What's new

Army troops get clothing to brave minus 50 degree Celcius temperature

RPK

Reaction score
Country
India
Army troops get clothing to brave minus 50 degree Celcius temperature - India - DNA

Army has provided latest Swiss winter gear including trousers, jackets and gloves to jawans deployed in places such as Siachen Glacier to enable them brave temperatures that even go below minus 50 degree Celcius.

Jawans deployed in areas including Siachen Glacier, Kargil and Sikkim have been three-layered Extreme Cold Weather Clothing System and each set costs over Rs 35,000, Army sources said here.

The outermost layer of the winter clothing is made up of Gortex and can help troops in braving freezing temperature of up to minus 50 degree C, they said.

The winter gear has been imported by the Army from various Swiss winter clothing manufacturers including Black Diamond.

The Army has procured 40,000 such sets of clothing and the troops in some areas have already started using the kits, they said.

The need for replacing the existing kit was felt by senior Army authorities after it was found that the jackets and trousers in use were very bulky and troops were not finding them very comfortable, sources said.

After the Army started deploying troops to protect its territory in Siachen and other high altitude areas, several measures have been taken by the Government to improve their living conditions there.

The DRDO has also come up with integrated shelter huts which can provide protection to the soldiers against extreme climatic conditions of the Himalayan region.

mother of hell .... :hitwall:

can't we even produce the clothing on our own ... ??
Is anything else left to import....?? :sad:

We develop PSLV, GSLV, So many missiles now why MOD & IA purchasing cloths from abroad ?

It's possible in India also. If private industry give a chance.

mother of hell .... :hitwall:

can't we even produce the clothing on our own ... ??
Is anything else left to import....?? :sad:
Yes why not. If GOI give a chance to private industry. And shut down DRDO,OFB,HAL.(They are Gov. own & reservation)

We develop PSLV, GSLV, So many missiles now why MOD & IA purchasing cloths from abroad ?

It's possible in India also. If private industry give a chance.

Yes why not. If GOI give a chance to private industry. And shut down DRDO,OFB,HAL.(They are Gov. own & reservation)

OFB ... !! Yes, it needs to be shut down ....

As for HAL, I think GOI should increase the fund for them ...

Considering the might of the Indian economy and your industry, this is something you chaps should have in house. The same problem is faced by Pakistan in Mountain warfare equipment, especially extreme temperature clothing, boots, gloves/goggles, and technical climbing equipment such as Figure 8, Jumar, Dynamic and Static Kernmantle rope etc...

One would think we can make such stuff in country, but apparently we prefer to spend our money outside :(

I think from economic point of view, its best to buy than produce it here.. I mean, apart from Army, how many of us going to buy a dress which can withstand -50 degree cold?? :D Its not financially feasible to start a new production unit for a few orders.

I think from economic point of view, its best to buy than produce it here.. I mean, apart from Army, how many of us going to buy a dress which can withstand -50 degree cold?? :D Its not financially feasible to start a new production unit for a few orders.

Great perspective...:tup:

Exactly seiko.I mean who in their right minds would want to invest in R&D for high altitude clothing and then produce just 40k pieces.Forget about making some profit,they will never break it even.

those who are asking if we can produce those equipments or not,Yes we can.but these products are best and several companies are making this in China,so it costs somewhat cheap.India buys arctic suits,gloves and other dresses like fireproof,waterproof suits etc,in which sector, some international brands are front runner.my sister's husband works in this textile sector in defence ministry and only few months ago,he was going to China for inspection of these suits.but that was the time when Indo-China border flared up again when China intruded.so,the inspection got cancelled.

for arctic suits,its far better to rely on international brand than Garments industry in Bangladesh,don't you say???from economical POV,its feasible choice too..

It's not like there are many guys in Switzerland who want to brave -50 temp either. And considering the fact that many regular infantry units might also have to fight high-altitude wars as seen during Kargil standoff and newer mountain strike Corps are being raised, the Army order might eventually cross a 100,000 orders. That's substantial, even by Swiss standards!!

In contrast, just compare what the Jawans were issued in 1962 operating at extreme heights like the areas around Sela Pass 14000 - 16000ft high with temperatures as low as minus 15 deg C....

Plain OG jerseys and cotton trousers with normal leather boots!! You needed to be a superhuman to fight like this!

Considering the might of the Indian economy and your industry, this is something you chaps should have in house. The same problem is faced by Pakistan in Mountain warfare equipment, especially extreme temperature clothing, boots, gloves/goggles, and technical climbing equipment such as Figure 8, Jumar, Dynamic and Static Kernmantle rope etc...

One would think we can make such stuff in country, but apparently we prefer to spend our money outside :(
The irony was when both the Pakistan and Indian Army officers met a couple of decades ago at a Swiss retailer's shop for buying the same cold weather/high altitude equipment for their troops!!! Ooops! :omghaha:

Last edited:
Well to be honest a decent set of carabiners, crampons, harness and chocks/anchors/break racks can cost between 1500$ to 3,000$, this is without acender/decender. If anything, at least such equipment should be made locally, considering India is blessed with a strong industry.

You will even have civilian customers from Pakistan ready to buy from you... Trust me, as an recreational climber, I'm sick of having to pay top dollar for smuggled or hand me down goods.

Back
Top Bottom