officer arrested. This is the situation, which we are determined to change.

What have you done so far?

My first priority is to improve the Public Distribution System. If people in the border areas are deprived of the basic requirements, it can create an unseemly situation.

Security in the border areas depends on the common people's commitment and patriotism.

We the Arunachalis are patriotic to the core, children of Bharat Mata, and shall defeat any Chinese design to capture our land. But corrupt governance destroys trust and breeds unpatriotic elements.

I came to Delhi and met the prime minister and several other ministers. I have revived the PDS and got instant clearance from the prime minister regarding the rates for PDS and the Food Corporation of India's contractors. It will help immensely.

Secondly, I shall also revive rural banking, which collapsed under a Rs 200 crore scam. All the small investors lost their hard earned savings. It is my duty to ensure that they get back their money. I am also formulating a new industrial policy to attract entrepreneurs from all over India.

Arunachal is immensely gifted with rich natural resources; we have not been able to use them properly for the benefit of the state's development and people's welfare.

We also have the capacity to generate 60,000 megawatts of power. The National Thermal Power Corporation, the National Hydroelectric Power Corporation and private agencies are being involved to generate power at the optimum level.

With Soniaji's blessings we have also started a mid day meal scheme for poor tribal students. We are also changing the educational employment policy, which binds us to recruit only 20 percent people from outside the state. We would like to have more qualified people from other areas too so that the level of teaching is improved.

We are also involving village elders in monitoring the work of teachers. Salaries will be released only after receiving letters from the elders that the teachers have done their jobs well.

What about preserving indigenous culture and values? There have been reports of conversions to Christianity of late.

We want indigenous traditions to be preserved and maintained. This is thousands of years old. Some Arunachalis are Buddhists like me; some belong to Dony Polo and other streams. Now we have decided to ensure that in every cultural festival, the government would encourage celebrations.

Instead of having politicians or ministers preside over such a function, a local village elder, who knows ancient wisdom, the history of the area and can also transfer that to the people, would be requested to chair the event, so that the traditional flow of knowledge and continuity in culture is honoured.

What Dorjee Khandu told rediff.com in 2007 - Rediff.com India News

Very sad news. We lost one honest person. Now a days very difficult to find.

Fcuk ISRO, Instead of giving wrong location they should have said not detectable. Center should stop funding and punish the idiot who gave the wrong info.

i dont like FOX but whatever chance he may had diminished as time went by before a search and rescue could find the CM. Anyone in the medical field like myself can and will tell you that the chances for survival depend on how quickly medical attention can be attained. I don;t agree with Goebbels on many, many issues as he likes to troll but I will give this statement. We should change the way we follow CM's travel plans....there should be contingency plans in place and well equipped medical professionals ready to fly out in a moments notice. There should be a system in place to be able to track crashes more efficiently. At least we should try. Damn I feel sad because we really failed this fellow. He was one of the best in a land where few politicians are actually capable. Hs experience and insight was invaluable to India. its a damn shame. I know and other posters on this forum how capable this fellow was. He was hawk but he the damn credentials to back himself up. Damn shame...why cant Mayawati, Laloo and his wife die? There were multiple failures that need to be addressed...again we are reactive not proactive.....it is damn shame we had to loose one of best and brightest..

Latest posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom