What's new

Artillery and Counterinsurgency: The Soviet Experience in Afghanistan

Personally I now believe that our approach of 'Jang and Jirga' offers us a far better opportunity of success than NATO, because Pakistan is not the 'outsider' in FATA, and can, to some extent, replace the lack of military manpower with support from the Tribes against Taliban. Support from the Tribes can also be a far better source for intel than UAV's and the like

I would offer a caveat - The American - Our success, in Pakistan, must have salience in Afghanistan -- Really, this whole thing in Pakistan is about just that.

Pakistan are in a really tight spot, without Russia, China and without diplomatic effort in the EU which may bring into question the European effort in Afghanistan, the US has little incentive to rethink, indeed; we note increasing coordination between US, Indian and a middle eastern intelligence agency in Afghanistan.

I would offer a caveat - The American - Our success, in Pakistan, must have salience in Afghanistan -- Really, this whole thing in Pakistan is about just that.

Pakistan are in a really tight spot, without Russia, China and without diplomatic effort in the EU which may bring into question the European effort in Afghanistan, the US has little incentive to rethink, indeed; we note increasing coordination between US, Indian and a middle eastern intelligence agency in Afghanistan.

In terms of a comprehensive long lasting solution to the conflict, I completely agree. This leads us back to the point made earlier - that their has been either a deliberate or flawed approach to Afghanistan by the US that leaves out important questions regarding the interests and concerns of neighboring nations.

My comments were specifically with regards to the military actions Pakistan has to take to reassert its writ, but as you pointed out, FATA cannot be isolated from what occurs in Afghanistan, and vice versa.

Are you referring to the Iranians?

AM

I was refering to Pakistan's long term interests in Afghanistan as Pakistan see them - these, the US insists, are to be what the US wants them to be, that is to say, fundamentally change and accept that Pakistan have practically speaking, no interests in Afghanistan other than the support of the policy of the US and it's strategic allies in South Asia.

I meant Israel, not Iran.

Salamz,
You must all read a book namely 'Bear went over the mountain'
The military tactic I can get is that Soviet believed in 'Block&Destroy'
Americans & Pakistan did play vital role in impeding Soviet ascent in Afghanistan, especially when Mujahideen were equipped by MANPADS delievered to them by America via Pak

Back
Top Bottom