What's new

Army General GD Bakshi's speech equated to 'hate-mongering' by IIT-Madras student

IIT-Madras student on Major General Bakshi: Much offence taken to a soldier’s lament

An IIT-Madras student, Ashutosh Shukla has written a counter to Abhinav Surya, a fellow student who had written a letter to the IIT-Madras Director, calling Major General GD Bakshi’s lecture at the institute “hate-mongering”.

Read:

Major General Bakshi delivered hate-mongering lecture, writes IIT-M student to director

General GD Bakshi stands by his speech at IIT Madras, says left liberals promoting sedition

Reproduced below is Ashutosh’s blog:

A certain class of gossip-mongers and attention seeking people have done it again. They have played an unaccustomed chord and injured themselves; not to mention a broken symphony. Who is at the target-end? A Bhakt, a cow-vigilante! No. They booed a retired soldier- Major General GD Bakshi. The occasion was an Independence Day lecture organized by EML team in IIT Madras, Chennai.

Major General had taken many detours in his lecture talking about India’s Military warfare from Mauryan era until now. He gave some explanations which are much loved by conspiracy theorist all over the world. Verisimilitude or hokum! Notwithstanding any prior judgement, like everyone else he has had his due right to advocate his theory (Marx still does its round of campus corridors). Every alternate narrative gets a voice in democracy. Let’s dissect some so-called controversial sections of his speech and decode the underlying sentiment of the speaker. Before we proceed any further, let’s keep one thing in mind- it was a soldier speaking and not an academic romanticising out-dated ideologies in an air conditioned chamber.

“The only thing Indian about India is her army”. Much furore is being made on this line by some sections of the people who are against the very idea of India. By the way, it was not the general who spoke this. Rather an American soldier had made this point. Yes, Major General GD Bakshi seemed to endorse this view. He is free to make his opinion- biased or non-biased. The sentence can be harmlessly paraphrased into something of one’s own preference- “The only thing Indian about India is her cuisine”, “The only thing Indian about India is her colour and couture.” Moreover, is it not the Indian Army that runs to help any Indian irrespective of his/her diverse affiliations. It is the soldier of the armed forces which identifies with “India” & not regional identities. In that respect, is it not right to call the army “Indian”!

Another misrepresentation being propagated is that the “Major General wrote off the freedom struggle when he said we gained true freedom in 2014”. On the contrary he glorified the armed struggle by reactionary revolutionaries like Bose who fought with his INA (Indian National Army). He was blatantly against the romantic utopian idea that only ‘Non-violence’ and ‘Non-cooperation’ got us freedom. There are many theories about how India got her freedom. Apparently every other section seems to have strong belief in its own version of the story. Who to believe, who not to? Make your own informed choice. But there is no denial that armed resistance had broken the British to a pretty good extent. We can have an open discourse on how much weight we assign to different factors behind British departure from India. One factor wasn’t enough, we rational folks do agree on that.

“He was spewing hate and violence in his speech,” alleges a student. He didn’t do anything like that. As a soldier he has seen his boys being killed in battle. It’s only natural that he gets heated every time the war is discussed. The enemy state he fought against was divided into two post-war. He lost his beloved and you mustn’t expect him to deliver love messages from the podium. It was his ground level experience speaking. Ooze the juice of universal brotherhood after you’ve lost your brother to the enemy state.

The Major General listened to all the questions carefully and gave answers post the lecture. He smiled at the blunt critic of a so-called brave student, who thanked the platform for bringing a speaker spewing venom. It is to be noted that the same platform had called Teesta Setlvad a few years backs and she had cried baseless allegations against an organisation. She had shouted and presented a post-apocalypse scenario if someone like India’s current PM came to power (He did and we don’t see any danger looming on the horizon). That was hatred; violence of words. When the Major General tells a story about skull being crushed by elephants of Mauryan army, that is not violence- that is warfare. What do you expect to listen in an army’s lecture- lullabies? People get killed and tortured in war. When so much of disagreement was there, an army personnel mustn’t have been called in the first place. Rather yet again some social theorist! You heard a man who won you battles. Yet, you’ve got the right to disagree. You do that. But a systematic propaganda against the army does no good. However, another section of students came full in support of the Major General’s lecture. There is a visible split in academia- a fault line of ideological divide.

http://www.thenewsminute.com/articl...kshi-much-offence-taken-soldiers-lament-48102

You've already got 20 -ves; no point.
I suspect your only participation in PDF is to police around and pick random emotional posts by Indians (@ranjeet) and issue negative ratings... Is it so..?? I think you are reserve bank of negative ratings in PDF.. Have you got any negatives for me today.??
PS : @Nilgiri, @Rajaraja Chola Indha segappunthundu pakki panra lollu over ah irukku..

yup yup true true.........thats what I failed to understand.....Bakshi said everything good......how it is wrong ?? Pakistan is not a lover of Indians thats a truth.......we did break Pakistan into two....thats also a truth
My mistake. I was thinking you said what Surya said was correct

My own elder brother passed out from IIT-M in 2011. Spent many days in hostel. Never seen any kind of animosity of political kind over there. The only thing was South Indian food vs North Indian food in hostels :P

Every idea, revolution start at the universities. IIT-M has now a very small percentage of "political" students who were not present earlier. Its good for a democracy. However if its good for a technical institution, I am not sure. Anyway JNU kind of tricks can never work at Madras, not when Amma is at watch :P The thing is how an isolated letter like this got media publicity. It seems someone is working against General Bakshi. Lot of people talk lot of controversial things, yet they never get publicised, and Bakshi sirji is least of our worries.

Moreover Dravidian movement is no longer on ideology. It has now taken shape based on Ethnicity. Only Karunanidhi, Stalian and old DMK stalwarts, along with voteless parties like DK, Vaiko's MDMK follow it. AIADMK has completely devoid of Dravidism. They openly go to temple, JJ do poojas, along with her minister's. Stalin's sister, Kanimozhi, his son, wife, daughter-in-law everyone are religious.

Moreover Dravidian movement is no longer on ideology. It has now taken shape based on Ethnicity. Only Karunanidhi, Stalian and old DMK stalwarts, along with voteless parties like DK, Vaiko's MDMK follow it. AIADMK has completely devoid of Dravidism. They openly go to temple, JJ do poojas, along with her minister's. Stalin's sister, Kanimozhi, his son, wife, daughter-in-law everyone are religious.
Ethnicity??

Who invited him to IIT? May be the IIT-M admin should issue an apology letter for their mistake.

Thats contemporary leftism in a nutshell.
@DesiGuy1403

I remember a few years ago seeing some placards from an anti-terror rally in Mumbai in the newspaper.

The meaning the paper wanted to put forth was- Kids protesting against terror.

What I say was what was written on those placards- "Terrorist Uncle,Terrorist Uncle Please don't kill us"! "Terrorist uncle,Terrorist Uncle Please don't bomb us"!! :facepalm:

These leftist loonies around the world are the same:-
1)They mock & renounce the ways & culture of the local nation ;
2)Always encouraging delusions of world peace & singing "Kumbaya Kumbaya" with those who hate you & despise you for belonging to the wrong race/religion ;
3)viciously attacking those who disagree with them on any issue & breaking their own rules on racism & bigotry
4)& how they lecture everybody on how being aggressive & fighting to preserve oneself is violent,racist & hateful. -_-
etc etc
Sometimes I feel they(Indian leftists) want us to be a bunch of sissies & cowards who need "Safe spaces" & constantly screaming about this micro-aggression or that like those college students in the west do now.

As Clint Eastwood said,they want to turn us into a "pussy generation"

http://news.nationalpost.com/arts/c...fends-donald-trumps-racism-and-anti-pc-stance

& by the way his second wife was of a multi-racial background-(Hispanic,Japanese,Black American)so don't call him a racist & divert the topic here please
------------------------------------------------
Those jokers have always caused more damage than good wherever you go. They behave worse than ostriches when it comes to hearing the truth.They not only ignore you but launch ridiculous & fake attacks on you.

Leftists around the world with the above characteristics have done some good .yes(Even a broken clock is right atleast twice a day)

.But their cons outnumber the pros by good margin which continues to grow.

& the margin is much,much higher when it comes to the Indian leftists who have dominated Indian intelligentsia since 1947.

Tamil Race....
Today Seeman of Naam Tamilar has made this brand of Dravidism one of the main points of his campaign.
He even talked of the telugu background of some Leaders in TN & attacked them on that some months back

You think that he can rise further & further in TN politics in the future?

Last edited:
Ahh man just heard this wanna be Chu Guevara on a debate ... I request Amma to put him under protection immediately I am afraid he will end up hurting himself.

I have noticed one thing about left, "liberals", Sickulars & Atheists.
They want Freedom of expression for expressing ONLY their views. They can shout against India, against our military, against hindus, against Leadership and pro jihadis...
BUT
They will not tolerate others using their freedom of expression to express contrarian views to theirs. Then they forget all the principles they preach and get down to abuse & assault.
not unique to the Indian left, it's like a crazy global marxist virus, look at how they're destroying Europe.. they're insane.

speaking off, anyone know what happened to crazy jamahir, the gaddafi bhakt ?

@DesiGuy1403

Today Seeman of Naam Tamilar has made this brand of Dravidism one of the main points of his campaign.
He even talked of the telugu background of some Leaders in TN & attacked them on that some months back

You think that he can rise further & further in TN politics in the future?

One guy called Vijayakanth rocked 2006 elections. He created an national record then till it was beaten by AAP recently. You know what happened to him now?
Much like national politics, DMK and AIADMK wont allow other parties to grow. Either you rob or me do it. For all the animosity, the ground level workers of both the parties are friends with each other. Same for Congress and BJP.

Seeman can fight at best, one more elections. That's it. He got less than 1% votes in whole of TN I guess. Nobody will finance his BS views and his parties.
Ramadoss, Vijayakanth have Telugu anchestory.

You've already got 20 -ves; no point.
What are your views on the topic though?

With students like these who needs enemies? His mother should have been stabbed in her stomach with a bayonet when she was pregnant with this student.
what the hell is wrong with you, you are referring to someones mother.
Have you folks lost all civility?

Ahh man just heard this wanna be Chu Guevara on a debate ... I request Amma to put him under protection immediately I am afraid he will end up hurting himself.
Dude, don't poke fun at precedence of vemula's suicide. Just because it is an internet forum doesn't mean you should poke fun at someone who is no more. You wouldn't do it in a real life conversation, why would you do so here.

What are your views on the topic though?

what the hell is wrong with you, you are referring to someones mother.
Have you folks lost all civility?

Is it hate speech? Yes. But if people aren't able to distinguish what is good and what is bad, and deal with it, it is they who need help, and not the speaker.

I am referring only to what he is reported to have said about Pakistan. About his whacky history, in a land that has seen the likes of P. N. Oak, what difference does a G. D. Bakshi make?

The third issue is people's reactions to him. That is interesting, and I have a clinical interest in it.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom