What's new

Anna Hazare wins, Parliament passes resolution on Lokpal Bill

IS Anna Hazare associated with any Major political party?

No he is not he is a social activist!And a person who believe on gandhian ideology in and out!

would he run for elections and if so what are the chances of him winning a general election???

Unfortunatly for us, currently he is not assosiated with any political party! But i wish like millions of Indian that he should form a party, and beleive me he do so,Then he will WIN by the biggest margin of votes ever in history of India.!

Just a thought. The current fast started with three demands:

1. JLP must be passed by the Parliament, without any amendments.

2. The Bill must not be sent to the Parliamentary Committee

3. The Bill must be passed at the earliest but not after 30th August.

After all the drama, what happened? Government adopted a 'sense of the House' (not even a 'resolution') to remit to the Standing Committee, which is already considering the Govt. Lokpal Bill, 3 issues:

1. Citizen's Charter

2. Including lower bureaucracy within the ambit of LP, subject to suitability

3. Appointment of Lokayukt in the States.

What kind of victory is that? If anything, it is a face saving exit for both the Govt. and Anna's team.

Lol...How else do you bargain in India?

Both the government and Team Anna came to an understanding. Team Anna got what they wanted. Their three demands were the most important ones. Others include Judicial Accountability (which will come under another bill) and inclusion of the PM (which I think should be secondary demand and can be incorporated later). Rest of the things are already in the government draft bill. Thats why its a victory of team Anna.

No he is not he is a social activist!And a person who believe on gandhian ideology in and out!

Unfortunatly for us, currently he is not assosiated with any political party! But i wish like millions of Indian that he should form a party, and beleive me he do so,Then he will WIN by the biggest margin of votes ever in history of India.!

I would beg to differ. If he were associated to any political party he would have not gotten this kind of a response from the people. Also as much as we want him to carry on he has very few years ahead of him. What would happen to the party he forms after he is gone is not known? Look at the Congress right now. Atleast as civil activist he will be away from all this mess and have a large public support because of his moral authority.

the punishment for corruption should be execution that will send a message to the corrupt monkeys bleeding the nation from the inside

idc if its a village bureaucrat asking for a 5rs bribe or the PM asking for kickbacks to secure arms deal COUGH COUGH COUGH RAJIV GANDHI COUGH whoever is corrupt put a bullet between there eyes

the punishment for corruption should be execution that will send a message to the corrupt monkeys bleeding the nation from the inside

idc if its a village bureaucrat asking for a 5rs bribe or the PM asking for kickbacks to secure arms deal COUGH COUGH COUGH RAJIV GANDHI COUGH whoever is corrupt put a bullet between there eyes

IF the punishment for corruption is execution then there will be very few people in this country.Sorry to say that corruption is in our blood.Punishing corrupt is needed but nabbing a corrupt person whoever it may is difficult.A police personal asking for bribe fully understands that if he were caught there will be consequences but what making him corrupt is that he filly knows nobody is going to nab him this must be changed.HOPE it will happen.

Watch this dhongi Swami talking against Team Anna to Kapil Sibal

Last edited by a moderator:
I would beg to differ. If he were associated to any political party he would have not gotten this kind of a response from the people. Also as much as we want him to carry on he has very few years ahead of him. What would happen to the party he forms after he is gone is not known? Look at the Congress right now. Atleast as civil activist he will be away from all this mess and have a large public support because of his moral authority.

Good point but by the looks of it Anna hazare comes as a positive and innocent man,
He reminds me of the film Apaharan 2005 social activist Professor Raghuvansh Shastri played by actor Mohan Agashe.

The decency and credibility of the character is questioned throughout the movie which makes it an ideal film for solid stories.
If you haven’t seen the full film then you won’t understand the post.

Best thing he can do to avoid making deals raw with politicians is to set up his own party comprised of people with thoughts and moral values. That way chances are he will be successful.

Apaharan (2005) *BluRay* 1080P - Hindi Movie - Part 1 - YouTube

The Lokpal will definitely reduce corruption but upto what extent we have to see. I am hoping for the best. The overwhelming support for the movement is not because of Anna and definitely not for the people like Kiran Bedi but to fight the great menace to India, corruption.

Loved this...
Hazare2_758362g.jpg

some more.....
Hazare1_758361g.jpg

ANNA_SL_HYDERABAD_1_757902g.jpg

28IN_ANNA_1_767216g.jpg

28IN_RAMLILA_767218g.jpg

28IN_RAMLILA2_767219g.jpg

28IN_RAJGHAT_767220g.jpg

I had seen yesterday Lalu addressing Sansad and first thought hit my mind was we had chosen these fools to govern us

@toxic_pus

I am also skeptical of many provisions of jan lokpal which is i think have enough good reasons to called Chokepal.

But while currently there is zero chance of independent monitoring corruption dealings , investigation and persecution of corruptionrelated cases .

A strong lokpal even if it goes 99% corrupt and inefficient , there'll be still one percent good job done by Lokpal which is better than today's score zero.

I must say I am against the idea of a Lokpal being a statutory body. The ultimate power of abolishing the Lokapl if need be should be with the parliament. Getting a 2/3 consensus might become difficult when Lokpal become all powerful.

Anna Hazare's movement - a reality check for India

Anna Hazare is no stranger to hunger strikes. The activist's fast at Delhi's sprawling Ramlila grounds was his 16th since 1980. But, at 13 days, it was his longest. It was also his most significant ever.

He took on India's troubled government by demanding the setting up of a powerful anti-corruption ombudsman, or Lokpal, with sweeping powers to investigate every part of the government. By the time he ended his fast, the former army lorry driver-turned-activist had galvanised large numbers of Indians in the "war against corruption" and become a national figure.

Mr Hazare's move came a day after MPs expressed support for his proposals. He has made it clear that he is merely suspending his agitation. "I will not rest," he says, "until all the changes that I look to are achieved."

India's excitable media are saying Mr Hazare's movement heralds a new beginning, and that this is a huge victory for the campaigner. It may still be early days to come to this hearty conclusion. Both Mr Hazare and the government have walked away from this episode with important lessons.

Mr Hazare's movement has been criticised by many for being virulently anti-political and striving to bypass parliament by putting unreasonable demands on it. It has also been questioned for making a veritable messiah out of the campaigner - 'Anna is India, India is Anna", said one of his aides - and giving birth to a thriving personality which made Mr Hazare sometimes appear more like a televangelist than an activist.

The protest sometimes seemed to degrade into a soap opera, with people of dubious credentials invading Mr Hazare's stage and making incendiary speeches against politicians as onlookers cheered lustily. It had, many say, some disturbing strands of nihilism.

On the other hand, Mr Hazare's movement has humbled India's entire political class by bringing the issue of corruption under a dazzling spotlight. An anti-corruption law has been in the works for the last four decades - surely an embarrassing record for a country which calls itself the world's largest democracy.

India's government stands shamed by the street in a movement which spread from being merely an expression of middle class frustration against corruption into something more expansive. Mr Hazare appears to be "everything the prime minister and his ministers are not - courageous, independent-minded, willing to stake his life for a principle", wrote historian Ramachandhra Guha.

So the calling off of Mr Hazare's fast is not an unqualified victory for any side. It is actually a climbdown for both. Mr Hazare had wanted his version of the anti-corruption bill to be passed by the parliament by the end of August. A harried - and haughty - government had categorically ruled out putting the prime minister and all federal employees under the ambit of the proposed ombudsman, among other things.

Both sides have climbed down from their extreme positions. The government has promised a tough anti-corruption ombudsman which India so direly needs. There is also a growing realisation that a powerful ombudsman will not be a panacea to cure India of its brazen corruption perpetuated by its politicians, businessmen, police, judges and government employees.

More than anything else, India needs sweeping institutional and electoral reforms, something which politicians and bureaucrats have resisted, and show no signs of relenting on. When it comes to corruption, India has been a country of lofty pronouncements and virtually no action.

The good news about Mr Hazare's movement is the triumph of Indian democracy. As many commentators said, Mr Hazare's movement has been a victory for people. It proved that lobbying for better and stronger laws is no longer the preserve of politicians, NGOs [non-governmental organisations] and businessmen. Activism became mainstream.

This is the coming of the age of the Indian street in the cities and small towns as people demand more from their politicians. It is a warning, as a friend says, to the venal political class, which is largely seen to be lazy, corrupt and disconnected.

Mr Hazare's movement is a much-needed reality check for India. It is also just the beginning of a long struggle against corruption, which has sunk very deep roots in one of the world's most unequal and hierarchical societies

BBC News - Anna Hazare's movement - a reality check for India

^^^^ India needed a strong anti-corruption law. But the question is do we had a better way than this to get the law?

Back
Top Bottom