What's new

Another HAL's IJT crash lands on its belly. project in trouble.

Myth_buster_1

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
7bc09201ca4017250192ed48d2bf68f4.jpg

BANGALORE: In a setback to the Hindustan Aeronautics Limiteds (HAL) Intermediate Jet Trainer (IJT) programme, the Prototype Trainer Two (PT2), landed on its belly at the HAL airport here on Wednesday evening after a routine aerobatic sortie. The programme is already delayed by four years, The sortie was undertaken as part of the preparations for the next weeks Aero India 2009 air show here. The aircraft was piloted by HALs Executive Director - Chief Test Pilot (Fixed Wing) Squadron Leader Baldev Singh (retd.) and Wing Commander C. Subramaniam, an Indian Air Force fighter pilot on deputation to HAL.

Eyewitnesses said the aircraft appeared to do a normal touch-down, rolled and then the wheels started retracting, forcing it to land on its belly. Landing speed Initial indications are that the landing speed of the aircraft could have been a shade too fast, prompting the pilots to try and retract the undercarriage, and do a touch and go as the aircraft was likely to overshoot the runway. There were suggestions that one of the tyres could have burst during landing, resulting in brake failure. A court of inquiry, headed by Benji Mammen, HALs Chief of Project, Light Combat Aircraft, has been set up to look into the incident. There was structural damage to the undercarriage and belly, the doors and one of the wing tips. HALs only chance of showcasing the IJT at the air show now rests on PT1, the prototype that suffered a crash in February 2007 (during Aero India 2007) when the canopy opened just before take-off.

The PTI, which has not been flown since then, was recently fitted with the Russian AL-55I engine. While one ground run with the AL-55I (I for Indian) is over it is yet to get airborne.
Meant to be the backbone of the IAFs combat pilot training programme, the IJT programme was sanctioned by the government in 1999. Making its first flight in March 2003, it was meant to replace the IAFs workhorse, Kiran. Around 225 HJT-36s are to be produced, serving the IAF, the Navy as well as the Air Forces Surya Kiran aerobatic team.

:lol:

So what is your point..It had a problem with tyres ..so what is there for laugh..?

So what is your point..It had a problem with tyres ..so what is there for laugh..?

Jani that is a structural problem, i wish u had a brain: :hitwall:, thats the reasdon fir laugh;)

Jani that is a structural problem, i wish u had a brain: :hitwall:, thats the reasdon fir laugh;)
Are jaani bade bade desho me aisi choti choti bathein hothe hi rehthi hey..If one can laugh on those structual problems then we should cancel laughter shows in indian channels..

india has only 2 prototypes, one crash landed exactly 2 years ago and now this.
one had a canopy open just before take-off and the other crash landed exactly 2 years later with tire burst. it seems like february seems to be a bad luck year for IJT.

Is Aero-India unlucky for IJT or something?

2 accidents of IJT, both during Aero-India!

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom