What's new

Antony says Indian Army has enough artillery guns

Lankan Ranger

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Antony says Indian Army has enough artillery guns

Defence Minister AK Antony informed the Lok Sabha on Monday that the Indian Army has adequate arms and equipment, including artillery gun systems, to defend the borders of the country.

He also said that the government was giving priority to equipping the artillery units with modern weapon systems.

Antony's statement, in a written reply to questions from MPS, comes in the backdrop of the army having failed to procure even a single new artillery system since it procured the 410 Bofors 155mm guns in 1987 and the subsequent 1,000-gun order from the then Swedish firm AB Bofors was also stalled due to allegations of kick-backs in the deal that hit the then Rajiv Gandhi government.

"Arms and equipment including gun systems in the Indian artillery are available in adequate quantity. Modernisation of artillery, which entails replacement of the equipment of older technology, is an on-going process and is being given priority to ensure that the artillery remains equipped with modern weapons systems," he said.

Antony also noted that there was "no significant problems" in the existing gun systems. "However, the shortages of certain types/components of ammunition as and when reported, have been addressed adequately," he added.

The defence minister said India had obtained the technologies for the Bofors guns transferred to the ordnance factories.

"Though further dealing with AB Bofors was suspended, the Ordnance Factory Board (OFB) has been manufacturing the major components of the gun, such as barrel, breach mechanism, muzzle break, loading trough, recoil system along with the elevating and traversing cylinders, and supplying to the army as spares," he said.

Noting that OFB has indigenised the ammunition required for the Bofors guns, Antony said it has been supplying them to the army on a regular basis.

Antony said the government had prepared a long-term action plan for upgrading and modernising the artillery, which is underway to cater to the requirements projects by the army.

"In terms of this plan, several major weapon systems are in the process of being procured," he said, refusing to divulge more details in national interest.

India is in the process of procuring four types of artillery guns. The Indian Army's artillery needs 1,580 155mm 53calibre towed guns, 180 155mm 52calibre wheeled and self-propelled guns, 145 155mm 39calibre ultralight howitzers and another 100 155mm 52calibre tracked guns.

Some of them are caught up in red tape due to complaints of procurement procedural lapses by rival defence firms, still others are in limbo due to black-listing of the foreign companies that want to sell these weapons system to India.

Antony says Indian Army has enough artillery guns :: Parda Phash

As soon as i saw the topic i did nt care to read

Did antony personally inspects all of the artillery or might have fired 2 or 3 shells

such claim are BS

last time i heard that indian army artillery program was in really bad shape

India is in the process of procuring four types of artillery guns. The Indian Army's artillery needs 1,580 155mm 53calibre towed guns, 180 155mm 52calibre wheeled and self-propelled guns, 145 155mm 39calibre ultralight howitzers and another 100 155mm 52calibre tracked guns.
And he says that the Indian Army has adequate arms and equipment, including artillery gun systems, to defend the borders of the country? What's this guy smoking?

Defence Minister AK Antony informed the Lok Sabha on Monday that the Indian Army has adequate arms and equipment, including artillery gun systems, to defend the borders of the country.
WTF... Is he talking about Chines or Pakistani army then he is true but if he thinks that IA has sufficient artillery then i think he should resign...

would u like me to call prime minister

i ve his number wat was it 9324.......

oh! damn i forget !!!!!!

now he will sell this BS claim throughout his tenure

India can buy tanks, planes & submarines without much problem..but all hell breaks loose when buying a long metal tube.

this is happened because of that BOFORS gotala

congress cant resist another scam

"Arms and equipment including gun systems in the Indian artillery are available in adequate quantity. Modernisation of artillery, which entails replacement of the equipment of older technology, is an on-going process and is being given priority to ensure that the artillery remains equipped with modern weapons systems,"

What Antony is Saying is True Fact !! Indian Army Has More than 4000 Artillery Pieces including MRL,Howitzers,SP Artillery and Field Guns !! Even More than 5000 but most of Them Not being in Good Service Repair and Maintenance

Not to forget All of This Artillery are Old and There has been no New Purchase in More than 25 Years if we Leave Induction of Indigenous MRL's Like Pinaka !

So In a Sense we have Artillery in Adequate Numbers Considering Western Border [The Artillery Deployment Seriously Lacks on Eastern Front]

But Major Upgradation and New Purchase are Needed Considering Many of this Guns Being in Bad Maintenance Condition !!

The Artillery Purchase should Be Fast Tracked and OFB Should field the 155 mm Gun ASAP

this is happened because of that BOFORS gotala

congress cant resist another scam

My suspicion is that old skeletons will tumble out of the closet(read Bofors) if another artillery deal is attempted. So Kangress want to delay the artillery deal until DRDO develops their own gun.

---------- Post added at 10:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 AM ----------

You can borrow all the long non/metal tubes from Pakistan.......after all we gave you MFN (most Fuckable Nation) status....

Nah...inferior quality.

My suspicion is that old skeletons will tumble out of the closet(read Bofors) if another artillery deal is attempted. So Kangress want to delay the artillery deal until DRDO develops their own gun.

---------- Post added at 10:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 AM ----------

Nah...inferior quality.

So you tried.........thats why we call you gay hind.....

Is it a rocket science to understand that we havent inducted field guns and artillery for more than two decades now so obviously the hardware would not be any thing more than junk... I have no idea what the defence minister meant exactly :O

You can borrow all the long non/metal tubes from Pakistan.......after all we gave you MFN (most Fuckable Nation) status....

which we conferred to you way back in 1995 LOL !!

So you tried.........thats why we call you gay hind.....

and we call you bagistan !!

peace !!

What an idiotic comment. This is a manifestation of intellectual bankruptcy and poor upbringing! Thank God most Pakistanis are more courteous than this imbecile.

Needless to say, the mods would be giving this clown a thumbs up for his crass comment instead of banning the heck out of him! This is a Pakistani forum, right? If it was an Indian who made this comment, he would've been taken to the cleaners by now! Sheeesh! :tdown:

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom