What's new

Anna Hazare released from jail after India-wide protests, begins fasting

Jan Lokapl Bill

• Total voters
The reason it has not been passed is because the concept of the Lokpal is unviable and stupid in the first place. How can you give such powers to one person, and more importantly, who selects him/her?

I believe 'Lokpal' is supposed to be a committee of persons rather than just one person. More like election commission.

Are Kalmadi and Sharad Pawar NOT the elected representatives in Lok Sabha? Have they NOT been voted into power by a majority of people in their constituencies? How else do you define the will of the people?

Who is Anna Hazare anyways? If he enjoys popular support, why doesn't he stand for elections?

Don't be so arrogant of your power.
People selected likes of these once, and i guarantee you they are not going to be selected ever again.

The reason it has not been passed is because the concept of the Lokpal is unviable and stupid in the first place. How can you give such powers to one person, and more importantly, who selects him/her?

More laziness. You didn't even bother to read the Bill. Lokpal is not an individual but an institution :rolleyes:

Now you are talking like a congress spokesperson misleading everyone.
Lokpal office would be a group of people who would take decision toagther. It wont be one man based office.

The government is desperate to ensure that situation doesn't get worse for them.

Govt may talk to Anna Hazare, PM discusses with Cabinet colleagues

Govt may talk to Anna Hazare, PM discusses with Cabinet colleagues - The Economic Times

NEW DELHI: With social activist Anna Hazare undertaking fast-unto-death for Jan Lokpal Bill, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh today discussed with some Cabinet colleagues the issue after which indications emerged that one or two ministers could be nominated to talk to him.

Singh discussed the matter with some ministers soon after the Cabinet meeting here, sources told PTI.

The general sense at the informal confabulations was that there was a need to defuse the situation that had arisen due to the fast-unto-death campaign launched yesterday which is getting support from the increasing number of people, the sources said.

Finally, a sensible article. This was in today's Business Standard:

The Hazare hazard

Social activist Anna Hazare wants an equal number of self-proclaimed civil society activists to be part of an official committee drafting a new Lok Pal Bill. “There should be as many representatives of government as there are of the people” is his submission. Hello? What is a government in a democracy if not an extension of the will of the people? Can self-appointed do-gooders, however well meaning, usurp the role of “representatives of the people” without due process of election? Mr Hazare is a good man. Unfortunately, he is “fasting unto death” for a wrong cause. The idea of a Lok Pal, an anti-corruption ombudsman, based on a Scandinavian model, was a bad one when it was first mooted in the mid-1960s and remains a bad one 40-odd years later. The creation of the institution of a Lok Ayukta at the state level has not helped reduce corruption in state governments, so a new Lok Pal at the national level is unlikely to do a better job at the central government level. The recent experience with the nomination of the Central Vigilance Commissioner shows that it is individuals rather than institutions that matter and there is no guarantee that a Lok Pal will necessarily inspire confidence and be effective. No one will deny that the problem of corruption in high places needs to be dealt with. There is no better way of doing this than strengthening existing institutions of democracy, including the legislature, the judiciary, the executive and even the media. Greater transparency in the functioning of these institutions will reduce corruption in public life. No Lok Pal can do what members of the four estates of the nation cannot and will not do.

It is a pity that despite the obvious shortcomings of this idea, it has been floated repeatedly. Bills have been repeatedly tabled in Parliament and successive governments, comprising almost all political parties in India today, have repeatedly spoken in favour of it, without doing anything about it. Somebody must call a spade a spade. The Lok Pal Bill should be buried, not kept alive by a threat of a fast unto death, even by a well-intentioned person like Mr Hazare.

It is tragic that an assortment of non-accountable activists, publicity-seeking busybodies and an assortment of do-gooders have all managed to push the gentle Mr Hazare into going on a fast unto death. No government in a democracy can approve of such blackmail. Merely because Mahatma Gandhi used a fast unto death as a means of exerting pressure on an alien, colonial government does not mean that in a democracy such tactics can be tolerated, much less eulogised. The situation in which the government finds itself is partly of the ruling party’s own making. By elevating the status of non-government organisations (NGOs) that are not accountable to anyone, and by not activating its own cadres on development and other issues of public concern, the Congress party has given a larger-than-life role to NGO leaders. Nothing should be done, even in the name of fighting corruption, that can weaken the Indian state and the office of the head of government, who is the embodiment of national sovereignty and answerable only to Parliament. If necessary, Mr Hazare should be force-fed and hospitalised, but not allowed to browbeat an elected government of the people.

The Hazare hazard

Not sensible.....after seeing how media in India can be easily manipulated ....it looks like this gov't is pulling every tick it has in the book! I agree its not wise to fast to death and hold a gov't hostage.....but not passing a crucial bill for 47 yrs is matter FAR, FAR WORSE......IT IS NOT ONLY AN INJUSTICE, ITS A CRIME AGAINST THE MILLIONS OF INDIANS WHO SUFFERED GREATLY DUE TO THE CORRUPTION OF OUR POLITICIANS AND SUCH. WHAT MAKES IT WORSE, IS THAT WE CANNOT BLAME FOREIGNERS, ONLY OUR OWN BABUS FOR THIS.......so to the editors of this article plz FACk off

Are Kalmadi and Sharad Pawar NOT the elected representatives in Lok Sabha? Have they NOT been voted into power by a majority of people in their constituencies? How else do you define the will of the people?

Who is Anna Hazare anyways? If he enjoys popular support, why doesn't he stand for elections?

Umm yeah, sure our democracy is perfect and flawless :rolleyes:

I means seriously, what was the need of protesting when Indira Gandhi declared an emergency, after all she was an elected representative right? Emeergency was completely in the bounds of our Constitution

Read this for more info
nrXcz.jpg

I believe 'Lokpal' is supposed to be a committee of persons rather than just one person. More like election commission.

Ok then, let me rephrase my question. What should be the composition of the committee?

Don't be so arrogant of your power.
People selected likes of these once, and i guarantee you they are not going to be selected ever again.

Lol, buddy, I don't have any powers. I'm just bringing all of you back to reality.

And people like these have been selected FOREVER. If I'm not wrong, Sharad Powar has been continuously been elected to public bodies since 1967.

Ok then, let me rephrase my question. What should be the composition of the committee?

Lol, buddy, I don't have any powers. I'm just bringing all of you back to reality.

And people like these have been selected FOREVER. If I'm not wrong, Sharad Powar has been continuously been elected to public bodies since 1967.

If you are actually so curious to know about this whole bill, then all you have to do is to go to the post no.-15 of this very thread.

And if your purpose is only to mislead people here, and defend these ruling bastards. then dont bother to reply to this.

Plz do us a favour...dont post in the thread....

You do not bother to get minimum idea about it before posting....

Buy or borrow a book of 'Public Administration' and educate yourself first...atleast about this particular issue...

2plus2is4 ...stop trolling and instead of stopping this movement....help it.....Aren't you against Corruption or do you like it? It seems you make it a point to take the air out of this movement.....you troll.

Not sensible.....after seeing how media in India can be easily manipulated ....it looks like this gov't is pulling every tick it has in the book! I agree its not wise to fast to death and hold a gov't hostage.....but not passing a crucial bill for 47 yrs is matter FAR, FAR WORSE......IT IS NOT ONLY AN INJUSTICE, ITS A CRIME AGAINST THE MILLIONS OF INDIANS WHO SUFFERED GREATLY DUE TO THE CORRUPTION OF OUR POLITICIANS AND SUCH. WHAT MAKES IT WORSE, IS THAT WE CANNOT BLAME FOREIGNERS, ONLY OUR OWN BABUS FOR THIS.......so to the editors of this article plz FACk off

Please buddy, control your emotions. You are being easily manipulated by the very same media ......

Sharad Powar will be bought down for sure this time.

Long live Anna Hazare.
This protest is not about Sharad Powar. If he goes, he is going to be replaced by one another corruption politician. In fact this isnt about any specific politician/party.

The goal of this movement is very specific - Include 50% representation from civil society & 50% politico bas**** as part of the ombudsman dealing with corruption. Thats the end goal. And as as immediate milestone include 50% civilian representation as part of the committee which is set up by govt to frame the bill.

Plz do us a favour...dont post in the thread....

You do not bother to get minimum idea about it before posting....

Buy or borrow a book of 'Public Administration' and educate yourself first...atleast about this particular issue...

2plus2is4 ...stop trolling and instead of stopping this movement....help it.....Aren't you against Corruption or do you like it? It seems you make it a point to take the air out of this movement.....you troll.

Rather than indulging in name calling or disdain, it would be benificial if you could point out to specific issues which we can debate upon. Thanx.

Now you are talking like a congress spokesperson misleading everyone.
Lokpal office would be a group of people who would take decision toagther. It wont be one man based office.

Please do not bring 'Congress-BJP' in it. You may consider him a congress or he may think you a BJP supporter. We have nothing against or in favour of any political party. We need a fullproof system which can keep check on our rulers.....BJP or Cong or Maoists...doesnt matter...

Back
Top Bottom