What's new

Apple announces its first new computers with its own chip instead of Intel’s

Hamartia Antidote

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
United States

Apple held a product launch event Tuesday, where it announced its first homemade chip for the Mac, the M1.

The company also introduced three new Macs powered by the chip: A new MacBook Air laptop, a new 13-inch MacBook Pro laptop and Mac Mini desktop computer. The designs look nearly identical to the current generation of each computer. Apple made several claims about the M1′s performance and how it’ll contribute to better battery life in the new Macs.

All three computers are available to order now and start shipping next week. The MacBook Air starts at $999, the MacBook Pro starts at $1,299 and the Mac Mini starts at $699.

Earlier this year, Apple announced its plans to use “Apple Silicon” in its laptops and desktop computers running the MacOS operating system. Apple has used Intel chips in its Mac computers since 2005. The transition means Apple will start using chips based on the same technology as the chips in iPhones and iPads. It also means Macs will be able to run apps originally developed for iPhones.

The event lasted under an hour. Apple ended with a cheeky skit bringing back the “I’m a PC” character, played by actor, author and comedian John Hodgman, whose ineffectual boasts about Windows’ capabilities are supposed to set up a stronger contrast with Apple.

CEO Tim Cook teased “more amazing experiences” coming next year.—Michelle Gao

There are three new Macs with Apple’s M1 chips. They go up for preorder on Tuesday and will go on sale next week.

Big Sur, the latest version of the MacOS operating system, will release on Thursday November 12 as a free update for current Mac owners, Apple said. That’s available for both older Macs based on Intel as well as Apple’s new M1 macs.

Here’s the starting prices for these computers:

MacBook Air: $999

13-inch MacBook Pro: $1299

Mac Mini: $699

Last edited:
The M1 chip is impressive for sure, M1(x or s...) with 8 powerful Cores for the 16" Macbook pro will be very impressive. While the SOC is impressive, Apple has yet to demonstrate it can develop a chiplet based design like the Ryzen Series with its infinity fabric. That is the only way to scale with a high core count ... Additionally, having memory as part of the same package means your upgrade options are non existent, and a memory issue means your entire righ is toast ....

Pro's and cons....

The M1 chip is impressive for sure, M1(x or s...) with 8 powerful Cores for the 16" Macbook pro will be very impressive. While the SOC is impressive, Apple has yet to demonstrate it can develop a chiplet based design like the Ryzen Series with its infinity fabric. That is the only way to scale with a high core count ... Additionally, having memory as part of the same package means your upgrade options are non existent, and a memory issue means your entire righ is toast ....

Pro's and cons....

Well Apple does like standardized machine specs to minimize app issues. So this is just another step in keeping people from fiddling with things.

But you are correct. One RAM issue and they'll have to replace the entire thing.

It's a revolution!

Can you imagine 20 hours of battery life for a laptop?

But of course, the first generation will be ugly, because of minimum support from the third party and unknown problems.

But I do believe in 10 years, it will be the king.

I don't know how Windows is going to follow?

Windows 10 ARM seems like a failure since there's no good enough processor to support it.

I always dreaming to have a powerful gaming laptop that can run for 10 hours straight, while playing AAA games.

Just bought the MacBook 2020 with m1 chip last night for £1k, fingers crossed it’s worth it!

Just bought the MacBook 2020 with m1 chip last night for £1k, fingers crossed it’s worth it!

Air or Pro ?

Do let us know how you get along. I have a 2013 15" Macbook Pro that i would like to replace one day soon...

Air or Pro ?

Do let us know how you get along. I have a 2013 15" Macbook Pro that i would like to replace one day soon...

I bought the MacBook Air 2020 space grey. I bought it from the Apple website and will receive it within 2 weeks, I’ll write a quick review about it on this post. I have high expectations for it and hope it’s a good investment.

Apple held a product launch event Tuesday, where it announced its first homemade chip for the Mac, the M1.

The company also introduced three new Macs powered by the chip: A new MacBook Air laptop, a new 13-inch MacBook Pro laptop and Mac Mini desktop computer. The designs look nearly identical to the current generation of each computer. Apple made several claims about the M1′s performance and how it’ll contribute to better battery life in the new Macs.

All three computers are available to order now and start shipping next week. The MacBook Air starts at $999, the MacBook Pro starts at $1,299 and the Mac Mini starts at $699.

Earlier this year, Apple announced its plans to use “Apple Silicon” in its laptops and desktop computers running the MacOS operating system. Apple has used Intel chips in its Mac computers since 2005. The transition means Apple will start using chips based on the same technology as the chips in iPhones and iPads. It also means Macs will be able to run apps originally developed for iPhones.

The event lasted under an hour. Apple ended with a cheeky skit bringing back the “I’m a PC” character, played by actor, author and comedian John Hodgman, whose ineffectual boasts about Windows’ capabilities are supposed to set up a stronger contrast with Apple.

CEO Tim Cook teased “more amazing experiences” coming next year.—Michelle Gao

There are three new Macs with Apple’s M1 chips. They go up for preorder on Tuesday and will go on sale next week.

Big Sur, the latest version of the MacOS operating system, will release on Thursday November 12 as a free update for current Mac owners, Apple said. That’s available for both older Macs based on Intel as well as Apple’s new M1 macs.

Here’s the starting prices for these computers:

MacBook Air: $999

13-inch MacBook Pro: $1299

Mac Mini: $699

Designed in the US and made in Taiwan or Korea, I guess.

Pro's and cons....

Memory in SOCs is very robust and hardly ever goes wrong.

As for memory upgrade options on M1, there is always the possibility of adding in extra memory via a dedicated port and we shall have to wait on this. Anyway very few people actually end up adding in extra RAM into their Apple devices and so the demand will not be that high for this upgrade.

So I received my Apple MacBook Air 2020 with the m1 chip today after 8 days. I’ve used it for a few hours and what I can say personally it’s a mile ahead of any MacBook I’ve previously used.I will need to use it more to judge its performance enitrely however I can already see the effects of the m1 chip. In my opinion if you are a student this is the best option for you however if you have time to wait you should defo wait for the 16 inch MacBook Pro or any other other later MacBook device with the m1 chip.
113FD6DE-ED4C-43B1-8023-54BE2961F0C7.jpeg
37916116-A39B-4084-8F2B-EB36DC1D06D9.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom