What's new

Apache, Chinook to serve IAF’s needs into future: Boeing

no sirji you are wrong according to indian reports IAF intends to buy 22+11 apaches while IA palns to buy similar numbers for there air arm with some 150+LCHs and apache can direct/guide wepons other air assets(helicopters and UAVs) on target (somthing what some calle sensor fusing/sharing) in a given combat zone so dont worry that(apache type avionicks) is coming sooner than later on all offensive air assets :cheers:

I guess you missed the "keeping in view the current needs and previous track record " part or just chose to ignore that :)
Anyway, best of luck with that plan.

I guess you missed the "keeping in view the current needs and previous track record " part or just chose to ignore that :)
Anyway, best of luck with that plan.
What is the previous track record can discuss some of that

but 22 apaches and 15 chinooks are way too less we need at least 3X the ammount minnimum:feminist:

These two deals come with follow-on clauses of 11 and 4 units respectively for Apaches and Chinooks. That is purely for the IAF. The IA is also pushing for (and has pretty much got MoD's permission) for 39 (plus follow-ons) Apaches of their own.

The number of Chinooks is going to go up many times for sure. BRO themselves require around 10 heavy-lift helos deputed to them year round and the MSC coming up in the East is going to be heavily airmobile, not to mention the SOCOM that is being raised has already been looking at the MH-47 (special operations version of the Chinook). 15 Chinooks are but a drop in the water.
Will HAL be interested in doing that? i mean that will make it a totally foreign tech project while the aim was to build an indigenous platform.

HAL will happily learn what lessons it can from the Apaches the Indian forces will by flying in large numbers and will make appropriate modifications to their products (not just the LCH) where required. Capability and performance is the number one driving force behind all indigenous projects in India, it is not simply good enough to have a "made in India" product if it doesn't meet the high standards of the Indian military- we have seen how they are all too willing to reject such equipment on this basis. HAL will not cut off their nose to spite their face, they are focused on performance above all else and if someone else is doing something better then they will take that under advisement.

Last edited:
HAL will happily learn what lessons it can from the Apaches the Indian forces will by flying in large numbers and will make appropriate modifications to their products (not just the LCH) where required. Capability and performance is the number one driving force behind all indigenous projects in India, it is not simply good enough to have a "made in India" product if it doesn't meet the high standards of the Indian military- we have seen how they are all too willing to reject such equipment on this basis. HAL will not cut off their nose to spite their face, they are focused on performance above all else and if someone else is doing something better then they will take that under advisement.

But wont that be waste of money? I mean that with LCH already on par with Apache as per some comments why spend millions to acquire RnD for similar platform? A bit contradictory suppose. AGAIN, i will like to mentioned that the looks of things there are bound to be more orders and the manufacturer will be more interested to bag them all for itself rather then sell the technology and sit back. It is just like the gold egg laying hen you see.

What is the previous track record can discuss some of that
How after decades of work on an indigenous project the Indian military end up importing one that is functional. Based on that there is a great chance that there will be follow up orders for attack helicopters, the American know that as well. They will want to expand there business for sure.

But wont that be waste of money? I mean that with LCH already on par with Apache as per some comments why spend millions to acquire RnD for similar platform?
The LCH scores extremely well in raw performance of the helicopter itself (service ceiling, rate of climb, thrust to weight ratio etc) especially against the Apache but the AH-64E the IAF (and later IA) are getting is by far the world's most advanced attack helicopter and in the age where electronics are just as (is not more) important as raw aicraft performance this is where the Apache can offer cues for HAL. It will be in cutting edge electronics where HAL can push the envelope with the LCH. This is not taking anything away from the LCH but the AH-64E is simply the result of successive upgrades carried out over decades at the behest of the most advanced military in the world.

To think the LCH/HAL can learn nothing from the AH-64E is beyond absurd.

AGAIN, i will like to mentioned that the looks of things there are bound to be more orders and the manufacturer will be more interested to bag them all for itself rather then sell the technology and sit back. It is just like the gold egg laying hen you see.

Irrelevent. Just by having the Apache in India's "stable" HAL will have plenty of access to it and will be able to learn whatever they need to.

How after decades of work on an indigenous project the Indian military end up importing one that is functional. Based on that there is a great chance that there will be follow up orders for attack helicopters, the American know that as well. They will want to expand there business for sure.
The LCH project was started barely 4 years ago, I don't know where this nonsensical "decades" figure comes into the picture.

And the LCH will compliment the Apache and vice versa, this is not an "either or" scenario- both the Apache and LCH will fly alongside each other.

one that just had its first flight after decades!
oh boy so much jealousy................where you have got this fukking decades ............first flight of LCH happened only in mid 2010 considering that today in mid 2015 its only 5 years had passed

And in need Lch is capable in terms of performance comparable to Apache.............only in case of payload and electronics is what its behind,though its uses JEDEYES which is good enough for IA and IAF but then again one is heavy and another is light ...........in case of electronics if we can get help in EW and FCR is what being discussed here

AND FYI LCH WILL BE GETTING IOC THIS YEAR and total number of order is 114 (IA) + 65(IAF) = 179 LCHs

The LCH scores extremely well in raw performance of the helicopter itself (service ceiling, rate of climb, thrust to weight ratio etc) especially against the Apache but the AH-64E the IAF (and later IA) are getting is by far the world's most advanced attack helicopter and in the age where electronics are just as (is not more) important as raw aicraft performance this is where the Apache can offer cues for HAL. It will be in cutting edge electronics where HAL can push the envelope with the LCH.

Seriously? comparing LCH with Apache AH-64E? I wont say/comment anything on that because unfortunately to eyes of your fellow members anything a Pakistani will say is out of jealousy. I understand that there is absolutely no sense of reading a comment and judging it on merit in some members here. However hey do seem to believe that foul language makes there posts look better!! So they can have it that way, there are rules for such things and they will be dealt by concerned accordingly.

To think the LCH/HAL can learn nothing from the AH-64E is beyond absurd
Anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool. However, do note that it is only as absurd as thinking that instead of selling India helicopters they will simply give the tech for RnD of LCH. THIS IS WHAT was being claimed.

Irrelevent. Just by having the Apache in India's "stable" HAL will have plenty of access to it and will be able to learn whatever they need to.
How?
Do you seriously think that it works this way? if that was the case then our JF-17 is in fact influenced by F-16? if that was they case then what kept LCA on ground for years while there were the very best planes there for IAF and HAL to study?
I am not saying that apache wont give a brilliant technological in sight but saying that it will help LCH become an apache is not right not matter how long we debate on that.

The LCH project was started barely 4 years ago, I don't know where this nonsensical "decades" figure comes into the picture.
I am sorry but you can check that the program started in 2004

And the LCH will compliment the Apache and vice versa, this is not an "either or" scenario- both the Apache and LCH will fly alongside each other
Sure they will, who is doubting that?

Back
Top Bottom