What's new

Angela Merkel approves Germany's first minimum wage

Gabriel92

Reaction score
Country
France
8,50 € in Germany ... 9,53€ in our country..... (since 1st january 2014) and €11.10 in Luxembourg..

BBC News - Angela Merkel approves Germany's first minimum wage

German Chancellor Angela Merkel has approved the country's first minimum wage, at 8.50 euros an hour, to start in 2015.

At the moment, the country is one of seven in the 28-nation EU without a minimum wage level.

Germany has relied on trade unions and business groups to fix pay instead.

Mrs Merkel's conservative Christian Democrats approved the change as part of a power-sharing deal with the Social Democrats (SPD).

The SPD was in favour of the move, but the conservative CDU and CSU parties had been keen to keep the status quo.

'Workers' dignity back'
Parliament is expected to debate the proposal this summer. It will then move to the upper house for approval in September.

Economists said higher wages in Europe's biggest economy could help people spend more and stimulate the economy, promoting economic growth.

The SPD's labour market policy spokesperson, Katja Mast, said: "Labour has got its dignity back with a fair payment of 8.50 euros, whether in the East or West and with no industry exceptions."

But the wage does not cover minors, interns, trainees or long-term unemployed people for their first six months at work.

Some employers, such as those using temporary or seasonal, workers, will have two years to phase in the new minimum wage.

For the rest of Germany's employers, the regulations will come into effect on 1 January 2015. The wage will be reviewed annually from 1 January 2018.

Last edited:
The greedy Lufthansa Pilots earning 250.000 Euro per year! :tdown:

Its time to give control to full automation satelite guided computersystems and autopilots. The biggest danger for passangers are the human pilots.

1396471275147.jpg

We cant even imagine the small skills of someone who has to live in Zimbabwe.

:lol:

It's good to know that Germany finally introduced minimum wage but it is far lower than my expectations. Come on Germany, this is similar to UK.. At least have it around 10 euros as one expect to have higher income in Germany and you already pay handsome amount for basic jobs.

My concern is won't this drive away small business ? I wonder if the fiscal repercussions to this mandate will affect Germany's already growing unemployment numbers.

My concern is won't this drive away small business ? I wonder if the fiscal repercussions to this mandate will affect Germany's already growing unemployment numbers.

How can small business pay the transport costs?!

The greedy Lufthansa Pilots earning 250.000 Euro per year! :tdown:

Its time to give control to full automation satelite guided computersystems and autopilots. The biggest danger for passangers are the human pilots.

This is quite wrong. A pilot has the duty to care for up to 900 passengers and each plane is worth up to 350 million €. He has alot more responsibility than a manager or politician. And no, full automation is not accepted.

German unemployment is on a alltime low. And small business? If someone does not pay a wage you can live from the differece is subsidized from our tax money. Such jobs are worthless anyway, so its ok that such business dies. Its worthless anyway.

This is quite wrong. A pilot has the duty to care for up to 900 passengers and each plane is worth up to 350 million €. He has alot more responsibility than a manager or politician. And no, full automation is not accepted.

German unemployment is on a alltime low. And small business? If someone does not pay a wage you can live from the differece is subsidized from our tax money. Such jobs are worthless anyway, so its ok that such business dies. Its worthless anyway.

An economist would disagree. Thanks for sharing your viewpoint.

We cant even imagine the small skills of someone who has to live in Zimbabwe.

:lol:
dude I run a football camp here. I have hired a few german football coaches who go to nearby villages and collect little kids. they then train them to become world class footballers. After they get accepted into a european football teams I get 25% of their salaries. Im looking into expanding my business into basketball and american football.

Back
Top Bottom