What's new

Army ready to forgo Military Hardware for Economic Boost

forcetrip

PDF THINK TANK: CONSULTANT
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
WASHINGTON: Army chief Gen Ashfaq Parvez Kayani said on Thursday that the military was willing to forgo its requests for hardware to ensure that Pakistan’s energy and economic needs were met.

At a briefing at the Pakistan Embassy, Gen Kayani also said that there had been a marked change in the US attitude towards Pakistan because of the army’s success in South Waziristan and Swat.

“I told Senator John Kerry and Senator Richard Lugar that in order to make sure that Pakistan’s economy and energy needs are met, we are willing to forgo the military equipment that we have asked for,” he said.

“The most important concerns for Pakistan today are economy and energy and we have emphasised that with the American administration that these are the needs that need to be met,” he added.

Gen Kayani met the two senators earlier this week when he arrived in Washington for the two-day strategic dialogue, which concluded on Thursday.

DAWN.COM | Front Page | Army ready to forgo hardware, focus on energy needs: Kayani

Not all Democracies work like Democracies and vice versa. What works is a good human being making the right decisions.

:) yeh i read this report and Kiyani is one sane intellegent man.

Give nuke reactors for generating power

I think it was a political decision for him showing the army in the right light. Saying no to hardware could also mean the U.S said no hardware right now. Him not pouting and making a fuss shows his caliber. While other retarded people cant even keep their signed agreements, he gave a bold statement. All in all the people win .. all the machines in the world wont save us if we dont get back up on our feet.

Last edited:
Pak Army ready to drop US 'hardware' demand if energy, economy needs met: Kayani

2010-03-26 15:40:00

Pakistan Army Chief General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani has said that he has told US lawmakers that the country's armed forces were ready to drop their demand for 'hardware' if Islamabad is assured that its energy and economic needs would be taken care of.

Interacting with media persons during a briefing at the Pakistan Embassy here, Kayani said there has been a marked change in the White House's attitude towards Pakistan following the military's successful operation against extremists in South Waziristan and the Swat Valley.

"I told Senator John Kerry and Senator Richard Lugar that in order to make sure that Pakistan's economy and energy needs are met, we are willing to forgo the military equipment that we have asked for," The Dawn quoted Kayani, as saying.ayani had met the two influential US Senators earlier this week ahead of the first ministerial level strategic talks between Pakistan and America.

He underlined that the economy and power were the two most worrisome issues his country is facing currently.

"The most important concerns for Pakistan today are economy and energy and we have emphasised that with the American administration that these are the needs that need to be met," General Kayani said. (ANI)

he is right not arms every thing if we solve economy and power issues we have atomaticly much money then we can buy any thing from anywere.great kiyani.

of course......... if US can fullfill our energy demands and help us overcome economic crisis we can save money and buy weapons from other countries :rofl: like China or France.

Its a win-win deal for Pakistan if Economic criss are over

I think our politicians should take Gen. Kiyani as example. He is an army Gen and he'll retire after sometime. But still he is doing all he can not for the army only but for teh country and its people.

If only we could learn from examples .. We would never have brought back the most corrupt people and judiciary back in power..

"Every country deserves the government it gets" This was said 2000 years ago by someone named Aristotle.

i definitely feels something fishy here...why the army suddenly changed its traditional approach of military first and the rest are next(economy)..

even your army has gone with its own wish list of hardwares to demand from the US.. and also your civilian government went with its own list of many power and infrastructure projects close to $ 600m...

the obvious question what the US must have asked your COAS is that on the one hand pakistan is demanding aid for power projects and on the other you want modern hardwares which will not have any use against talibans, from where pakistan has got enough $$$ to purchase those new hardwares..if at all you have the money purchase the hardwares woth billions, why dont you guys spend that on your power projects?

one thing is sure, your COAS has had very very bad time in the US...allah knows what kind of interaction senators kerry and lugar have had with your
CAOS and that forced him to take the U turn

In my opinion this probably means that the US has snubbed Pakistan's request for military hardware, so this is perhaps plan B from our military chief!!

I find all these dialogue a failure. Nothing substantial has come off it! just talks. Behind closed doors however, the fate of Afghanistan may have been decided. But that's about it!

No disrespect to anyone. Just my humble opinion.

i definitely feels something fishy here...why the army suddenly changed its traditional approach of military first and the rest are next(economy)..

even your army has gone with its own wish list of hardwares to demand from the US.. and also your civilian government went with its own list of many power and infrastructure projects close to $ 600m...

the obvious question what the US must have asked your COAS is that on the one hand pakistan is demanding aid for power projects and on the other you want modern hardwares which will not have any use against talibans, from where pakistan has got enough $$$ to purchase those new hardwares..if at all you have the money purchase the hardwares woth billions, why dont you guys spend that on your power projects?

one thing is sure, your COAS has had very very bad time in the US...allah knows what kind of interaction senators kerry and lugar have had with your
CAOS and that forced him to take the U turn

What the hell is the problem with Indian members ??? Have you ever studied the Budget of Pakistan ?? If not then keep it shut and no need to bring out the stupid comments about money. Study it first, and then see how much room is available.

And what the hell is 125M US$ gonna do in the power sector ?? Nothing whatsoever.

This is a political statement for the intended audience.

What the hell is the problem with Indian members ??? Have you ever studied the Budget of Pakistan ?? If not then keep it shut and no need to bring out the stupid comments about money. Study it first, and then see how much room is available.

And what the hell is 125M US$ gonna do in the power sector ?? Nothing whatsoever.

This is a political statement for the intended audience.

Countering that with facts sure would have been appreciated.

Btw, why do you bring all Indian members in the scene, when you could have tackled him alone?

I dunno who or what the intended audience was or is.. All I know as a Pakistani is that this is a slap on our face. $ 125 Mill, 2 roads and upgrading 3 thermals is the result of all this drama at a cost of $50 Bill. No prudent and sane person would see this as a success. This word 'Aid' must be changed with ' Compensation' - Aid for what? its a F-king compensation for taking our country to war! And that too also only $125 M. I ask all my Pak friends here.. is this the price tag you put on the lives of our brave soldiers. Its a disgrace. I would rather not even take this much help, at least this will keep my head high!

Lets be honest: US is not our true friend. Sooner we realise the better. We should therefore not help them in Afghanistan. When their soldiers will die mercilessly they will come back begging for our help again. Maybe then we can be more assertive in our demands. The world uses us and we are going to be used and abused until we let them do that. If we stand firm, we can extract a lot more from the world and US in particular!

But for now .. I don't see that happening! Id rather stay cynical till then.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom