What's new

Arjun News & Discussions

know one develops a Mark-II if the Mark-I is a failure this reports confirms that Army is happy with tank ,and development of Mark-II as been heared some years ago ,and development of new Tank engine is also for Mark-I and Mark-II Arjuns ,some reports say that new breakthrough in composite Armour has been developed

The problem with the arjun is simple. Its nmot russian. The IA just doesnt want to accept a indegenous tank, coz of their stereotyping that indegenous stuff sucks. The arjun was below par when it first came out, but after many modifications, it has transformed into a potent MBT. Some israeli scientists working on it rate it better than the T-90.

The problem is that arjun is 50 tonnes and army says it will b too heavy fo thar desert. But the pressure exerted by the tanks' tracks on the soil is actually lesser than that of the T-90. I dunno why the army doesnt consider that.

Anyway, once the 126 arjuns ordered comes out, we'll how good it really is.

Please prove it.

this was, as i said, quoted by an israeli scientist on the arjun's tracks. i read it on indiandefenceforum. the article had a link. i have to go dig thru the files there to find it. i'll post it when i get time.

Not Sure about Israeli comment, and I am not a very technical guy to comment on the Specifications..

but check this article on Frontier India Defence and Strategic News Service dated May 2007

Dissimilar Combat: Arjun MBT Vs T-90S specs

Check the Ground Pressure

Mobility performance

4aafc9b349f911a929fff40e5b6dd678.jpg

This is more due to the Mating the imported track of tank in 65 ton class to to 58 ton tank. You got the idea right, a track designed to withstand 65-70 ton when mated to 58 ton, the ground pressure will be less ....like kalam says "fantastic".

Does anything matter how good the DRDO fanboys say it is, Arjun is dead, at least for the Army. Gen Kapoor should know better than Fan boy fantasies dished here.

'What we have today is mid-level technology. What we need is a tank of international quality,' Indian Army chief Gen. Deepak Kapoor said Tuesday

Kapoor's remarks were a clear indication that even as the Indian Army prepares to induct its first squadron of 14 Arjuns, it is not too happy with the tank.

Does anything matter how good the DRDO fanboys say it is, Arjun is dead, at least for the Army. Gen Kapoor should know better than Fan boy fantasies dished here.

Where does he say Arjun is not needed?I would be very interested to know. Please dont show me "opinions" of these reporters who dish out the same issue of engine heating etc etc every year despite it been resolved long back.Just shows how much they bother to verify the other side of the story and just copy past years old news.

Why would India want to develop a tank engine if Arjun is a failure? What is it going to do with it? Stick it into T-90?
With the same logic AK must be dead as well,as almost every Pakistani posters on defence forums are fully convinced there is a AK2 coming.

If IA chief says it is a "medium tech" tank,then that is what they asked for. Arjun is built on IA spec,which basically means they gave out "medium tech" requirements.
Despite that there is nothing wrong with what is said.Compared to international tanks like M1A1s and Leo,Arjun is medium tech.He just stated the fact. What is the big deal about it.

There have been numerous chaps who have saying Arjun is never gonna see the light.Chaps like Shiv Aroor,whose blog you frequently visit to gain "enlightenment" had to eat his words,when he was found wanting after visiting Arjun's assembly lines. Ranting hardly changes the reality.

So what is the current satus of the Arjun MBT?

Have any of the 124 ordered arrived or been inducted?

Where does he say Arjun is not needed?I would be very interested to know. Please dont show me "opinions" of these reporters who dish out the same issue of engine heating etc etc every year despite it been resolved long back.Just shows how much they bother to verify the other side of the story and just copy past years old news.

This is not the opinion of your dear Reporters, but the army chief, read it again:
'What we have today is mid-level technology. What we need is a tank of international quality,' Indian Army chief Gen. Deepak Kapoor said Tuesday.

Kapoor's remarks were a clear indication that even as the Indian Army prepares to induct its first squadron of 14 Arjuns, it is not too happy with the tank.

These tanks, in fact, had been handed over for user trials last year and were returned to the manufacturer -- the Combat Vehicles Development Establishment -- with a list of defects that have now apparently been ironed out.

These include a deficient

1. fire control system,
2. inaccuracy of its guns,
3. low speeds in tactical areas -- principally deserts --
4. and its inability to operate in temperatures over 50 degrees Celsius.

If IA chief says it is a "medium tech" tank,then that is what they asked for. Arjun is built on IA spec,which basically means they gave out "medium tech" requirements.
Despite that there is nothing wrong with what is said.Compared to international tanks like M1A1s and Leo,Arjun is medium tech.He just stated the fact. What is the big deal about it.

Let me see, if I got it right...Army provided medium tech specification and new expect ABRAM and LEO performance and quality...is that right?:cheers:

Man then the Army officer including its chief should be.....:bounce::bounce::bounce:

Found an article to some extent relating to Arjun. I think India is going to induct some Arjuns then quietly replace them. I hope India's latest tank endeavor doesn’t end up like Arjun. It could be Arjun Part 2.:rofl:

DefenseNews.com - India Tackles Second Tank Design Project - 11/26/07 17:19

Another stupid report from Vivek ragu***. Of all the "requirements" he has mentioned for the next version tank,bar the active defense,everything else is already present o Arjun.

The dude expects 1000 T-90s to be build in 3 years,starting in 2008 and ending in 2011! What an idiot.

Hello Con,
Here, I help you finding another stupid writer:
Indian Army seeks next generation battle tank : India World
Indian Army seeks next generation battle tank
Posted on : 2007-11-13 | Author : IANS
News Category : India

New Delhi, Nov 13 - The Indian Army has sought a new generation main battle tank (MBT) even as it reluctantly prepares to receive the homegrown Arjun tank that has been over three decades in the making.

'What we have today is mid-level technology. What we need is a tank of international quality,' Indian Army chief Gen. Deepak Kapoor said Tuesday.

'I have no doubt that the DRDO (Defence Research and Development Organisation) will be able to develop indigenous capabilities for coming up with a better answer and more versatile armoured fighting vehicle (than Arjun) in the future,' he added while speaking at the inaugural session of an international seminar on Armoured Fighting Vehicles, the first to be held here.

Kapoor also called for synergy between scientists, users and producers to ensure the delivery of a cutting-edge-technology tank.

'The scientists cannot work in isolation. The users (the army) should be with them. So also should the producers, be they the public sector undertakings or private players. Only then will we see an indigenous armoured fighting vehicle of international quality,' the army chief maintained.

These tanks, in fact, had been handed over for user trials last year and were returned to the manufacturer -- the Combat Vehicles Development Establishment -- with a list of defects that have now apparently been ironed out.

These include a deficient fire control system, inaccuracy of its guns, low speeds in tactical areas -- principally deserts -- and its inability to operate in temperatures over 50 degrees Celsius.

At a review meeting with the DRDO in April, Defence Minister A.K. Antony is known to have asked the organisation to get its act together to rectify these defects or the government might have to take another look at the entire programme.

Parliament's Standing Committee on Defence has, in two reports earlier this year, remarked adversely on the slow pace of Arjun's development and asked the DRDO to quicken the process.

The Indian Army laid down its qualitative requirement (QR) for the Arjun in 1972. In 1982, the DRDO announced that the prototype was ready for field trials. However, the tank was publicly unveiled for the first time only in 1995.

Arjun was originally meant to be a 40-tonne tank with a 105 mm gun. It has now grown to a 50-tonne tank with a 120 mm gun.

It is clear now that one of the major problem with Arjun was its weight and size, which makes it a sitting duck. Since this was a design related deficiency so ironing out other defects was irrelevant for IA.

Hello Con,
Here, I help you finding another stupid writer:
Indian Army seeks next generation battle tank : India World

It is clear now that one of the major problem with Arjun was its weight and size, which makes it a sitting duck. Since this was a design related deficiency so ironing out other defects was irrelevant for IA.

Really? How does Arjun's weight and size make it a sitting duck?
You say the size and T-90 & AK will spare it from attack? By your logic M1a2,Leo,Chally which all are more heavier than Arjun must be easily knocked out. Isn't it? Please enlighten me how did you reach that conclusion.

The reports which you have mention are good until they just report. The moment they give out opinions, any one who has been following Indian Armour development will make out that these reporters are just hot air! Read the report correctly. The comments are not from IA,but their own hyperbola! No matter what ever bu***** they report,T-90 will the LAST tank India will import. The future of Indian Armour will be Arjun and it's derivative. Indian Ministry of Defence has already cleared the production of the next batch of 124 Arjun, after the first batch of 124 Arjun will be completed delivery by the end of 2008.

You dont need to extra smart to understand that it is virtually impossible to built 1000 T-90 tanks in 3 years in peace time.The guy thinks it can be easily done.What a joke.
Add to this the report thinks a 40 tonne tank will be able to handle future anti-tank weapons and that too a decade from now.Even today there is hardly any answer for pure kinetic anti-tank missiles.Imagine what it will be decade later. The reporter is just talking nonsense.
Do you want me to take these reports as authoritative reference of Indian Armour development? Please spare me. I prefer refering better sources.

The reports which you have mention are good until they just report. The moment they give out opinions, any one who has been following Indian Armour development will make out that these reporters are just hot air! Read the report correctly. The comments are not from IA,but their own hyperbola! No matter what ever bu***** they report

Con, Almost similar report is published in Janes.
I find it hard to believe your claim of rejecting it and labeling it as personal views of some anti-Indian journalist and not accepting it as news!

India eyes new MBT despite Arjun's arrival - Jane's Land Forces News

The Indian Army is seeking a new generation main battle tank (MBT) even as it prepares to receive the locally designed Arjun MBT that has been over three decades in the making.

"What we have today [Arjun] is mid-level technology. What we need is a tank of international quality," India's army chief General Deepak Kapoor said in New Delhi at an international seminar on armoured fighting vehicles.

"I have no doubt that the Defence Research and Development Organisation [DRDO] will be able to develop indigenous capabilities for coming up with a better answer and more versatile armoured fighting vehicle [than Arjun] in the future," he added. Arjun was designed by the DRDO.

Referring to the DRDO's much criticised inefficiencies, Gen Kapoor also called for greater synergy between defence scientists, users and producers to ensure the delivery of a 'cutting-edge-technology' MBT.

"The [defence] scientists cannot work in isolation. The users [the army] should be with them. So also should the producers, be they the public sector undertakings or private players. Only then will we see an indigenous armoured fighting vehicle of international quality," the army chief said.

186 of 561 words
© 2007 Jane's Information Group
End of non-subscriber extract

Back
Top Bottom