What's new

Any motorcycle riders out here? Want to post photos of your rides?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First snowflakes of the season expected this Sunday :(

aVXRy1y_460s.jpg

@Syed.Ali.Haider @Abu Zolfiqar

How do you guys store tyres (unmounted ones). Either new or taken off the rims to try on different ones (either terrain or weather specific).

One of our tyre companies wants me to test a new set they have developed and I will need to take off the current ones on my bike - which are super sticky, very nice, very expensive tyres, with more than half their life left in terms of rubber and tread depth.

Thanks in advance for your advice. Thought of asking you two since both of you ride big bikes and would be used to expensive rubber.

Also, how long is it ok to store tyres in this manner without the tyre rubber degrading (hardening, cracking, losing flex, stickiness) or tyre getting warped/flat spotting?

@Syed.Ali.Haider @Abu Zolfiqar

How do you guys store tyres (unmounted ones). Either new or taken off the rims to try on different ones (either terrain or weather specific).

One of our tyre companies wants me to test a new set they have developed and I will need to take off the current ones on my bike - which are super sticky, very nice, very expensive tyres, with more than half their life left in terms of rubber and tread depth.

Thanks in advance for your advice. Thought of asking you two since both of you ride big bikes and would be used to expensive rubber.

I store the unmounted tires vertically, in a plastic bag, in a cool and dark place like the basement, with a dehumidifier to keep the humidity low. I do not hang the tires from a peg or stack them flat.

Last edited:
I store the unmounted tires vertically, in a plastic bag, in a cool and dark place like the basemen, with a dehumidifier to keep the humidity low. I do not hang the tires from a peg or stack them flat.

Do you keep rotating them at intervals?

How long can you keep them like this? How long did you keep them like this before re-mounting them (assuming they were used ones and not new)?

How did they feel when remounted? Any change in grip?

Do you keep rotating them at intervals?

How long can you keep them like this? How long did you keep them like this before re-mounting them (assuming they were used ones and not new)?

How did they feel when remounted? Any change in grip?

I usually put on a fresh set twice a year, so I do not store them long enough to rotate them. If keeping them longer than a few months, I would mark them and rotate 90 degrees every two months or so. If stored properly, the tires work just fine when remounted.

Lol yes .... weekend warrioring, which I do.

So that's like 5000 x 2 miles per year???

Something like that. The type of riding determines tire wear more than the mileage. For example, I wore out the OEM set of tires on the KLR in just 1500 miles, but a lot of it was tough off road riding with reduced pressures. The FJR is a heavy bike that eats tires like crazy in the twisties, but slowly if slabbing down the highway. As the tires flatten and cup, the handling changes and becomes imprecise in the turns, requiring constant corrections, which I do not like. Leaned over hard at triple digit speeds on a 700 pound bike with your head a few feet from the pavement is no place to accept sloppy handling. :D

Last edited:
I am grounded from motorcycle but I some time manager to ride my 49cc scooter lol
Derbi 2 stroke I love it it reminds of my Vespa .
ImageUploadedByDefence.pk1445603670.951362.jpg
ImageUploadedByDefence.pk1445603710.601856.jpg
ImageUploadedByDefence.pk1445603734.934291.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom