What's new

Arjun-II MBT development l Updates & discussion.

A look at the Indian Army's Main Battle Tank programs

In August 2014, the Defence Acquisition Council(DAC) finally gave the go ahead for 118 Arjun Mk-2 MBTs for an order value of about Rs 6600 crores.This signalled a return to production for the Arjun MBT line at Heavy Vehicles factory (HVF), Avadi that had been lying idle since 2010-11 when the last Arjun Mk-Is rolled out. Nevertheless the piecemeal order is indicative of the fact that the Indian Army (IA) continues to insist upon the demonstration of a potent missile firing capability from the Arjun Mk-2's gun before it places an indent for a much larger order. And a much larger order, as has been known to the Ministry of Defence (MoD) is absolutely needed to make it viable to indigenize various sub-systems in the Arjun Mk-2. Meanwhile, the IA continues to face issues with its pool of T-90S MBTs and is increasingly turning to the Defence Research & Development Organization(DRDO) to upgrade these tanks with domestically developed technologies .As of now DRDO has dropped the LAHAT from its Arjun Mk-2 MBT plans and is instead pursuing the Canon Launched Guided Missile (CLGM) being developed indigenously at the Defence Research and Development Laboratory (DRDL).
The missile firing capability requirement grew out of the fact that though the Arjun Mk-I with a score of 25.77 beat the T-90S with a score of 24.50 in the firepower criteria during the 2010 comparative trials if the T-90S's missile firing capability were to be kept aside, the T-90 fared marginally better in the overall final score primarily on account of its Invar missile firing capability.

So, the T-90S upgrade path is similar to that followed for modifying T-72M1s to the CIA standard which includes indigenous ERA, navigation aids, an uprated 1000 HP power pack, fire suppression system, new displays and sights. Almost a 1000 CIA's have been delivered to the IA, which now probably feels that the time is ripe for upgrading older T-90S lots besides building new ones with the improved features, since production seems to have finally stabilized at around 90-100 units a year.
The T-90S's domestic production at HVF after all has been a difficult process with the Russian OEM refusing to transfer technology for vital assemblies such as the gun system (including the barrel) and turret armour plates. For the first 175 T-90s produced at Avadi, the gun system had to be imported off the shelf from Russia. However starting 2012, an indigenous 125 mm smooth bore gun developed by DRDO with a 'modified chemistry barrel' of the existing T-72 gun has gone into production having completed trials in 2010.This modified chemistry barrel has also successfully completed a life cycle test conducted at Armoured Corps Centre & School Ahmednagar. The last two years have also seen the indigenization of the T-90S's commander hatch control unit, indigenous production of 50 types of critical optical components of the T-90Sand indigenously developed cable harnesses for the same. Overall the latest batches of T-90Ss will be between 80-90 percent indigenous by value. At the moment HVF is racing to fulfil the old indent of 300 tanks (of which 80 percent may have been delivered) and is looking to commence production for some 236 more tanks as per the December 2013 indent given to it by the IA. Overall the number of T-90Ss in the IA's inventory today is just over 900 units.ven as the domestic production of the T-90S stabilizes there may be a move underway to procure some 354 T-90MS tanks from Russia directly to counter the Chinese at some points on the LAC. Proposals for any more direct import from Russia however is a little strange given that the focus instead should be on producing sizeable numbers of Arjun Mk-2s and deploying them in the Punjab and Jammu sectors as well which would free up enough domestically built T-90Ss to be deployed against China. With a power /weight ratio of 21.0, and the nominal ground pressure (NGP) of 0.95 kg/cm2 the Arjun Mk-2 is more than capable of being deployed in these areas. Moreover the .feasibility report by the railways has confirmed that the movement of Arjun loaded wagon anywhere is not a problem. The Arjun Mk-2 is strategically mobile enough to be deployed to Punjab especially given that enough bridging equipment of maximum load class 70 is available anyway.
A larger production run for the Arjun Mk-2 say of the order of about 500 units will allow its developers to indigenize about 70 percent of its systems, from the current 40 percent. This is important because having domestic suppliers for these systems with stabilized quality will make it easier to productionize the proposed FMBT at a future date which will use sub-systems of this variety that have been refined and improved. It must be noted that while CIA induction is well and good many of the IA's T-72s will run out of their designed service lives by the early 2020s which would mean that new tanks would have to replace them given the IA's authorized tank strength of some 3717 units.

source http://www.ibnlive.com/blogs/india/saur ... 48711.html

UncommonFewKodiakbear.gif

120mm thermobaric + fragmentation

mGyWVlU.png

PCB, FSAPDS Mark 2

tW2eAlp.png

CLGM-2.JPG

CLGM, HEAT

New ammunition being readied for Arjun

SbmuYju.png

sUntG39.jpg

mark 2

Last edited:
Yes Every one of them atleast which are possessed by China, Except their latest Type-99.

All these Chinese tanks or Mutation of Russian tanks have serious flaw, they roof is exposed and inclined over frontal Armour >>

s640x480kjh.jpg

images

At the same time, Arjun Mk.II armour resist direct hits from the Type 99(Extra composites + NERA. Rate based on Mk.II armour.

Afaik, Chinese operate same kind of Israeli Rounds we use under OFB manufacture, The round can penetrate +500mm @2000meters, In that case Arjun MK-1/2 can survive direct hit at frontal Armour ( As we tested Arjun against same ammo during 2000 test at point blank range ) as long as its not over her Sight.

View attachment 285481

I can see where you are coming from and your assessment, oops, I mean copy paste skills are not good enough yet.

Let's start shall we?

I can see where you are coming from and your assessment, oops, I mean copy paste skills are not good enough yet.

Let's start shall we?
So much assuming :lol: where did i claimed that i haven't copy pasted,you should cut your ranting and deal with the above pics.

Those thermobaric + fragmentation PCB TB and FSPDA MK 2 rounds is taking a toll on your cognitive abilities.

Last edited:
where did i claimed that i haven't copy pasted,you should cut your ranting and deal with the above pics.

Those thermobaric + fragmentation PCB TB and FSPDA MK 2 rounds is taking a toll on your cognitive abilities and forcing you to assuming things from behind. :lol:

Mate, get serious, these thermobaric rounds maybe a new things for you guys, not for the world. And your mighty FSAPDS round is obsolete in every single dimension. Ask yourself, why was it tested against the mighty T-55 and not t-72m or even t-90??? The answer will not please you at all ;)

Mate, get serious, these thermobaric rounds maybe a new things for you guys, not for the world. And your mighty FSAPDS round is obsolete in every single dimension. Ask yourself, why was it tested against the mighty T-55 and not t-72m or even t-90??? The answer will not please you at all ;)
You have better authority on armor and tanks than me i agree, but where is the test mentioned anything about the testing of FSAPDS round ? I have given you the penetration value as stated by DRDO chief is 460 mm,you can verify this with Kunal on other forum,you are also a member there,let's not spam this thread.

Ask yourself, why was it tested against the mighty T-55 and not t-72m or even t-90???
are u serious bro?why would we test a round by wasting a operation tank.there is a reason decommissioned tanks are kept in storage.

You have better authority on armor and tanks than me i agree, but where is the test mentioned anything about the testing of FSAPDS round ? I have given you the penetration value as stated by DRDO chief is 460 mm,you can verify this with Kunal on other forum,you are also a member there,let's not spam this thread.

i am an armour guy, i dont need kunal or some other forumer to confirm things that i know firsthand mate.

amateur response, not all t-72s are in service right? choose those that are either cannibalized or no longer in service or just pick an empty turret module fr testing sake. There is no rocket science in this and is a standard process all over the world.

Ask yourself, why was it tested against the mighty T-55 and not t-72m or even t-90??? l ;)
tell me does POF uses operational T-84 or al khaleds to test there latest Tank ammo or does USA test its latest tank ammo on operational and in service abraham's or do the britishers test there tank ammo on latest challenger II or same for germans or french or russians do they test there latest tank ammo on there latest leopard 2, Le clerks or T90s if yes please give links to prove your point Sir

tell me does POF uses operational T-84 or al khaleds to test there latest Tank ammo or does USA test its latest tank ammo on operational and in service abraham's or do the britishers test there tank ammo on latest challenger II or same for germans or french or russians do they test there latest tank ammo on there latest leopard 2, Le clerks or T90s if yes please give links to prove your point Sir

read post # 675

read post # 675
so you do not have links to prove your point ? Because its an universal practice to use decomisioned tanks for testing new ammo but now days to test there capacity live ammo is stored in the target tanks with latest ERA tiles for testing latest ammo but since Sir you are a senior member and a self confessed 'tank guy' i rest my case against your athourity on the subject .

Pics of pakistani army using T80 or al khalids for testing ammo on Them

Alkhalid armor test...

images

You just insulted the two by comparing them with your obsolete t-72Ms man. Shame. Still, ammo has been tested on both to ensure armour worthiness. The above mbts are all serving in their respective militaries but I guess you either lack comprehension a little, or are plain troll to include Pakistan into everything.

Last edited:

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom