What's new

Army feels the communal hatred pinch on social media

vivINDIAN

Reaction score
Country
India
SOURCE: THE TRIBUNE

ind7.jpg

Sometime in the first week of October this year, a post on social networking site Facebook startled the cyber watch group of the Army in New Delhi.

A Facebook account user under the name of “Indian Army” posted a communally sensitive “doctored” picture, giving the impression as if the Army had posted that picture.

The picture depicted the scene of a bomb blast that occurred inside a mosque in Pakistan a few months ago. The person posting the picture on Facebook had claimed that it was the scene inside a temple in Pakistan and said: “This was the manner in which Hindus are massacred in Pakistan”.

The person went on to question the logic behind holding peace talks with Pakistan. In a few days, the picture has had a few thousand people sharing it on their Facebook accounts, thus furthering the lie that it was posted by the “Indian Army”.

The Army initiated a three-pronged action. First of all, it informed Facebook about the fake account and asked it to block it.

Secondly, the Army informed the Ministry of Information Technology through the Ministry of Defence seeking action against all those masquerading as “Armed forces” or the “Indian Army”. Then, the Army got its own Facebook and Twitter accounts verified.

Army officials said people had been warned against wrongly using the name of “Indian Army” to peddle their personal agenda on Facebook. The next step would be to lodge FIRs against such persons.

Officials said the Army does not post any picture naming any community or question the government policy on any neighbour and has asked Facebook users of being alert and not to “re-post” or “share” any such communally sensitive material posted by fake users.

The issue of misuse of social networking sites also cropped up at the meeting of the National Integration Council on September 23 this year. All chief ministers attending the meeting had asked Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to initiate action. The Information Technology Act allows the police to book individuals spreading falsehood, but getting such content deleted is a bigger task. The servers of most websites are in Europe or in the US, thus allowing India no control over these.

“These nations interpret issues as per their conditions and explaining the matter to them takes time. Days are lost before the objectionable content is deleted,” a functionary said. The recent Muzaffarnagar riots in UP allegedly owe their origin to the murder of a youth over eve-teasing. A morphed video on the Internet, however, showed how “Hindus” were being “ill-treated” by Muslims and became one of the trigger points for the riots. A BJP MLA has been booked for uploading the video.

In August 2012, a fake video (with origin in Myanmar) was circulated showing Muslims being ill-treated by Bodos in Assam. It led to a clash in Mumbai’s Azad Maidan.

Soon after, another fake video egged one community to attack people from the North-East, leading to a mass exodus of north-easterners from Mumbai, Bangalore, Pune, Hyderabad and Chennai.

Yes i know that guy "Indian Army" ...i had an argument with him once to tone down his Rhetoric , He wanted to completely ban a gaming company from India just because it showed killing of some soldiers in India . worse thing is i knew it was not an official IA page but many believed it and he carried it on to increase his supposed credibility ... I knew he would end up in trouble soon , now he will most prolly end up facing Jail term ....

Someone even posted pictures from that Facebook page here.Just shows how retarded people are......most of the Indian Facebook crowd had northing to do,other than sharing random useless stuff.

Not surprising, I know a couple of gooks who think that the Indian army is a hindrance or perhaps even a disgrace since it has not openly adopted a KILL ALL THE MUSLIMS doctrine. One of them had the gall to state that if the army didn't kill the Muslims then it would fail in its mandate to protect the nation and should be treated as an organisation with traitorous intentions. That was pretty much one of the most inane line of reasoning I have come across in my life, oddball yuppies who think they've got more ballast and guts than the jawaan on the front.

Some time ago, i also saw an Indain army facebook page. it was showing Pak Army personnel's nd shaheed officers as indian soldiers. :crazy:

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom