What's new

Antisubmarine aircraft P-3C Orion and P-8I Neptune - Best Pics i have seen till date

For PN it was a far better idea to make up a deal with Australia to buy all of the P-3Cs and C-130s about some years ago. Also upgrading them locally at PAC with US or EU bought avionics with local systems too.

For PN it was a far better idea to make up a deal with Australia to buy all of the P-3Cs and C-130s about some years ago. Also upgrading them locally at PAC with US or EU bought avionics with local systems too.

Arey, Nishan_101; you're back again.... hunh? :lol:

ou mean Kawasaki P-1? yes they are awesome too.
Yes
APz2kbI.jpg

the Kawasaki P-1 next to the Boeing P-8 Poseidon.
JMSDF_XP-1_TRDI_Atsugi4974.jpg

with p-3c

I was lucky to get these pics browsing. Inherently, the newness of the P8I and the detail with which the author Andrew took snaps of it was commendable. I am sure, when the bird reaches their destination at A&N or anywhere within India, we cant get cool snaps like these taken by Andrew. It is such delightful things which makes my heart feel so happy....

Yes if we could get inside pics also it would be nice but i think its a bit too much to ask for. Hopefully if i locate it anywhere i would surely post that too..

Brother
Not quite true.
The aircraft; whether the P-8 or the P-3 do not have to slow down to pin-point location of the Sub. They both slow down, only to increase the on-station time by decreasing fuel consumption; this is called "loitering". Rather the P-8; because of its propulsion is able to reach the designated Patrol Area quicker than the P-3. So far as detection/pin-pointing the target/adversary is concerned; its the "Spook Gear" on board that does all the work, its hardly as if the Crew eye-ball the sub and shouts out "Sub Ahoy" while circling slowly! :D
Its a simply a no-brainer that the P-8 is a generation more advanced than the P-3. That should help you to put things into perspective.
The two aren't even in the same boat. One is the replacement of the other. If P-8 doesn't slow down, it's probably
because it doesn't need to slow down - the sensors on P8 are generations ahead of P3.

Brother,

For pin point accuracy u need to be slow at your approach ! and as we all knew submarine detection is quite difficult, and after detecting subs, if a plane, need to travel 30 or odd KM's for returning to that point, then in that crucial period of time, you will not able to find traced sub again.

so in my opinion, detecting subs is easier for P3's. and most of the world still using propeller operated planes for that purpose.

But the advantage of P-8's have because they have jet engines to hitting them from ship is difficult, because of their higher speeds as compere to P3's.

Brother

Brother,

For pin point accuracy u need to be slow at your approach ! and as we all knew submarine detection is quite difficult, and after detecting subs, if a plane, need to travel 30 or odd KM's for returning to that point, then in that crucial period of time, you will not able to find traced sub again.

so in my opinion, detecting subs is easier for P3's. and most of the world still using propeller operated planes for that purpose.

But the advantage of P-8's have because they have jet engines to hitting them from ship is difficult, because of their higher speeds as compere to P3's.

Again....
Let me tell you that speed has NOTHING to do with ACCURACY, but is only related to ENDURANCE.
Its all the equipment on board that have everything to do with the accuracy of location/ classification of the target, that is where the "Generational upgradation" of the P-8 scores over the P-3, why on earth is the USN replacing the P-3s with the P-8s then?

By your logic then, a Helo will be more accurate than either the P-8 or P-3, because it is even much slower.... but that is not so, as we know.

Again....
Let me tell you that speed has NOTHING to do with ACCURACY, but is only related to ENDURANCE.
Its all the equipment on board that have everything to do with the accuracy of location/ classification of the target, that is where the "Generational upgradation" of the P-8 scores over the P-3, why on earth is the USN replacing the P-3s with the P-8s then?

By your logic then, a Helo will be more accurate than either the P-8 or P-3, because it is even much slower.... but that is not so, as we know.

Heli's are still better option, brother but the problem with heli's are their limited capability of flying. Heli's not able to fly more than 2-3 hours.
I agree with you about the generation Gap.

But u also have to keep in mind, that flying at very low in sea's are not very option for any jet.

Heli's are still better option, brother but the problem with heli's are their limited capability of flying. Heli's not able to fly more than 2-3 hours.
I agree with you about the generation Gap.

But u also have to keep in mind, that flying at very low in sea's are not very option for any jet.

Let me tell you that the P-8 will and is being flown at altitudes of 200 ft and below. That is a requirement that the IN specified along with the MAD. Just read through the accompanying notes with the photographs in the first two posts on this thread, they will confirm what I'm saying. The P-8s are configured to fly low and slow too, even on a single engine.

And all the disadvantages of Helos in this role; are well known though they can hover nearly just above wave-height.

AN/APY-10 primary radar/SAR
1164.jpg

AN/APS-143(v)3 OceanEye rear-facing radar
AN_APR143.jpg

Only the IN version has the rear-facing radar.

Brother

Brother,

Well most of the world is replacing P-3 Orions for a reason. Japan, USA, Australia, UK etc all are replacing it with either P-8s or P-1s. And for your info P-8s can fly slow and low too but in modern world sub detection dont require that with modern generation sensors.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom