What's new

Army to procure artillery howitzers, 3 Indian vendors selected

What makes you say the Archer isn't that good @sancho?

Look at the comparison I made in the Defexpo 2012 aftermath link, which shows some disadvantages it:

http://s7.directupload.net/images/120418/9gplif6e.jpg

For a wheeled howitzer it's very big and heavy, which means you need a C17 to transport it, while the Caesar for example could be even transported in a C130J or MTA in future. That also is a reason why I think TATAs platform for the Denel howitzer was a bad choice, since the 8x8 will be very heavy as well and the main aim of a wheeled howitzer is mobility, because of light weight and small size.
Another key disadtvantage of the Archer and it's platform is, that it can fire only to a certain angle to both sides because of the design. So whenever you have to attack a target further to the rear, you have to completely re-locate the vehicle first. The Denel howitzer on the other side is mounted higher on the platform, which alows it full 360° attack capability.
And last but not least, the ammount of ammo the Archer can carry is very limited, which means it needs to be re-armed much more often than other howitzers.

[QUOTE

@sancho,my brother have some fun while u work,troll a little:taz::taz:

Enough trolls around and somebody has to take the rational side. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know what are the two private companies shortlisted for consideration in this procurement deal?

Ahhhhhhhhh so thats what this is all about lol :

#
Trials are already happening!

20130429101632.jpg

20130429101210.jpg

20130429101618.jpg

AFAIK this particular unit was meant to be displayed at defexpo 2012 in India ... As evident by photos, even the transport is done by civilian vehicle and persons.
If you have any info contrary to this, do share. Thanks.

It's a Denel T5 howitzer, fitted on a Tata 8x8.

http://www.defence.pk/forums/indian...ath-self-propelled-howitzers.html#post2835245

Most of the Indian companies rooted for other partners, only Mahindra had a JV with BAE as it seems and the Archer is not that good, since it's based on a bad platform, which causes many limitations and probably increase the costs too. I only hope that we go for capability and not only for Indian companies.

That's not 8x8. It's a tracked chassis. Is TATA offering one on tracked chassis?

Looks more like South Korean K9 on L&T tracked chassis.

290320121031.jpg

AJ201303270092M.jpg

AFAIK this particular unit was meant to be displayed at some defexpo in India (can't remember which)... As evident by photos, even the transport is done by civilian vehicle and persons.
If you have any info contrary to this, do share. Thanks.

That's a possibility too, the K9 was presented on the Defexpo 2012:

LS_offers_K9.jpg

DefExpo 2012: L&T teams with Nexter and STW to offer 155mm artillery systems to Indian Army - News - Shephard

290320121030.jpg

http://www.defence.pk/forums/indian-defence/163528-defexpo-2012-a-9.html#post2760455

That's not 8x8. It's a tracked chassis. Is TATA offering one on tracked chassis?

DSC01582.JPG

This is TATAs offer

Is this not TATA's offering:

20121203101544.jpg

I'd assume they'd offer it on the TATA LPTA 3138 platform.

@sancho so you're leaning towards the Ceaser then? One of my favorites too!

Wrt the Archer I guess I've been watching to much "FUTRE WEAPONS"!!!:

@sancho so you're leaning towards the Ceaser then? One of my favorites too!

Not really, the Cesars gun is even more restricted in traverse and ammo. My favourite choice remains the German Artillery Gun Module, be it on a truck or a tracked platform. It offers the best mix of capability an mobility, but I didn't found any hints that Ashok Leyland made a propper offer based on one of their trucks. We only saw some models on defexpo of the Donar tracked version, which now is also in a competition in Israel.

Back
Top Bottom